·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Discuss

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
Good actor ! ( Slim Pickens.......right ? :shrug: )

Attachments

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
Well......... we all know the oil's not gunna keep flowin forever. It flowed long enough to make the politicians really rich...and their great great great grandkids will never want for anything. BUT... that doesn't help out the little guy does it ?... I'd like wind generators to be as common as TV antennas were in the 60's.... just as small....and efficient enough to power the whole house.

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
the bombardment of fort pickens was a brilliant strategic move Randy, but i am not sure what your getting at? :p

Attachments

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
Looks like a lot of hot air to me.

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
It's a step in the right direction.
May not be the best or the final solution, but wind and natural gas beat the tar out of the other plan (or lack there of), which is simply do more of the same.

I think it's fair to say that we're in a metaphorical hole with oil. It's been that way for a long time, but it's just now in peoples' face. I don't think using the same shovel we used to dig ourselves into this hole is the right tool to get ourselves out of it... Something new is in order and I admire Pickens for the push to change....

Even if it is profit driven... afterall, there's no shame in making a buck off a good idea (Pickens owns more natural gas distribution than he knows what to do with;))...and if his profit driven motives create more sustainable/green/"eco friendly"/etcetera type energy, then more power to him.

Best,

Phil

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
T. Boone Pickens has the right idea. America must stop it's depedence on foreign oil... and windpower is a largely untapped resource in America. Pickens plan is not perfect but he has some good ideas for starting points.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
If I could afford it, I'd install an on-grid PV system on my home.

I don't know the details of the plan, but my impression in positive.

·
Premium Member
11,897 Posts
Well, we know wind power can work some, but it kills lots of birds.

Natural gas for cars? Not sure how well that works besides some fleet demos.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts

OMG- I didn't think of the dead birds. Seriously, that is terrible to think about! glb thinks a lot of things out- a very intelligent (and humane) man!!

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
the new wind generators emit a sound that deters bird activity

·
Registered
3,393 Posts

Natural gas for cars... Several years ago, the State of Arizona was offering tax credits for alternative fuel vehicles. The program was promoted by one of the state's representatives.

It was a disaster. Car dealers were offering converted vehicles -- strap on a 10 gallon CNG tank and a control box to switch between CNG and gasoline. There were huge tax credits. It seems like a lot of the Mormon population cashed in on the deal -- a lot of Suburbans were sold.

It was going to cost the state over $400M. The plan was reversed.

eidt: Correction... read about it here... Epic Fail!

Anatomy of A Debacle: Arizona's Alt-Fuels Program

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
We need affordable solar panels. All of us live in a place with a roof on it. I'm tired of logging into Digg and almost daily reading articles about advancements in solar tech.....but just hearing the same things over and over for years now without these "solutions" ever tricking down to the average consumer. You would think by now you could go to home depot and buy some $300 solar panels to put on your roof- but not so much.

·
Premium Member
11,897 Posts
I called an auto exec/engineer, asked about CNG cars:

Not a lot of range

Heavy gas tanks

Must have computerized controls to shut car down if a leak

About 3000 lbs/sq in is required

Energy will be req'd to keep tank cold enough

He'd visited a number of state orgs that are mandated to use dual-fuel cars. Turns out that 92% were set for gasoline, not CNG.

BTW, automakers get a CAFE benefit for building flex-fuel vehicles...even if the buyers cannot get or won't use any but gasoline. tsk..

·
Premium Member
11,897 Posts
OMG- I didn't think of the dead birds. Seriously, that is terrible to think about! glb thinks a lot of things out- a very intelligent (and humane) man!!
Thank you, K, for the kind compliment.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
I don't see much of a "plan" there at all.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts