The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It appears that thread was deleted? Or has anyone bumped into it? It appears this may be a "good news" only forum as there was some discussion on camshafts going bad and Lotus' denying the warranty claim

I'm interested in learning that if the problem occurs (cylinder 3 camshaft lobes fail) and it is fixed, is it truly fixed, or is there a risk of the failure re-occuring?

My suspicions are that Lotus has a too aggressive ECU tune, which if the case, that can be corrected if we push for it

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
11000 miles and I'm broke. :shrug:

·
Registered
263 Posts

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
I haven't looked yet; but, if that thread's been deleted, it kind of makes one wonder now, doesn't it? I hate to be a conspiracy theorist. Too close to the mark? Is there really more going on than what is being disseminated? :shrug: (I do have a post from someone close to the situation (also deleted) stating that it is a known problem.)

Let me reiterate in bold this time - NHTSA. Their threads don't get deleted. Although now that I've posted that acronym, this one's probably sure to get deleted as well. :rolleyes:

IVOQ - File a Complaint

Grassroots ain't gonna cut it from what I'm seeing, kids!

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Hmmmm, interesting.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Let me reiterate in bold this time - NHTSA. Their threads don't get deleted. Although now that I've posted that acronym, this one's probably sure to get deleted as well. :rolleyes:

IVOQ - File a Complaint

Grassroots ain't gonna cut it from what I'm seeing, kids!
You're right, nothing is going to happen via this forum, and the only official way of "going public" is via NHTSA

Please do this, for your sake, for future owners' sake, and the integrity of the Lotus brand

If this gets resolved, I'll be back in the used Elise market

By the way, there's another post in the "front page" of this section of the forum on this issue ... person believes the cams were not adequately hardened

The internals are all Toyota I believe, so if true, we'd have Matrix's and Celica's with the same issue ... we don't, which points the problem at the Lotus ECU tune

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
You're right, nothing is going to happen via this forum, and the only official way of "going public" is via NHTSA

Please do this, for your sake, for future owners' sake, and the integrity of the Lotus brand

If this gets resolved, I'll be back in the used Elise market

By the way, there's another post in the "front page" of this section of the forum on this issue ... person believes the cams were not adequately hardened

The internals are all Toyota I believe, so if true, we'd have Matrix's and Celica's with the same issue ... we don't, which points the problem at the Lotus ECU tune
I already filed a complaint a few months ago since that's the only way something will get done about it. Thus far, I'm the only one who has. IMO, the reason people aren't so up in arms about it because most have had it fixed under warranty. I still think that even if they've had it fixed under warranty that it should be reported since this is clearly not an isolated incident and we would all finally start getting some answers.

I, too, made mention of their ECU tune and possible failure to maintain a sufficient safety margin. The duty cycle that the 2nd cam sees on these cars is far greater than on the Celica or Matrix. My questions were met with a mixture of obstruction and placation. In other words, "We don't buy that you weren't the cause of the failure and we believe that there is nothing else that could have possibly caused your problem. We'll have our engineers look into it when we have a chance."

I'm waiting for cars coming out of warranty to start experiencing this. Maybe that will light a fire under people to take action.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'd like to get behind Icedog 16's comments but push from a different angle

If not for the common good, then do so for your own pocketbook

Prices for used Elise/Exige's will free fall if this issue is not corrected before your car comes off warranty ... try selling a car that may need a new camshaft/top end job every so often

In the best interests of protecting your investment, please continue the process that Icedog has started by contacting Lotus of America and letting them know you're concerned about the resale of your car, so you're going to register the complaint via IVOQ - File a Complaint so that an official knowledge base can be accumulated, assisting Lotus in doing the right thing for it's current and future owners

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
We've got ~50,000 miles and no cam problems.

It may not be owner's faults, but it isn't an expensive repair and it isn't a catastrophic failure.

People are making waaaay to big of a deal about this.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
We've got ~50,000 miles and no cam problems.

It may not be owner's faults, but it isn't an expensive repair and it isn't a catastrophic failure.

People are making waaaay to big of a deal about this.
Well, when it's your daily driver, you have less than 20K on the clock, you aren't supposed to drive it lest you risk putting a valve into a piston, and you're told that it will cost $4600-$6500 to repair, get back to me. That strikes me as not being inexpensive (it is ~10-15% of the vehicle's cost new and ~15-25% of the vehicle's current value) and, if not catastrophic, a heck of an inconvenience both from a transportation and financial perspective.

And when it's occurring on cars with as little 2900 miles on them, somehow I don't think that's making too big a deal about it - especially now that cars are coming out of warranty and the owners, whether original or not, will now end up bearing the cost. Maybe it's not a lot of money to you, but I can think of lots of other things I'd rather do with $5K.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts