The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen (and ladies), some of you already know that this was going to be happening, but for the others, I just wanted to let everyone know that my 1990 Lotus Esprit SE is up for sale. There is way too much going on in my life right now to give it the proper attention it deserves as well as me needing to get out of some serious debt, get married, get out of this stupid studio apartment and into a real house and get my life moving forward.
For an obsessively documented history and maintenence record archive of the car since the day it rolled off the production line, please see my website at Shadeone's 1990 Lotus Esprit SE
Asking price is $19,000. I have WAY more into the car than that.
Any help you can give in spreading the word would be much appreciated!

I know the maintenance records stop in 2012 but since then the car has just been in storage with really nothing done to it except for the typical spirited drives in the summer to get the fluids flowing and a monthly startup and running in the winter months.
The car looks exactly like it did in the photoshoot near the bottom of the photo gallery page with the exception of the two lens mods I did which can be seen in the modifications section.

And for those wondering, yes, I have already confirmed with my "significant other" (near future fiance) that I WILL be getting another Esprit eventually. It might be a while but it WILL happen ;)

- Jamie

·
Cal H
982 Posts
Jamie,
I understand your situation and why this sale has come about. I have already read of this on the LOON list. I have to give you credit for keeping the car during tough economic times. I understand this car is the twin of my former Esprit that Jay currently owns. Although I hope it remains local, there are many that appear worthy that can give the car the attention and respectful treatment it deserves. It will help ease the transition if it goes to a new home where the car will not be abused or treated in a neglectful manner.

To all that are looking for a superior Esprit I suggest you consider this car. While not an absolute guarantee, I would like to think a car owned by an active LOON for a number of years to be in pretty good shape and a car presented in a truthful manner. I have never seen this car in person but have heard it is in pretty good shape from other Lotus owners whose opinion I respect. This car deserves a detailed inspection by prospective SE owners.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I responded earlier on the Turbo Esprit forum, but just wanted to say again how sorry I am to hear that you are selling your Esprit. Hoping she will go to a good home and am quite certain that with your passion, it will be just a matter of time before you are back with an Esprit. :)

Wish I had the $$$, I'd already be arranging a flight out there to see you, the car, and the LOONs. :)

As always, wishing you the very best!

Roy

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Just in case...here's what I wrote this morning:

Wow...really sorry to hear that, Jamie!
Honestly, I can certainly relate and I'm sure many of us here have been in a similar situation. It is painful (that's an understatement!), but is the right thing to do. I myself have had to sell an Esprit twice in my life for that same very reason. On a happy note, when things got better, I bought that second one back and still have it to this day. Still really missing my first yellow one though. :(

When I purchased my first Esprit many years ago, I used to think that I was the only regular person and that all other Esprit owners were either rich or well-off. I quickly discovered that while there are some that are quite fortunate, the majority of us are just regular guys with a ton of passion for a car we have always loved. I also discovered that not everyone's wife or girlfriend looks like a Bond woman either...LOL

Anyway, hang in there and I can say with confidence that with your passion, it will be just a matter of time before you are back with an Esprit. Wishing you the very best of luck with your future and the sale of your Esprit. I am sure it will sell quickly and wish I had the $$$, I'd be the first one in line!

Roy
Commemorative Esprit Turbo, #87 of 88 made
Sold once and bought back again...still here...against all odds! :)

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
they did some major work back in 2012:

Shimmed valve clearances, replaced cracked tappet, installed 104 intake pulley, replaced timing belt and set tension, installed 3 new V-belts, adjusted throttle cable, drained and refreshed coolant/antifreeze, replaced 2 exhaust manifold studs, installed 1 exhaust lock plate.
Took three days including one night where tim didnt go home until after the sun came up the next morning...

Im not technically inclined so I just turned wrenches when they pointed to something and said "remove that thing"....

Soooooo... on that note, this car is VERY mechanically sound. Runs like its supposed to with no problems or issues... except the boost gauge in the cabin doesnt work.... rest assured it has lots of boost ;)

Also, no more spare parts, the last of them are on hold for someone

·
Registered
536 Posts
they did some major work back in 2012:
The work was finished Sept 5, 2012, with 35,595 miles on the clock; and as I understand it, precious few miles have been put on since then. The car is in very good cosmetic condition, and the engine basically underwent a C-Service, plus some minor fixes. Engine-wise, it's in very good condition.

It's a nice example of an Esprit SE.
Buy it.

Regards,
Tim Engel

·
Registered
29 Posts
Wow very complete history. I have to keep track of this car to see how well an up to date car sells in the market place. I wonder if there are any pictures from the LA car show when Lotus USA used this car as the show car.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I wonder if there are any pictures from the LA car show when Lotus USA used this car as the show car.
You wouldnt believe how much I went through trying to find pictures... If there are any, they are in someones private home photo album. Lotus didnt keep records and I talked to numerous older guys that worked there at the time, as well as every local CA club that was around back then and tons of other people... Ended up getting a show brochure / guide book from the show though (included with the car if it sells haha!) sadly, they just used a stock factory image for the lotus.

·
Cal H
982 Posts
Only one I know that was active in the LA area during that time frame of the car show(1990) was Gordon Davis aka Gordonie. I think he had a Europa back then. But he had taken ill a while ago and dropped off the radar. Even the LA guys can't find him. He used to hang with the Claudius guys. I think they made a living off of him

·
Cal H
982 Posts
Actually sometime in the summer or at the end of summer of 1990 they added the ABS to the 1990 (my former SE was made in spring of 90). I have seen a lot of 90's with ABS. They only produced the non ABS SE for little over a years or so. I wish I had one those instead of a 91. But such as the fortunes in life. BTW Jaime's pictures list the date of manufacture as Nov/89 That means the 89.5 was made for only a few short months, very rare. Nicer steering wheel/non ABS

·
Registered
530 Posts
My wrecked 1990 SE does not have the ABS either. It does however have the ugly airbag wheel. It was discharged during the wreck by the previous ham-fisted owner.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts