The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so the temperature on my lotus elise 06 is over heating going to bout 240 and it starts to blink . can any one help me out please all help is good thank youu

·
Registered
240 Posts
does it goes up when the car is stand still or slow traffic or at normal speed? if it goes up when you are at really slow speed it could be the fans, thermostat water pump or the head gasket. if it goes up when you are at normal speed (50mph or so) it could be the water pump or head gasket.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Lotus (Toyota) thermostats are notoriously prone to failure... if it's stuck closed youre not moving enough water through your engine to cool it. Cheap problem to fix... but might be tuff to get to.

That's the first thing I'd check!

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
Are you losing any coolant? does you radiator have a leak at the end tanks that shows itself at high pressure (like when it gets hot) if so you may need a new radiator, OEM radiator tank seals on early cars have been known to fail as early as 10K mls. mine did and many others have. Check the system is free of air.
Usual problem with the thermostat is engine fails to get up to operating temp because of failed seal. Iv had that problem as well.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Here's a good one. I've had my Elise for a year now, and I have never actually heard the cooling fans turn on. Are they just REALLY quiet? My car runs 186deg on the highway and has crept up to 205 on hot days in traffic (stop-go). Once it was headed north of 205 but I just pulled over and let it cool down for 20 minutes because traffic wasn't going anywhere. From what I can tell, these are fairly normal temperatures so I'm not really concerned, but I'm wondering if my cooling fans are even working.

So basically my question is, can you easily hear the cooling fans turn on, just as in any other car? Or are they so shrouded you can't really unless you're listening for them. And at what temp are they supposed to turn on?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
You can hear the fans with the windows open or the top down. The fans on my Elise don't kick in till it is slightly north of 205F. The easy way to hear your fans, is to kick on the air conditioner. You should hear them then.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Here's a good one. I've had my Elise for a year now, and I have never actually heard the cooling fans turn on. Are they just REALLY quiet? My car runs 186deg on the highway and has crept up to 205 on hot days in traffic (stop-go). Once it was headed north of 205 but I just pulled over and let it cool down for 20 minutes because traffic wasn't going anywhere. From what I can tell, these are fairly normal temperatures so I'm not really concerned, but I'm wondering if my cooling fans are even working.

So basically my question is, can you easily hear the cooling fans turn on, just as in any other car? Or are they so shrouded you can't really unless you're listening for them. And at what temp are they supposed to turn on?

Thanks!
209 degrees is the number i work with....

·
Registered
310 Posts
I'm glad this topic was brought up as I have often wondered what was considered a normal operating temp for our cars.

Mine usually hovers around 195. On really hot summer days and after I have either been at idle or pushing the motor hard I usually hit around 204.

Sounds like that is well within the normal range based on these posts. :clap:

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Car normally runs between 185 and 190 when moving on the road. On warm days, will creep to 205 ~ 210 when at a standstill. This is normal behavior. Sustained temps above 210 would be unusual as the fans will go to full speed at ~205 and I've observed this to be sufficient to keep the car below 200 on days in the 90's at a standstill in traffic.

Make sure you have sufficient coolant (insufficient coolant, besides itself causing cooling problems, can also lead to air pockets in the cooling system which may impede coolant flow particularly at low speeds/idle). Air pockets may take a drive or two to resolve themselves (if they do at all) once you have replenished your coolant. Then check the other items suggested on this thread.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Chronos - hoping you resolved your problem post sc install.. Was it coolant related or are you still troubleshooting?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts