The Lotus Cars Community banner
201 - 220 of 225 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
fun weekend of autocross in the STU evora. clutch is starting to go though. both days were pretty consistent in the field 15th on saturday and 12th on sunday in RAW times, pax was almost identical placement.very fast through the road course sections hitting 80mph and 3rd gear in a couple of places, just had to baby it off the line and in gear changes as I was noticing it starting to slip pretty bad. might try to get one more event in before it goes in for winter to work on a replacement clutch. suprised to see I ran faster then the 2gr swapped stripped out MR2 on slicks.
View attachment 1321424
View attachment 1321425
View attachment 1321426
I’ve wanted to get out and autox with you guys for years! I’m from the Badlands Region SCCA and have heard you have great events. I will have to try and make it out to Top Gun next summer. Looks like a great mix of cars as well. Hopefully your clutch lasts you til the end of the year!

·
Registered
86 Posts
I’ve wanted to get out and autox with you guys for years! I’m from the Badlands Region SCCA and have heard you have great events. I will have to try and make it out to Top Gun next summer. Looks like a great mix of cars as well. Hopefully your clutch lasts you til the end of the year!
NICE!, I used to live in ND and used to autocross a silver VW Corrado VR6 for years over there and checked out some SD events but never competed there, the next owner might have raced the car down there. only thing with the top gun event is with so many entries (100+), you only get like 3 runs a day from what I hear. if you want to just enjoy an awesome autocross come out when its just a regular event. we got 10 runs on the last one, each lap took almost a minute and half so its no small track layout.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #203 ·
Sorry it took so long, but here my fast lap at Packwood on first day. Ended up 2nd of 9 on first day. It REALLY is a beautiful site!!

Also sorry about the wind noise... my first time using my Go-Pro... and all the issues trying to get it here.

Sundays best coming eventually.

Reactions: jrwiseman

·
Premium Member
2007 Elise
490 Posts
so since this is autocross focused - been thinking lately about battery safety - last I would want is a lose battery damaging the rear clam - it has in fact happened in our region on an Exige. Sucks that weight is called out specifically around batteries, because an antigravity battery in a stock size would be awesome.

So what is everyone doing to secure the battery?

·
Premium Member
2007 Elise
490 Posts
Finally got back out to an event, and made some changes - softened the bar all the way and removed the shims in the front for camber - no clue what my alignment is at, will likely do that at the beginning of next season. Overall I liked how the car felt better - that being said I need to just learn to trust the car overall.

Few more events coming up - excited to learn more

Tire Wheel Sky Car Vehicle

·
Registered
2005 Starlight Black Lotus Elise
106 Posts
So I managed to go out to Lime Rock again now armed with the Hankook RS-4 tires and LSS wheels. I improved by almost 3 seconds from my last time out which I'm sure is a combo between the tires and that it wasn't raining this time out. I completely underestimated the amount of people that would sign up for one of the weekday autox events so my car was basically on a full tank when I made my run. Last time I came out, only 6 people showed and I left the track on empty. I'm going out one more time in 2 weeks and I plan on getting to the event with about half a tank and no hardtop if the weather will allow me which should save a good chunk of weight. I'm almost certain I can run a 45.xx with a lighter load.

I think I MIGHT be in the Lime Rock top 30 to make the invitational event in November. Organizer mentioned that a 46.50 was the cutoff but I won't know for sure until they update their website.

Handwriting Font Rectangle Parallel Pattern

I made a huge blunder this past winter and ordered a set of 16x6 LSS wheels instead of 6.5 but I'm living with it for now. It's kind of unfortunate too, because I rushed to get tires and wheels due to the shortage of tires this past spring but C.A.R.T has had a problem getting a permit to run at one of their locations, so a good chunk of the events have been cancelled this summer. So I could have waited and ended up with one of the many 6.5" wheels that have shown up and gotten my first choice of that new RE71RS tire. Oh well. Next season!

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #207 · (Edited)
Excellent!! That's the way! I suspect with the new RE71RS tires and 6.5" fronts you may drop another.5 to .75 secs. More fun now too I bet!! :)

Also, you may have likely seen it, but just in case I finally started a thread on the easy way to tell the front LSS rim widths.. even on the car. Others here my find it handy too.

Reactions: ThatguyLFS

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #208 ·
so since this is autocross focused - been thinking lately about battery safety - last I would want is a lose battery damaging the rear clam - it has in fact happened in our region on an Exige. Sucks that weight is called out specifically around batteries, because an antigravity battery in a stock size would be awesome.

So what is everyone doing to secure the battery?
Well, If you look at the other thread mentioned in the first post thread of this thread, you'll see I went through the battery issue at my first Auto-X in SKITLE when the battery flopped over and disconnected itself! I was lucky the "spring clamps let go and it died immediately. I had wondered what the "extra" bracket was in the trunk when I got it was ? ! As you know, a significantly different sized battery is not allowed in Street class.

But, a AS legal, safe alternative I tried that same day has worked so well, I left it in place since.

The problem is, the design as is basically requires the EXACT size as OEM. a .5" wider or narrower battery causes an issue. The original design has a "foot clamp" near/on the outside of the clam which you are supposed to slide the battery under. (Must be tight as you are not able to reach to tighten.) my battery was just a bit wide to have both clamps in place, thus the clam side clamp was the "spare" in my boot. I had tried to move prior to the AutoX, it seemed "somewhat" secure, but I figured maybe it couldn't go far?

Yeah, well, not the case.

IIRC, I flipped the clam side clamp upside down (can't remember, whichever would keep battery secure with out rubbing through) BUT I then took several substantial zip ties and went through the holes of the clamp on the inside and left open until I slid the battery in, then placed the outside clamp in place and connected the zip ties to that. Effectively the clamps are doing the heavy clamping, but the zip ties are assisting in the up/down and fore/aft movement. It looks a bit cheesy, but works. In a rollover it may not work, but the battery will be way down on the issues list at that point!

Reactions: Devilstar

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #209 ·
So, I feel a bit of an update is due here. Nope, I did not go to Nationals this year, still not comfortable with my Lincoln/concrete setup. While diesel/towing prices were down, So Cal is still HIGH prices, currently the best prices here @ 5.79 a gal and 11mpg towing gives pause for longer trips.. but I digress.

@Ebdavis went to Nats, but in SSC. Hard to say if his placement would have been better in AS! @donour nabbed the last trophy spot in STU, his new chosen class. There were no Elise in AS back in Lincoln... :confused:

BUT, apparently if you want to win in an street tire "X" class, you need a Lotus!! XA was 1 and 2 with an Evora S and XB had an Elise up front! Well done!

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #210 · (Edited)
On the local/personal front, I was the first person to go look at this fine ride for sale locally right here!

Automotive parking light Tire Vehicle Car Vehicle registration plate

The mileage was a bit high for "collectability", but not for reliability and my biggest issue was already having an S240, legal to run SCCA street class, whereas this car is not... :confused: at the time we have not come to an agreement, but others may... we shall see. A stunning car to be sure!

This same weekend I headed to the LA/Cal Club Auto-X and ran a fast open course and did pretty decent in PAX. STILL learning to trust the car. It seems if I am brave enough to try something, it often works!

Several people were still coming back from Nationals, so a smaller turnout, but some made it back in time. (Also, new timing program, hard to read and LOTS of downtime on Sunday waiting for it to operate! :cautious:)

Font Display device Technology Rectangle Computer

Some of you "may" know the Nationally ranked names above or below me.. :cool: Dennis Hubbard, just won the year end Pro championship in his ES MR2, 2nd in ES solo just a few days before. Jeff Stuart was back too and took 4th in STU, fastest "short course" time and running the same class as our @donour! Tom Layton and Marshall Grice, podium and top spots at Nationals in the past. So for me to end up in 3rd (4th overall PAX, an EV car driver got me in another class) I'm pretty happy.
I still insist the Lotus can be competitive or win in various classes both locally and nationally, keep it up folks!!

Reactions: donour

·
Registered
2005 Starlight Black Lotus Elise
106 Posts
@6TVRs+ That's a nice S260! I'm guessing it's not street eligible due to having less than 1k produced right? Super lucky to event get to see one in person. There is a 2010 phantom black S260 sport at WW right now that would already be in my garage if I had an abundance of funds. I'm actually impressed it's been on their site for 2 weeks now.

I'll have to give your zip tie "fix" a try. I had my battery come loose for the first time and I was lucky enough to only have acid everywhere. No clam damage, but my trunk carpet is worse for wear and the little plastic clip that holds the trunk prop in place has corroded away. I wiped everything down at the track and then deep cleaned the trunk at home later.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #212 ·
@6TVRs+ That's a nice S260! I'm guessing it's not street eligible due to having less than 1k produced right? Super lucky to event get to see one in person. There is a 2010 phantom black S260 sport at WW right now that would already be in my garage if I had an abundance of funds. I'm actually impressed it's been on their site for 2 weeks now.

I'll have to give your zip tie "fix" a try. I had my battery come loose for the first time and I was lucky enough to only have acid everywhere. No clam damage, but my trunk carpet is worse for wear and the little plastic clip that holds the trunk prop in place has corroded away. I wiped everything down at the track and then deep cleaned the trunk at home later.
Yes, a 2009 Chrome Orange Sport 260 is pretty much a bucket list car! Just the lack of place to compete in it and the 50K mileage... price too are holding me back. But oh how glorious!!
Good news is that I had to take my S240 for Smog inspection yesterday and it reminded me that I "almost" have one in my garage that really is not a pale substitute!

Here's a pic of the zip tie solution... not a problem in 3 year........ eerr wait a sec, I see one side is broken, so will need a redo.. but you get the point.

Road surface Automotive tire Asphalt Gas Automotive lighting

Reactions: Devilstar

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yeah no trophy for me this year in SSC. I did drive better though (1.3% from first place this year compared to 1.5% from first last year) the class simultaneously got harder (better drivers) and dropped trophies (fewer drivers). Data said if I hadn’t committed the same error twice on the east course I’d have made it in to the trophies. Oh well. Maybe next year. Maybe in SST 😉

I was really glad to see the evoras and elises there this year. Gave me some motivation to press on with SST.

I’m still waiting on the control arms from the fabricator. When I get them back I’ll mock up ride heights and see where camber ends up and then decide if the rear needs offset bushings etc.. Then it will get a spring swap and some engine bits and be ready to start testing.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey all,

I’m new to the Elise platform and built a nationally competitive ND2 Miata last year for STR class so I have a little bit mechanical knowledge but not a ton. I’m not planning to compete in any of the autocross classes and just looking for a good overall setup that maximizes cornering speed.

There’s a great Lotus shop here in my area where the owner has his Exige set up for track and I wanted to get some clarification on the tuning/modification differences when I am more focused on going faster in corners. Happy to talk over the phone if easier. I have an 05 Elise.

1.) Is a front and/or rear aftermarket sway bar needed for these cars? I hear that a rear bar isn’t needed and the OEM front does just fine.

2.) I’m planning to supercharge the car, is there one lsd over another you would recommend? OS Giken? Quaife (I never heard of this before but was suggested to me because it’s a Torsen?

3.) Inokinetic has V2 arms that increases camber which appears to be the top choice from the people I’ve talked to. But does anyone have experience with the Fastarms also from Inokinetic that claims 0.5 MORE negative camber over the V2 arms?

4.) Wheels and tires?
I’m hearing to go with fronts 15x8 w/ 225/45/15 and rears 17x9 w/ 245/45/17
Am I going to get any rubbing?

5.) Anyone willing to share alignment and ride height specs?

6.) any other recommendations/suggestions for tuning with my plan to mostly Canyon driving with some autocross and some Track sprinkled in?

thank you,
Andrew

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #215 ·
Welcome Andrew!
You asked several open ended questions here, but what you do predominately depends on what class you chose to run your Elise in..
AStreet
SST
ASP
XB
XP
Maybe AP?

This year an Elise won XB, but attendance was low, so not sure how good an Elise is there
I know @fzust has won XP in the past, so he knows that area and can likely direct you in other classes too. There is also an Autocross forum area too.
I chose AS as I wanted to limit my expenditures due to multiple vehicles and some of the "more modded" classes allow other cars to benefit more than the Elise until at the top of the pyramid.

If interested in AS, some of what I did is linked in the first post of this thread... and in some pages here.

But a quick answer is YES, if you intend to Auto-X at all, you will need a bigger front bar.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Welcome Andrew!
You asked several open ended questions here, but what you do predominately depends on what class you chose to run your Elise in..
AStreet
SST
ASP
XB
XP
Maybe AP?

This year an Elise won XB, but attendance was low, so not sure how good an Elise is there
I know @fzust has won XP in the past, so he knows that area and can likely direct you in other classes too. There is also an Autocross forum area too.
I chose AS as I wanted to limit my expenditures due to multiple vehicles and some of the "more modded" classes allow other cars to benefit more than the Elise until at the top of the pyramid.

If interested in AS, some of what I did is linked in the first post of this thread... and in some pages here.

But a quick answer is YES, if you intend to Auto-X at all, you will need a bigger front bar.
thank you for getting back to me. I don’t intend to compete, I did that last year with a str miata that was nationally prepped and it sort of took the joy out of it for me.

but why do you feel you need a bigger front sway bar and which bar do you recommend? If class was not the limiting factor, would you do a rear bar as well or would that make the car too loose?

also Inokinetic has v2 arms that increase camber to about 2+ degrees but they also have fastarms that claim to increase camber by an additional 0.5 degrees. Do you have any insight on that?

I guess to sum it up, if class was not a factor and fun factor is what you’re after, how would you modify the suspension?

thank you!

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #217 ·
Well @Vroooom12 I can answer some, but not all of your questions.

Mainly, the quick, abrupt inputs required to be quick on an autocross really prompt the mid-engine platform to have the tail step out which often results in a spin on a stock bar.
The best example I give is when I got my first Elise, I took it to a local autocross practice. (Background- I'm older now, but have been a Nationally ranked driver including a 2nd and 3rd at SCCA Nationals in the past-yada, yada) Well, on this practice you were allowed 10 laps... I spun on 4 of them!! A stiffer front bar GREATLY tames this tendency! I will admit the more stiffer you set the bar for the autox course, you will really notice the push on the street/larger more open courses and will likely soften it.

As to "what" to do if not running in a class, what would I do? I don't feel I'm qualified as A.) I like the competition and B.) I tend to leave my cars "stock" and drive them as hard as I can.

If you peruse the forum and look for "solo" and racing section and you may find more info on what you want to do. @jdawson has extensively modified his past stock after doing well at Nationals in the past and his incredible work can be seen here>

In short, there are several answers, but will be up to you to research this forum to find which suits you best. Good Luck!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Well @Vroooom12 I can answer some, but not all of your questions.

Mainly, the quick, abrupt inputs required to be quick on an autocross really prompt the mid-engine platform to have the tail step out which often results in a spin on a stock bar.
The best example I give is when I got my first Elise, I took it to a local autocross practice. (Background- I'm older now, but have been a Nationally ranked driver including a 2nd and 3rd at SCCA Nationals in the past-yada, yada) Well, on this practice you were allowed 10 laps... I spun on 4 of them!! A stiffer front bar GREATLY tames this tendency! I will admit the more stiffer you set the bar for the autox course, you will really notice the push on the street/larger more open courses and will likely soften it.

As to "what" to do if not running in a class, what would I do? I don't feel I'm qualified as A.) I like the competition and B.) I tend to leave my cars "stock" and drive them as hard as I can.

If you peruse the forum and look for "solo" and racing section and you may find more info on what you want to do. @jdawson has extensively modified his past stock after doing well at Nationals in the past and his incredible work can be seen here>

In short, there are several answers, but will be up to you to research this forum to find which suits you best. Good Luck!
thank you for the reply and pointing me in the right direction, happy to read through :)

·
Premium Member
2007 Elise
490 Posts
the fast arms kick you out of most of the street tire classes other than XB - otherwise you end up in a prepared class with folks on slicks due to the way the rules are written (which is what is stopping me from looking at SST, and I have decided I am too lazy to start writing letters)

·
Registered
31 Posts
the fast arms kick you out of most of the street tire classes other than XB - otherwise you end up in a prepared class with folks on slicks due to the way the rules are written (which is what is stopping me from looking at SST, and I have decided I am too lazy to start writing letters)
thank you, I’m not concerned about being in any class and the shop I am getting my v2 arms installed at does not have any experience with The Fastarms. But if the Fastarms truly provides 0.5 more negative camber over the v2 arms I need them! Is it a simple bolt and straightforward?

201 - 220 of 225 Posts