The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just watched the Phoenix land on Mars live on the Discovery Channel. I find it all so thrilling!!! Who are the astronomy enthusiasts on this site besides me?!!!

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
I'm closer to the stars than most people...does that count ?

·
Registered
430 Posts
I watched it as well. Was neat. I love sci fi / space stuff. Wish I was in aero engineering. I missed the last 5 minutes, did they end up showing pictures of the surface?

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Yep!

Plus, right now, MARS is close to the star cluster "Beehive" (in Earth's sky)!

Get your BINOCULARS out.......NOW!!!!!:panic: NOW!!!
Look for MARS (Western sky after sunset). Focus on MARS as a "pinpoint". Scan your binocs slightly down and to the right.

The Beehive is one of the closest star clusters, containing dozens of gleaming suns! It's 530 Light Years from Earth. Designation is M-44.

My Saffron Yellow attracts bees.:mad:
My number on the track is 44. "Beehive!:D

--Hal

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Phoenix-SUCCESSFUL!

Now just wait for the pictures.
Sorry about the Hijack, I thought it might be neat to view the "real" Mars in the sky at the same time the Phoenix data received...

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Plus, right now, MARS is close to the star cluster "Beehive" (in Earth's sky)!

Get your BINOCULARS out.......NOW!!!!!:panic: NOW!!!
Look for MARS (Western sky after sunset). Focus on MARS as a "pinpoint". Scan your binocs slightly down and to the right.

The Beehive is one of the closest star clusters, containing dozens of gleaming suns! It's 530 Light Years from Earth. Designation is M-44.

My Saffron Yellow attracts bees.:mad:
My number on the track is 44. "Beehive!:D

--Hal
I found Mars... but nothing else... maybe I'll have better luck after sunset ;)

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Now just wait for the pictures.
Sorry about the Hijack, I thought it might be neat to view the "real" Mars in the sky at the same time the Phoenix data received...
Phoenix Mars Mission - Gallery

Images have already been received. If you act now, you might get into this site before it gets busy.

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
Well, there is this "club and steak house" called "Stars" here in Portland, and I've watched some phenomenal things there before...rotfl

But I also watched the documentary on Discovery about the Phoenix ;)
The commentators were talking a little too much during the final descent for my taste, and it was hard to hear what was going on in the control room.
Other than that I liked it, and I hope that they soon have some good pictures and test results to show.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Here is a pic of the Mars Rover I took last year

It was a really long trip, but I flew business class

Q

·
0 Posts
Where are the alien chicks with 6 boobies and the little dudes with eyes on top of antennae?

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
It just looks like the moon. I thought Mars was red :shrug:.

j/k. I know those are really pictures of the moon :D. I'm not quite that dumb. (Please don't argue that point either way... I'd be bound to lose.)

But how do we know what the moon looks like ?
I thought we've only been to a desert somewhere in Nevada, and that's where we got all our "moon" pictures from rotfl:shrug:
Are you saying that mars looks like Nevada :eek:

:popcorn:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts