The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently bought an 83 Esprit from someone in NE Texas. I've been prowling for one for awhile, and this came available in the year & color I wanted; so I bought it without checking it out personally (my bad, but it is what it is). According to the previous owner the car is a recent award winner, and in tip top shape.

When I got the car I was expecting some things that needed repairing. What I wasn't expecting was a broken drivers door, probably from over-extending. It looked like someone tried to repair it before selling the car and it bounced loose during transport, and is probably something I wouldn't have found if I did go up there. There was also a plethora of other things wrong. missing mirrors, fouled spark plugs, boot & bonnet gas struts don't work, etc-

I've gotten the big things fixed and am now working on the small stuff, and it's all good because I realize that I own one of approx. 1,000 cars worldwide. I get to drive a vehicle that most people dream about looking at & I'm looking forward to having a lot of (safe) fun with it.

Attachments

·
Registered
831 Posts
When I was a kid in suburban Detroit in the mid-'70's, I went with my Mom to a local store in a strip mall nearby. I saw a swoopy yellow car driven by a woman and couldn't resist asking what is it? She told me it was a new Lotus. I thought it was the very coolest thing ever. She told me it was designed by Giugaro, who I knew about since I also wanted an Alfa Alfetta, or realistically wanted my Dad to buy, and I was just in love. The woman told me the car was the first esprit in the US and that her husband had something to do with it.

Still looks cool as hell. Congrats.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A friend of mine had an 85 Esprit back in the early 90s. He let me borrow it a bunch of times, and that's when I decided that I wanted one.

I was a lot younger, a little thinner, and not nearly as grey in this picture. Will take an identical picture with the red one

Attachments

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
Great looking Esprit. I really like your color combination and vintage.
Enjoy in good health and yes you are a brave man not to have it checked, but sometimes you just need to take a chance.

vincesf

·
Registered
480 Posts
Congrats on the new car, love the color. Hope to see you in Orlando later this year for the LOG.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts