The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When Ridgeman believed all dealers should receive equal allocation....approx.
56 cars each per year....he was attacked
by the left-coast who felt that all dealers
out there should receive about 150-200
cars each. Sure looks like now that those in the L.A. area (Symbolic waitlist-ees) would accept the 'yearly' 56 in a New York minute!:)

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Ridgemanron said:
cars each. Sure looks like now that those in the L.A. area (Symbolic waitlist-ees) would accept the 'yearly' 56 in a New York minute!:)
I recall you claiming that all dealers "would" receive the same allocation, not that they "should". Clearly all dealers are not equal, when it comes to allocations. I think that the jury is still out on how well or poorly California dealers are doing - let's see where we are in June.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jml1952 said:
I recall you claiming that all dealers "would" receive the same allocation, not that they "should". Clearly all dealers are not equal, when it comes to allocations. I think that the jury is still out on how well or poorly California dealers are doing - let's see where we are in June.
- 'Would'a, could'a, should'a ' is the lament of all you disgruntled west-coasters as I peruse this 'Galpin' thread. Unless I no longer remember being at the executive level meetings at Lotus when actual allocations were being finalized, there is no way 'I would'ed' when 'I should'ed'.
I do remember relaying the words of people like Becker & O''Shaughnessey,
as well as that of Hale and English, which led me to think that 56 cars per dealer might coincide with Hale's
mention of 'building a national program'. When he 'later' added that
the largest ordering was in the Northeast, even though large individual dealers like LOA and Fox Valley undoubtedly had heavy backlogs, I don't remember any mention of California. I'm sure it was
a momentary oversight that will be
confirmed when all those cars arrive
by June on the west coast and the rest of 'these here United States' are
counting monthly receivings on one....
or possibly two fingers of one hand. I
always said you guys were 'The Chosen People'! :)

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
Crazy talk...

Allocations have nothing to do with which coast they are on.

More cars have arrived and will arrive on the west coast during this 60 day period than will arrive on the east coast.

As mentioned before, the differences in total vins are easily explained by the extra delays in shipping to the west coast AND the delays at the port, which can add 2-4 weeks of time.

Most dealers are serviced by east coast shipments, even "west" dealers.

Ridge... why do you keep bringing this up?

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Randy Chase said:
Crazy talk...

Allocations have nothing to do with which coast they are on.

More cars have arrived and will arrive on the west coast during this 60 day period than will arrive on the east coast.

As mentioned before, the differences in total vins are easily explained by the extra delays in shipping to the west coast AND the delays at the port, which can add 2-4 weeks of time.

Most dealers are serviced by east coast shipments, even "west" dealers.

Ridge... why do you keep bringing this up?
Because of the numerous, continuous mentions by
people in Ca. that the amount of cars
received is miniscule and continues to
be. We are 5 months into deliveries,
Ca. continues to have few cars, one
of the site members reports daily that
zero cars have arrived...repeatedly, and two-week boat delays doesn't sound like logical reasons for so few
cars having arrived. The 'Symbolic - Galpin' fiasco means that cars originally believed to be going to Symbolic are no longer expected to arrive in Ca. unless you are going to
tell me that Lotus has decided to send
those 'allocated' cars to other dealers
only located throughout your state. That not being the case, would seem
to mean that L.A. is on the outside looking in and will be for some time.

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
Symbolic did not lose their Beverly Hills allocation. It is now coming out of La Jolla. A number of cars were taken by the dealer to sell at market value.

I can tell you that Symbolic enjoys a healthy allocation, perhaps that is what chaps you the wrong way? I expect over 100 cars per year for what was Beverly Hills and 100+ cars for the La Jolla location. They are now dekiving cars to people that were on the list at MSRP.

Lotus is working on the LA dealership issue.

I am surprised that you continue to miss the math on this. According to Lotus, by the end of this month, the west coast will "catch up" and have a similar allocation to the east coast dealerships.

Again the reasons for the delays are the extra shipping time going across the canal. The 2-3 weeks being held up at port. And for whatever reason, it takes longer at the west coast distribution center. Add one more week, if not two.

With over 50 cars being shipped in per week, that means based on equal allocations, on the average, 25 cars go to the west coast and 30 cars go to the east coast (more dealers such as those in Texas are served by the east coast).

With around 550 cars in the USA, perhaps 350 came into the east coast and 200 came into the west coast. Except that there is that 2 week + 3 week delay, or 5 weeks. 5 weeks times 25 cars is 125 cars. 125 cars is what the west coast should be behind the east coast.

Regardless, you are the only one that keeps harping on this. Perhaps your allocation is not as large as you wanted it to be?

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Ridgemanron said:
...one
of the site members reports daily that
zero cars have arrived...repeatedly,
I think you misread that - he was talking about LA *only*, and the context (I believe) was complaining about the lack of a Lotus dealer in that city, it had nothing to do with allocation. Cars are pouring in to this state, things are picking up and looking great. We're expecting over ten Elises to show up at an event this weekend in Campbell!

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Randy Chase said:
Symbolic did not lose their Beverly Hills allocation. It is now coming out of La Jolla. A number of cars were taken by the dealer to sell at market value.

I can tell you that Symbolic enjoys a healthy allocation, perhaps that is what chaps you the wrong way? I expect over 100 cars per year for what was Beverly Hills and 100+ cars for the La Jolla location. They are now dekiving cars to people that were on the list at MSRP.

Lotus is working on the LA dealership issue.

I am surprised that you continue to miss the math on this. According to Lotus, by the end of this month, the west coast will "catch up" and have a similar allocation to the east coast dealerships.

Again the reasons for the delays are the extra shipping time going across the canal. The 2-3 weeks being held up at port. And for whatever reason, it takes longer at the west coast distribution center. Add one more week, if not two.

With over 50 cars being shipped in per week, that means based on equal allocations, on the average, 25 cars go to the west coast and 30 cars go to the east coast (more dealers such as those in Texas are served by the east coast).

With around 550 cars in the USA, perhaps 350 came into the east coast and 200 came into the west coast. Except that there is that 2 week + 3 week delay, or 5 weeks. 5 weeks times 25 cars is 125 cars. 125 cars is what the west coast should be behind the east coast.

Regardless, you are the only one that keeps harping on this. Perhaps your allocation is not as large as you wanted it to be?
I have no problem with 'fairly' equal
allocations going nationwide. Not that
it affects me but Valenti should be
getting a 50 - 60 yearly allocation over
12 months. The figures you mention
only serve to state that, at best, the
west coast is on par with the rest of
us and not the 'pie in the sky' amounts
that would see enormous allocations
going to all Ca. dealers. You do seem
to have one 'other' problem and that
is, if cars are arriving and customers
with low numbers are not receiving
cars, then Ca. has the dubious
distinction of being the home of 'slick
dealers USA'.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Gosh Ridge, you really seem to have issues about how many cars Ca, gets, don't see what difference this makes to you, you're getting an east coast car.

Ridge, you should read some of the threas CA certainly doesn't have a lock on "Slick dealers" all these extra cars are coming from dealers somewhere, apparently the east coast.

Chris

·
Registered
670 Posts
The figures you mention
only serve to state that, at best, the
west coast is on par with the rest of
us and not the 'pie in the sky' amounts
that would see enormous allocations
going to all Ca. dealers.[/B]

I apparently missed how this started for you. I have the impression that someone said Calif would get the lions share, and you disagreed. Well, you were right. How long are you going to keep this up ?

Steve

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sownman said:
I apparently missed how this started for you. I have the impression that someone said Calif would get the lions share, and you disagreed. Well, you were right. How long are you going to keep this up ?

Steve
You are correct on
all your assumptions and the first person
in Ca. to acknowledge that markets
other than California are more than able
to hold their own when compared to
your state. Allocations may not be the
'equal for all dealers' that I envisioned
being the fairest, but at least by region,
dealers in the mid-west, south-west,
south-east, and north-east are just as
important to Lotus as any other.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
zvezdah1 said:
Gosh Ridge, you really seem to have issues about how many cars Ca, gets, don't see what difference this makes to you, you're getting an east coast car.

Ridge, you should read some of the threas CA certainly doesn't have a lock on "Slick dealers" all these extra cars are coming from dealers somewhere, apparently the east coast.

Chris
Chris - You were the first one to go
ballistic when west coast site members
began with their 'we deserve the
largest allocations!' The difference
between you and I is that whereas I
was hoping for everyone to get a
nice piece of the pie, all you ever
cared about was your dealership.
I won't even get into the 'Arnie' or
'English' matters concerning you. They
are a matter of record that everyone
is aware of. P.S. - My car is being built
as I speak, so yearly allocations don't
really affect me. Still, I think fairness,
nationwide is something all should try
to attain.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I thought the reason Cali was getting so few cars is that Lotus acknowledged that the whole state was going to fall into the ocean any day now... and they didn't want to waste any cars.:p

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
If Symbolic is getting 100+ cars for both the La Jolla and Beverly Hills lists, then that supports the earlier contention that California (especially Southern California) would receive more than the average dealer allocation. Last time I looked, 100 was a lot more than the 50-60 avg allocation that your precious Valenti expects to receive. And a lot more than seem to be going to places like Salt Lake City and Seattle, for example.

My car is due in a few weeks at MSRP from Symbolic off the BH list. The fact that they probably skimmed several cars off the top to sell to the highest bidder probably cost me a couple of months of driving, but in the end going with a dealer that I expected to receive a hefty allocation seems to have paid off.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Ridgemanron said:
Symbolic is getting way more than 56 cars a year per dealer (BH and LJ). They have only just begun to look at the list in the past few weeks, so hopefully, things should start moving soon.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts