The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning to take a road trip up to SF to visit a few friends and they're urging me to bring my Evora. I've been to SF many times, but wonder if any you Evora owners out there have taken this car around SF. Doesn't seem like a place an Evora would fare too well in given the steep hills, curbs, dips etc. Have you guys (where applicable) have had scrapage issues in this town?

Elise/Exige owners---keep in mind the Evora's nose is almost 2' long, about 6 or 7 inches longer.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Just sent you an email.

I'm planning to take a road trip up to SF to visit a few friends and they're urging me to bring my Evora. I've been to SF many times, but wonder if any you Evora owners out there have taken this car around SF. Doesn't seem like a place an Evora would fare too well in given the steep hills, curbs, dips etc. Have you guys (where applicable) have had scrapage issues in this town?

Elise/Exige owners---keep in mind the Evora's nose is almost 2' long, about 6 or 7 inches longer.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
I only got scrapes in some of the big steel plated construction zones. The normal streets arent too bad, as long as you slow down for the transition zones in the intersections.

·
Terry
2,189 Posts
scott, if u can survive the potholes in LA, you should be good in SF. the only thing i don't like is the incline roads there. kinda scary when it car rolls backwards.

·
Registered
412 Posts
If you're worried enough to ask about it, then you probably won't enjoy the experience anyway. Skip it.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for the input guys.. I'm probably going to pass on it. I had forgotten about stopping on steep inclines in a manual. I've scorched my clutch a few times in my other cars on those steep inclines to avoid stalling out or hitting the car behind me. Thanks for that reminder, Terry. I think I'll spare my Evora given I'm on already on my replacement clutch.

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
I drive in SF, no problem. When you start worrying about hills, bumps and such then you have already psyched yourself out from being comfortable.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey Squid.

I drive my Evora around some of the steepest hills in San Francisco (Leavenworth, Filbert, Union, Hyde, Jones). Haven't had any problems transitioning from flat to inclined roads. There is plenty of clearance on the lip and rear diffuser. I have the S model, but use fairly low rpms starting from stop signs on the hills. So not sure if the supercharger makes much of a difference. You can always use the hand brake, personally I never needed it even with lower powered and heavier cars.

The only time I've scraped the lip (SUCKS!) is getting into my garage, which has a driveway on the incline. The weight falls on the right tire stealing some of the clearance from the right side of the lip. Coming in at an angle to remove the weight from the right tire fixes the problem. I've taken it around a bunch of plazas and never had a problem getting in/out - even on some pretty gnarly looking driveways. Overall it's a pretty usable car for getting around town.

Don't stress out about it - your Evora will handle San Francisco really well! Enjoy your visit!

·
Registered
207 Posts
I learned to drive a stick in SF. "Passing the test" meant successfully starting from a traffic light going up Gough St. without sliding back into the car behind you nor frying your clutch. Handbrake, footbrake, clutch, gas pedal. That's why we have 4 limbs.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
This is getting silly, the Evora is above all a car, meant to be driven on public roads.
Some of the happiest Evora drivers live in Switzerland, where there are almost no level crossings, just mountains:mw:

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry but the mountain roads of Switzerland and shiity asss roads of urban America are very different :)

Drive down my street and you won't see what's coming until its too late. Or go 5mph. Sounds fun doesn't it.

·
Premium Member
6,244 Posts
Handling should be able to avoid that

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
My friend and her husband regularly drive their GT3 RS there and no big deal. They live in the Mission which is a bit flatter.

BTW, their neighbor's Audi A7 was trashed by those Occupy a$$holes last week!

I'm in SF every other week on business. I would be a bit leary of the stops on the steep inclines and the tops/bottoms of the inclines that then feed into flat. Can wreak havoc on front clams.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
The one thing about SF which disturbed me most on a recent visit was the vandalism. I saw a late 20's male on a skateboard use the board to shatter the side windows on about 3 cars parked by the Ice Skating rink. He wasn't reaching in to steal stuff, he was just bashing cars for fun. None of the people who were close to the "skateboard loser punk" felt the need to do anything. Later, while driving through the town I noticed lots of broken car glass in various places in the town where cars parked along the road. It made me pony up for more secure parking.

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
I use the handbrake as well on gnarly hills. I have no issues rolling back when I do.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
The one thing about SF which disturbed me most on a recent visit was the vandalism. I saw a late 20's male on a skateboard use the board to shatter the side windows on about 3 cars parked by the Ice Skating rink. He wasn't reaching in to steal stuff, he was just bashing cars for fun. None of the people who were close to the "skateboard loser punk" felt the need to do anything. Later, while driving through the town I noticed lots of broken car glass in various places in the town where cars parked along the road. It made me pony up for more secure parking.
And crackheads in the Tenderloin! :)

I love SF, but it has it's own special brand of crazy!

If you really want to get mad, google with those Occupy d**kbags did to the City on 'MayDay'. Funny thing - they did in the Mission - which is probably where most of them 'live'.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts