The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, i have my Elise SC 07 (20000km/12500miles) since a month or so and all i have done since is reading here and searching for every noise i hear in it.

First was my blower rotor pack, which is kind of loud, i can hear it pretty well when i'm in the car on idle. But someone who work on Lotus cars told me they were all like that, noisy and they do not have a long life... :sad:

Then there is that rattle that i can hear when i'm slowing down, when i press the clutch, it goes... The guy told me it was my Stage II exhaust that is slowly destroying itself inside...

And now, my new problem is a knock knock sound in the steering wheel when i'm driving slowly. It pretty much sounds like a ball joint, but i did turn the steering when the car was stopped in my garage and it feels like the sound is coming just behind the steering... Really not sure... :confused:

I did try another Elise 2007 before i bought this one, and there was the same sound coming from the steering, so, i just want to be sure that this is a problem and not normal, kind of weird that both Elise i've tried did it... :confused:

I will record it later, that should give a better idea.

Thanks guys.

Correction: when driving the car, the sound is deeper (not behind the steering wheel), like a ball joint. Parked in the garage it sound more like a snap, tac!, just behind the steering.... Video coming!

·
Registered
457 Posts
Easy. In my case, it's the wheel arch liners getting in the way of the steering rack.

Nothing to worry about. You can trim the liners if that annoys you.

·
3Xtothe0[]
489 Posts
You might want to install a loud sound system and turn it up driving.
If the noises coming from these cars bother you then you will go insane listening to them because TADTS...

·
Registered
561 Posts
Before i go insane, that is exactly what i want to know... :tadts:
My '07 does not make that noise...so no.

Is that noise inside the cabin or outside?

How heavily modified is the car from stock? Standard front wheels?

Is the car driving ok?

You might need to wait till Monday when the real gear heads get back on line... :)

·
Registered
305 Posts
Do a search on steering racks and u-joints noises. They are pretty well documented.

You may also want to check/torque the front upper shocks mounting brackets.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
When i'm driving the noise is coming close to the front left wheel.
But when i'm parked (in the video), the sound is coming from inside just behind the steering wheel (i feel)... :(

The car is totaly stock except the exhaust. Standard wheels. Driving ok, i can notice the sound only when i'm driving slowly on non-flat surfaces.

I did search for the steering clunk on the forum, but i didn't find "THE GOOD" thread...

My '07 does not make that noise...so no.

Is that noise inside the cabin or outside?

How heavily modified is the car from stock? Standard front wheels?

Is the car driving ok?

You might need to wait till Monday when the real gear heads get back on line... :)

·
Registered
561 Posts
When i'm driving the noise is coming close to the front left wheel.
But when i'm parked (in the video), the sound is coming from inside just behind the steering wheel (i feel)... :(

The car is totaly stock except the exhaust. Standard wheels. Driving ok, i can notice the sound only when i'm driving slowly on non-flat surfaces.

I did search for the steering clunk on the forum, but i didn't find "THE GOOD" thread...
Bumped for gear heads...especially a certain guy...Road Dad, help this fellow out?

·
Registered
480 Posts
I started hearing this on my car too last week. Drove it all day yesterday though, and didn't hear anything..

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
It might be a situation where you need a new steering rack. Mine was replace when I had the 07. Depending on the dealer, some got theirs replaced and some didn't. I don't think it was an end world situation if you didn't though.

As far as the exhaust rattle, it can be fixed. Check to see if the exhaust itself is rattling against the opening. Also, check all the bolts from the diffuser and undertray. I had a rattle that turned out to be the undertray. One of the bolts was bad and it caused a vibration at low rpms.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts