The Lotus Cars Community banner

Where do you stand on the probability of God's existence?

• Strong theist

Votes: 150 27.1%
  • Very high probability but short of 100 percent

Votes: 35 6.3%
  • Higher than 50 per cent but not very high

Votes: 24 4.3%
  • Exactly 50 percent

Votes: 20 3.6%
  • Lower than 50 percent but not very low

Votes: 23 4.2%
  • Very low probability, but short of zero

Votes: 135 24.4%
  • Strong atheist.

Votes: 166 30.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 1967 Posts

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Richard Dawkins came up with this scale to measure the probability of God's existence. Where do you fit on the scale?
  1. Strong theist. 100 percent possibility of God. In the words of C.G. Jung, 'I do not believe, I know.'
  2. Very high probability but short of 100 per cent. De facto theist. 'I cannot know for certain, but I strongly believe in God and live my life on the assumption that he is there.
  3. Higher than 50 per cent but not very high. Technically agnostic but leaning towards theism. 'I am very uncertain, but I am inclined to believe in God.'
  4. Exactly 50 per cent. Completely impartial agnostic. 'God's existence and non-existence are exactly equiprobable.'
  5. Lower than 50 per cent but not very low. Technically agnostic but leaning towards atheism. 'I don't know whether God exists but I'm inclined to be sceptical.'
  6. Very low probability, but short of zero. De facto atheist. 'I cannot know for certain but I think God is very improbable, and I live my life on the assumption that he is not there.'
  7. Strong atheist. 'I know there is no God, with the same conviction as Jung 'knows' there is one.'

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
I voted for strong improbability. Just as someone cannot KNOW there is a God, I cannot KNOW there isn't one. I just use my highly educated estimations to determine what I believe is right.

If there IS a God, it'd understand why I believe what I do.

I will spare everyone the religious arguments right now :p

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If the poll continues at the current rate (everyone so far is a 6 or 7), maybe we could surmise that a belief in a god (or God) is a deterrent to owning a Lotus.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
If you mean God as in there's a guy up in the heavens somewhere with a robe and a long grey beard, looking down on the universe that he created, well it all sounds a little bit crazy, doesn't it ? I'd have to go with atheist, on those terms.

Deism is another matter, though.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Let's assume that the god reference above is the omniscient, omnipotent god that watches everything you do and think and will judge you after you die.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I cannot follow any religion on Earth. Which one is right?
I call myself an agnostic.

As to a "superior being" that most call "God", the jury is out for me.

Religion many times causes human strife, suffering and war.
Some religions convince people to fly airliners into buildings and blow up thousands of innocent humans. This is the worst of the worst!

--Hal

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
I'm pretty much a nuetral agnostic. But while skyvue recognizes the negatives of organized religion, I would like to recognize the positives.

I appreciate the (probably mild, but still usefull) ability of organize religion to help raise children with some socially acceptable system of morals.

Okay that's about it.

xtn

·
Registered
413 Posts
I admit to being surprised too: given how 'safe' our cars are, I would've figured on a lot more prayin' goin' on :)

Especially given the overwhelming presence of faithed-based SUV drivers ('faith' in nothing being next to them when they blindly decide to change lanes)...

Just to be clear, I'm in the atheist camp.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
First we learned about the Easter Bunny, then about the Tooth Fairy, and eventually about Santa Claus.. I guess some people just can't let everything their parents told them as a kid turn out to be a lie...

·
Registered
566 Posts
<><

I love being the underdog! :wave:

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Here's my problem. If you believe in the Holy Trinity, then of course Christ is God. Now, you'd think that if God were a carpenter, there'd be a chair, a cabinet, something that lastest through the ages. Maybe he was a rougher or joiner?

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
Harris poll results:

Although 79 percent of Americans believe there is a God, only 66 percent are absolutely certain of it.

• Ten percent of Protestants, 21 percent of Roman Catholics, and 52 percent of Jews do not believe in God.
• 84 percent of women believe in God, compared with 73 percent of men.
• 91 percent of African Americans believe in God, compared with 81 percent of Hispanics and 78 percent of whites.
• 87 percent of Republicans believe in God, compared with 78 percent of Democrats and 75 percent of Independents.
• 82 percent of those with no college education believe in God, compared with 73 percent who went to college.

1 - 20 of 1967 Posts