The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I figured it would be a good idea to make one of these. Just a list of some of the noises that has fixes and even though ones that don't. Ill list some of the ones that I have encountered and have been able to fix. Feel free to add more.

Sun Visor: If its all the way forward it hits against the windshield and rattles.

Rear Clam/window (courtesy of tespirt): When its hot outside the fiberglass expands and hits against the back glass area and causes rattles that you hear behind you. Just place a small piece of rubber between the rear clam and the rear window to prevent this.

Undertray: I would get this really bad rattle at low rpms in 1st. It ended up being a bad washer on one of the undertray bolts.

Hard top (courtesy of another member here): An annoying squeak that above the drivers head from the hard top. The bolt that screws in the right rear doesnt fit properly even though it seems that its tight. It needs to be filled it so the screw will not sit loosely in there.

hardtop creak
In hot weather the hardtop would develop an annoying creak near the plastic mounting blocks. I finally fixed the problem using moleskin (sticky backed felt) between the mating surfaces of the mounting blocks and the hardtop.

My A/C lines running up the right sill rattle while my A/C is on. Re-securing the lines will eliminate the rattle.

·
Registered
885 Posts
hardtop creak

In hot weather the hardtop would develop an annoying creak near the plastic mounting blocks. I finally fixed the problem using moleskin (sticky backed felt) between the mating surfaces of the mounting blocks and the hardtop.

Reactions: fverburg

·
2006 SportElise #9
268 Posts
My A/C lines running up the right sill rattle while my A/C is on. Re-securing the lines will eliminate the rattle.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...my A/C sounds like a supercharger if i use it while driving hard - wishful thinking, i know, but it's nice that mehve has aspirations...

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
I have a really obnoxious rattle almost like loose change is somewhere banging against the floorboard. I checked and there's nothing there. It also sort of sounds like your keys could be danging and hitting the steering column but that's not the case either. Seems to only be heard over bumps in the road.

·
Registered
2008 Exige S240
3,072 Posts
The aluminum floor underneath the seats doesn't have any resonance suppressant. Stick some dynamat or equivalent on the bare floor and the vibration will cease.

-Robert

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
where have u been monsta? PS vote to change to the "bump and grind" thread

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
The aluminum floor underneath the seats doesn't have any resonance suppressant. Stick some dynamat or equivalent on the bare floor and the vibration will cease.

-Robert
Somewhat similar issue and solution. I stuffed my registration/insurance document folder under the passenger seat and the vibration stopped. TADTS

·
Modern Day Hippie
3,839 Posts
Uhm... if it doesn't rattle or squeak, somethings wrong. :p

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Rear Clam/window (courtesy of tespirt): When its hot outside the fiberglass expands and hits against the back glass area and causes rattles that you hear behind you. Just place a small piece of rubber between the rear clam and the rear window to prevent this.
This is the only squeak / rattle that I have, but it definitely wasn't hot outside when I drove it up from Nashville at the end of January...does anybody know if there's another cause of this? I presumed it was just a character trait but who knows...would make the car seem less "cheap" :panic:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hard top (courtesy of another member here): An annoying squeak that above the drivers head from the hard top. The bolt that screws in the right rear doesnt fit properly even though it seems that its tight. It needs to be filled it so the screw will not sit loosely in there.
when you say it needs to be "filled" it so the screw will not sit loosely in there. what do you mean? sorry if i sound ignorant.. just not sure im reading it right and not understanding.

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts
bump

·
Registered
115 Posts
In the pool section of your favorite store, you can find a small tube of grease that helps seal/lube rubber fittings. It also works for hard tops to stop squeaks.

·
Premium Member
2005 Lotus Elise; 2007 Lotus Exige S; 2012 Porsche 991S
1,590 Posts
when you say it needs to be "filled" it so the screw will not sit loosely in there. what do you mean? sorry if i sound ignorant.. just not sure im reading it right and not understanding.
Yeah I don't get it either. And which screw is this? I'm having a similar problem with my hard top.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts