The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
That's at 4 inches, not feet...They also have ratings at 2m.

The Nautilus is a nifty idea, but the GPS air horns are even louder, at 118dB at 2m compared to 115dB for the Nautilus.

Steve, discord is what you want. You want to wake people up, not relax them with a nice soothing harmony.

http://www.stebel.it/stebel/

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I did a direct comparison of the FIAMM Freeway Blaster high & low tone horns to the Hella two-trumpet air horns I purchased from Performance Buyers Club as a kit for my Miata.

The Hella air horns were about 6dB louder according to my Radio Shack meter, and subjectively much louder and more shrill.

I had purchased the FIAMMs to replace the air horns because I thought that they would be louder, but I've put the air horns back in. The FIAMMs have been installed to replace the stock horn in a Protege5. They're much louder than the feeble "meep meep" single disc horn that it came with (which was similar to the Miata's stock horn, and presumably the Elise's).

I haven't had any maintenance or longevity issues with the air horns after almost 4 years of use. They've seen some snow driving, but not a lot. Plenty of rain driving, though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.