The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldn't resist heading down to the Pittsburgh Auto Show at the new Convention Center by the Allegheny River in Pittsburgh on the opening day, Saturday, Feb. 14th. I had talked to Curt, the sales guy at Ascot Motors in Sewickley with whom I had placed my deposit, and knew he would be there by 5:00...

Well, it was funny going in. It was like you'd had a date set up for Valentine's day. You'd seen pictures and heard a lot about her personality and reputation, but never met the girl, yet you were practically engaged. How would she look in real life? Would there be the right chemistry?

I'm about 6' 3" and was worried about fitting in the driver's seat and seeing out the windshield. My back was bothering me due to shoveling the snow and slush we've had around here for a month or so, and was worried about whether I could flex enough to get in at all.

So it was a funny feeling to wander through all these cars on the way to finding Elise. There was the BMW Z4. Has to be a good car, should be impressive, but it just doesn't do anything for me. Then they had a 'Vette, a 50-year commemorative model that went for $57,000. Looked bland outside and like anything else inside. There was a 2002 Maserati; pretty neat, but $80 Grand? There was an XJ8, or whatever they're calling them now, and a couple Astons, which, pardon me, you were not allowed to approach. But who wants a luxury car anyway? Not I.

Hundreds of cars, glitzy and glamory, guys walking around wiping off finger prints as fast as gooey kids could slop up the vehicles. Then there was a Boxter and some other Porsches, but I hardly saw them, as right across the isle was a single, gorgeous, sleek automobile that the British saw fit to design, engineer and outfit just for me. There she was for real.

I've checked out all the pictures here and on Lotuscarsforum I could find, from this show and that, from English owners, etc. None of the pictures does the car justice. It's a dream. On looks, sexiness, raw appeal, it puts to total shame the Corvette, the Beemer, any Porsche made. As an automobile, judged on all its qualities, it's truly a dream...

But did I fit? Curt wasn't due for a while, so I had to wander about looking at the hordes of other cars, but hardly seeing them. One time they asked Paul Newman why, with all the babes he encountered in movies, that he never cheated on his wife. "Why eat hamburger," he said, "when you've got steak at home?" I was ready for steak.

You guys who haven't seen or sat in an Elise yet, you're in for a treat. Did I fit my tall, 200-lb frame into this gem? Like a glove. I oozed into the seat like it had been waiting for hours (if not years) for me to show up. Was it comfy? Like the Brits had taken my body and built a cockpit around it. The edges of the bucket seat were tight on my hips, but they're leather (the seat rims, that is), and, like good new shoes, the seat will break in around me.

I was # 37 here in Pittsburgh, but I guess I've moved up a bit. I told Curt I didn't care to get one of the first ones anyway. Let the boys practice up a bit before they make mine.

Getting out, by the way, was a lot tougher than getting in. But it wasn't a physical problem -- really, getting in and out was easy. Bringing myself to get out, now that was tough.

I don't have any pictures. The Pittsburgh Elise is a red one, and you've all seen pics of red ones. What you need is to see a real Elise. It blows its rivals away. I've driven S2000s and Porsches, sat in MR2s and seen all the ones I mentioned and more. There is nothing like this car, and I haven't even driven one yet. And that's supposed to be the best part!!

·
Registered
446 Posts
I'm another guy from DC with an Elise on order - and I've never seen one. So I've decided to go up to this show next weekend to see the car for the first time and make sure I fit in it (I'm only 5'11 210#'s but lift weights so my back & shoulders are relatively broad). Should I call Curt in advance to see make sure he's there so I can sit in the car?

p.s. The car at this show is just as I want mine = Ardent red, sports package, hardtop. I'm so psyched to see it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This Elise didn't have a hard top, but Curt or somebody explained that the hard top doesn't have any padding or depth to it. I had three or four inches above my head, and had a good line of sight out the windshield. The hard top shouldn't take much, if anything, away from that, if, indeed, it doesn't have some padding or a cloth cover.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Just got back from the Pittsburg Auto Show. Went with JohnnyQuest. Curt was very nice and pleasant to deal with. He let JohnyQuest and I sit in the car while all non-deposit holders could only gawk. I don't believe I saw any other car garner as much constant attention as the Elise. I was unable to take any pics as the crowd constantly hoovered over the car.

·
Registered
446 Posts
nxm150 said:
Just got back from the Pittsburg Auto Show. ... Curt was very nice and pleasant to deal with. He let JohnyQuest and I sit in the car while all non-deposit holders could only gawk. I don't believe I saw any other car garner as much constant attention as the Elise. I was unable to take any pics as the crowd constantly hoovered over the car.
Ditto to all that. I did manage to find a quick gap in the crowd to take a couple of pictures of me near & in the car. I was impressed with it in almost every way. What I wan't prepared for was climbing into it, but I don't mind that one bit. By comparison, it made getting into my old 3rd generation RX7 seem easy, but the driving position is even better than the 7 - something I didn't think was possible until now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts