The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SET UP

Did anyone watch the season preimer on Speed of the second season of Set Up. As far as reality tv racing shows go its pretty good IMO. But parts do get cornie.

What do you guys think about the show?

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
I admit I like this show. But the cooler thing, is when you know people who are competing.

This season (started airing on Thursday yesterday), there are two buddies on the show. Both with Elise connections.

Kevin Dietz out of the Seattle area is driving. Mike "Junior" Johnson from somewhere east is on the team driving.

Kevin at times drive an Elise in the Seattle area autocrosses. Mike drove Jenn and George's Orange Pumpkin car at the 2005 SCCA Nationals. They are both very talented drivers and great public speakers and all around good guys.

Last season Kevin was part of the crew for Ron Bauer who came in second.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Junior, woohoo, thanks, I'll DVR it. For those who don't know Junior he is quite possibly the best MC/Announcer SCCA Nationals has ever had.

Threads merged.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Thanks Babak. I should learn how to search.

My excuse is I am at an airport with limited browsing ability but bored out of my mind...missing a flight and having to wait 6 hours for the next one sucks.

Another SETUP connection. Both Junior and Kevin are Evolution Driving School instructors, which is partially owned by Robert Puertas.

Lee Grimes of Koni was on also. Lee is a buddy of a lot of our's.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Somebody beat me to it.

Im Pumped for another season of set-up.!

Im sooo happy they replaced the Dark haired Co-Host girl with another. The new one is alittle quite. I cant imagine her being worse than the other though.

What with no Karting expierence?Half the squad sucked at karts. If your a good driver. You should be able to drive a kart!

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
watched about 15 mins of it, then starting streaming a replay of sunday's knightrider premier. LOL

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
I enjoyed it. I watched last season, too, and thought it was well-conceived and conveyed the effort required to be a pro driver pretty well. It appears this season has ironed out some of last year's forced moments and feels more like a straightforward documentary to me.

Tom

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What with no Karting expierence?Half the squad sucked at karts. If your a good driver. You should be able to drive a kart!

True but for the style driver that likes to force the car into the corner karts are not for them because if your to tall and the rear axle is not set wide enough then you spin, and as they said you spin you go home.

they did get 2 laps to get the feel but. karts are touchie,you have to be jst as smooth on and off the gas as with a real car, believe it or not you have to know your stuff to set a shifter cart up.

and i'm sorry randy i didn't know where this discussion would fall so i guess i should have just started it in other instead of having you move it

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
True but for the style driver that likes to force the car into the corner karts are not for them because if your to tall and the rear axle is not set wide enough then you spin, and as they said you spin you go home.

they did get 2 laps to get the feel but. karts are touchie,you have to be jst as smooth on and off the gas as with a real car, believe it or not you have to know your stuff to set a shifter cart up.

and i'm sorry randy i didn't know where this discussion would fall so i guess i should have just started it in other instead of having you move it
I guess i just was an natural at karts. I went to Bondurant Kart racing school a couple years back and had a flipping blast. I was by far the best in class. So good one of the instructors opted to get in a kart and come out play with me. He quoted to me "And your sure you've never been on a kart before"+"Your one of the best beginners ive ever seen...Of course besides myself"

Not to say much about the rest of the class. My fiance at the time did the class with me. She was the second best next to me. She also Slammed into the back of one of the other classmates. Lucky i talked myself out of having to pay for the Bent front bar. (supposedly the guy"stalled" in front of her)

I was proud. Too bad my parents were'nt multi-millionairs and could have raised me to be an F1 driver. :(

But i still think if your talented driver you should be able to just hop in a kart and after 3 laps warming up put down some pretty decent times.

·
Registered
259 Posts
My brother-in-law did all the tire mounting and balancing for the show. He actually bought all the used tires and is reselling them cheap.rotfl

-Rob

·
Registered
17 Posts

I wish that we got two laps to warm up. Actually, we only got 3/4 of a lap and then we got the green flag for two hot laps. That's it...:shrug: I know one thing, if there were a kart track around Richmond, I'd own one.:up: Tony Karts due 0-60 in 2.3 seconds, and pull 3g's under braking.:eek: I can tell you one thing for sure, you need to be in the right gear coming out of the corner, or it's not pleasant.

For the record, I really didn't have any shifter kart experience to speak of. A few laps on an old kart, with no brakes, and I mean NO brakes. I finished 16th out of the 50+ potential drivers. (or at least that's what I heard) The drivers were not only judged on there kart times though. The interview process also played a vital role. :D I'm pretty sure I did OK on that end.

I hate how they open with the oval track course. :thwack:
I didn't...-eek- Maybe it's just cause Junior Johnson and Ovals just blend nicely.

My brother-in-law did all the tire mounting and balancing for the show.
Tell your brother-in-law I said hello. The two guys that did all of the tires were really nice fellows.

Keep watching,
Mike "Junior" Johnson
Evolution Performance Driving School

·
Registered
537 Posts
I think the show is pretty good. Yet, the infusion of drama is a little bit inapropriate. Yet, I still set my DVR to record the whole series. :)

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I wish that we got two laps to warm up. Actually, we only got 3/4 of a lap and then we got the green flag for two hot laps. That's it...:shrug: I know one thing, if there were a kart track around Richmond, I'd own one.:up: Tony Karts due 0-60 in 2.3 seconds, and pull 3g's under braking.:eek: I can tell you one thing for sure, you need to be in the right gear coming out of the corner, or it's not pleasant.

For the record, I really didn't have any shifter kart experience to speak of. A few laps on an old kart, with no brakes, and I mean NO brakes. I finished 16th out of the 50+ potential drivers. (or at least that's what I heard) The drivers were not only judged on there kart times though. The interview process also played a vital role. :D I'm pretty sure I did OK on that end.

I didn't...-eek- Maybe it's just cause Junior Johnson and Ovals just blend nicely.

Tell your brother-in-law I said hello. The two guys that did all of the tires were really nice fellows.

Keep watching,
Mike "Junior" Johnson
Evolution Performance Driving School
Which one are you again junior. ??

Dont give anything away please it would ruin my Tv happiness. :p:popcorn:

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
its tonight. Dont forget.

Winter sucks. I become obsessed with TV.

·
Registered
431 Posts
+1 More driving, less drama infusion. But I love the concept. It made me laugh in the one episode where they said something like "This solo driver is really proving himself..." Seems like they don't have a clue how good you have to be to be a multi-time nation solo champion lol.

Can't wait to see how things end up, I know the outcome has already been determined but were rooting for you Mike!

·
Registered
59 Posts
I can't help but root for Kevin. He's co-driven my MR-S a few times and comes race with our club as often as he can. One of the nicest guys in the sport, albeit a bit of a goof at times.

Everything I've heard of Junior says he's a guy of the highest regard as well. I just hope you both did us Solo 2 guys proud. So far, so good. Junior seems to be surviving by just staying ahead of everyone, and Kevin's trying to save the car for later when things get tighter.

:clap:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts