The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I read that Lotus said that if cars are distributed evenly among all dealers, that each dealer would get about 40 cars by the end of the year. If we are >10 and <41, when will we place our orders, how about the people >40. When is Lotus going to know how many car are going to be allocated to each dealer?

·
Registered
607 Posts
That seems to me to mean 40 cars from when they first appear in the US through December 2004, much less than 12 month's worth. Clyde at the Auto Show told me I might expect mine at the end of this year, being #66 at Symbolic, BH. Harry at Symbolic told me likely early next year.

I imagine we'll be contacted about 4 months prior to expected delivery, as the first batch has been.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
30 cars to every dealer - only 38 dealers now - but say there are 50 by then ---- 30 X 50 = 1500 Federal cars. Are they going to sell the rest of the 2500 or so they plan to make in Argentina? LOL

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I read Lotus is not adding any new dealerships anytime soon. I am just referring to cars being delivered from June - December.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Those estimates of 40 cars per dealer are based on FISCAL year not calendar year, Tony Shute estimates 2300 US cars for the first model year.

Lotus is not holding off adding dealers for two years, they plan to end up with about 50 dealers by the end of two years.

Chris

·
Registered
138 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
Those estimates of 40 cars per dealer are based on FISCAL year not calendar year, Tony Shute estimates 2300 US cars for the first model year.

Lotus is not holding off adding dealers for two years, they plan to end up with about 50 dealers by the end of two years.

Chris

I am not sure what this means. What is considered their FISCAL year? What is considered the model year? Thanks

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I DON'T GIVE A CRAP ABOUT ANY OF THAT - I'M #33 ON MAG'S LIST - WHEN AM I GOING TO GET A CAR IS ALL I CARE ABOUT. WHO CARES IF THE PRICE GOES UP A BIT?
WHERE IS MY CAR?
WHO CARES IF IT HAS UGLY REFLECTORS?
WHERE'S MY DAMN CAR?
I WANT ARGENT RED WITH HARD TOP, TOURING PACKAGE AND FOG LIGHTS BUT I'D TAKE PINK WITH GREEN POLKADOTS.
WHEN ARE THEY GOING TO SHIP MY FRICKIN CAR?
WHO CARES IF THE ROOF LEAKS?
IT CAN'T LEAK ON ME IF I DON'T HAVE THE CAR - WHERE THE HELL IS IT?
I FEEL MUCH BETTER NOW............................

·
Registered
206 Posts
(tightening straps on jacket) Here is your special medicine little fella. Just sip this as I put your Yanni CD on again.

I hate it when he gets like this. If it wasn't for his Lotus pacifier (actually a leather shift knob from a 86 Elise) I don't know what we would do.

;)

·
Registered
252 Posts
I was told by my dealer in Dallas that they think they will get 75 cars for the 2005 model year. This is a 15 month allocation since they will start delivery in May or June. So they may expect about 5 cars a month. That actually adds up to about 2800 cars for the 38 dealers. She stated that this was a possibility but she was not sure.

·
Registered
247 Posts
All dealers are not created equal, not all markets are equal either.
I find it HIGHLY unlikely that each and every Lotus dealer will recieve the same allotment of Elises. As I've said before in other threads, dealers in larger markets should recieve more cars than those in smaller markets. Lotus would be crazy to send the same amount of cars to Denver as it would to Los Angeles.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Delivery Schedules

Regarding the first "year" allocation of cars (I believe the number 2,300 has been thrown about most often) the Lotus guys at the LA show stated to me that this number was for the first 12 months of production i.e. cars to be delivered from May/June 2004 through April/May 2005. I am not aiming to contradict anyone else's statements here, just reporting what I was told.

FWIW, I don't think they will be allocated evenly among all dealerships either, but if they were this would mean 2300/38 = 60 cars in first 12 months i.e. an average of 5 cars per dealer per month.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I spoke to Tony Shute at the show. He seemed pretty adamant that the numbers would be around 2200 cars a year (i.e. up to June 2005) and that the yearly production would stay at that level.

Basically he said that thaat was the number of cars that demand would be sustained at, and at that number, the car would keep its exclusivity.

Apparently, when the car was launched in the UK, there were back orders on it for about 18 months to 2 years, and for the first few years it was possible to sell the car for about what you paid for it.

It looks like Lotus is not looking for boom/bust production here, but to keep it as smooth as possible, and build money and an interest base for higher model cars in the future (M250, Esprit replacement)

Steve

·
Registered
607 Posts
Re: Delivery Schedules

roadrunner said:
FWIW, I don't think they will be allocated evenly among all dealerships either, but if they were this would mean 2300/38 = 60 cars in first 12 months i.e. an average of 5 cars per dealer per month.
If it is that even distribution, I wonder what those with a deposit number 180 or higher will do/think. I have heard from Clyde at the Auto Show that deposits have gone 200 or so at some dealerships.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts