The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well our 2005 Saffron Yellow Elise we bought new no longer meets our needs. With a 3 year old the car sits more than is driven. We just broke 30,000 miles and have enjoyed the hard top and touring package but just find it is too small for a car seat.

Thinking of keeping 2 seats but moving to an '05 - '08' slk55amg. Any thoughts on the SLK or what a one owner Saffron Yellow Elise is worth these days... It was never tracked and spent most of its time visiting cars and coffee.

Any thoughts...:nanner:

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
my 10% spread guess would be $30k-$33k. Private sale of course.

·
Premium Member
2,218 Posts
SLK vs. Elise. They are totally different cars. A few years back I purchased a SLK then changed it with CLK and then shortly after settled with SL. The hard top convertible is great. They are nice to drive around town and country with the wife. But around us it seems like everyone has one these.

Elise - It sort of guaranteed that every time you sit in it you will have a smile on your face.:D

SLK - It gives you a comfortable ride. A civilized roadster :)

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
they are every where (SLK) like some type of plague....haha

·
Registered
591 Posts
i myself have an sl500 as a daily car. strong motor, lovely interior and solid feel. just suspension problems with the abc unit. costly repair to say the least. i do like the slk series as well, but if it has a hydraulic suspension like the sl, stay far away.

·
Registered
988 Posts
What's the difference going from the Elise to the SLK? Both are tiny and 2 seat only...
Huh, surly you didnt mean that the way it came out? There is quite a huge difference.

To OP, I'm considering picking up an 07 with a kantana2 in it for 35k~ or so. I'd says $30k is a fair price for an 05 but I have seen them go for cheaper less miles here lately. If you hold out till summer you will get better result.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Huh, surly you didnt mean that the way it came out? There is quite a huge difference.

To OP, I'm considering picking up an 07 with a kantana2 in it for 35k~ or so. I'd says $30k is a fair price for an 05 but I have seen them go for cheaper less miles here lately. If you hold out till summer you will get better result.
Maybe cheaper here but if you check Ebay and Autotrader seems like $35-38k is what dealers are asking for the car. We really think $30k is fair for a one owner non tracked stock car. As for size, well you can't get a car seat in an Elise and you can in a SLKAMG. We know, we tried today. When I have to pick up my son from school. He's still in a car seat. I have to take the Lotus home and get the CTS-V. Let's see our 600hp straight piped Viper is too loud, our CTS-V wagon is fun but not top down summer toy. So the SLKAMG would fit a car seat, have an automated hard top for safety, not too loud, faster than the Elise, but not as loud as the Viper, and has more safety features for carrying a child. So looks like the perfect fit. BTW, the wife says keep the Elise and see if we really like the SLK. So there is a big difference based on how we use the car.

The car is located in southern Wisconsin so our driving season is shorter than most. A SLKAMG hardtop convertible with airscarf would allow for a longer driving season. Not to mention can be serviced locally as opposed to making the 200mile round trip to the nearest Lotus dealer. If anyone is interested, please email me at [email protected] for pics. Just made an offer on an 06 SLKAMG for $31k. It has 14,000 miles on it and fully loaded. Wish me luck!

Thanks for the assistance everyone!

·
Registered
988 Posts
Yes $35-38k is the price you will see on ebay and dealers, they are always near 8k over. People do buy these car at those prices be assured but you wont find that on a lotus board to often. That said in the next 4-5 years ( maybe sooner ) prices are going up. As you may know the Elise is no longer an option so the only way to get one is used, scares at that.

·
Registered
51 Posts
If you are looking to sell her let me know where your location is at. I am hoping that you will be close to Colorado. I'm sure its a long shot but I am looking to get an Elise when I get to the mainland US in May.

·
Addict
2007 Lotus Exige S
1,422 Posts

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
i almost bought that car 3 years ago i think . See the large LOTUS above the dual din? My "looker" had that also - Slaughter looked at it for me in ...Idaho? How unique do you think that LOTUS dual din crown piece is? Is the logo fake? It appears to be running uphill, but that might due to the viewing angle?. I'm just curious as to whether or not that is a genuine Lotus part. Funky. If it's the same car Slaughter looked at, - it's a 5 owner car now. But it was a nice, nearly perfect car at 19k miles, 4 owner. Not sure it's the same car, but the logo/dual din is the same.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Test drove an Elise and bought a SLK55. I go through rear tires every oil change and hit the Dragon for a weekend twice a year. Thing is, I'm constantly looking for the next car and very well may end up in an elise.

Tires matter on the 55. If you hit any sort of twisties put the Michelin Super Sports on. Otherwise I enjoy the new PS3's. The motor makes an intoxicating noise and has more than enough torque for the stock 245 series rear tires.

Seats are comfortable but stiff. I've driven from Oklahoma to Nashville and San Antonio to Nashville in one day. I was tired, but that's to be expected in a small sporty car.

Get the air scarf and the oem plexiglass wind diffuser. When you're driving over 50mph the scarf stops warming your ears. Also pick up a smart top.

My relationship with my 55 is a love/hate one. I've sat in several dealership sales rooms ready to sign the paperwork on another car, but backed out at the last minute. Love the looks, sound, and AMG logo on the rear, dislike the lack of grip.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Think about an Elise with a TVS blower. Bye bye SLK. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Think about an Elise with a TVS blower. Bye bye SLK. Just my opinion.
I was thinking Katana 2. Am also looking at a few 348TS' but afraid my mechanical skills aren't good enough yet. Should be replacing the rear main on the 55 when I get back from the dragon in a few weeks. Thankfully have access to a lift and plenty of beer.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thoughts...

Just brought home the SLK. Picked it up and drove it 500 miles. The car is a different animal from the Elise. I think of it as a well tailored suit whereas the Elise is expensive jeans and a polo. Both look good have their time and place but are designed for two different uses. The SLK is faster and egress/ingress is easier. It also does not have the look at me factor. The Elise is more exotic harder to drive fast, and more of weekend racer. Both are good but for everyday or date nights or carrying a little guy the SLK wins hands down!

Just my two cents. The Elise is available to serious buyers who are looking for a one owner car.

·
Registered
988 Posts
The katana2 is awesome I own one but it cant touch a tvs/rev 400.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts