The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive been shopping around the last few days and some of u may be interested in what ive found....
some of these dealers are wheeling and dealing now...
i went and drove my dealers demo at fox valley, i was told it was lss, but it wasent....anyway, while i was there, i overheard one of the salesman on the phone working a deal...he hangs up and walks up to his general manager and says "i just sold one for 1500 over." so im thinking maybe a lambo, maybe a ferrari, certainly not an elise because i just called my salesman friday and he said they were still selling them 8-10k over....
after i few minutes i asked him what kind of car he just sold....
"an elise." 1500 over? wow. it was yellow.
they had 2 or 3 more on the lot available. i know they have a black one and i think 2 silver ones.....
after i left, my salesman called me later and offered me one at 3k over....they didint have what i was looking for and i passed.
i found at least one other place offering around 2-3k over....
so, u people who are so hot to get one and have waited forever, i know one can be had for 1500 over.
happy motoring.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Notice where they are ? There are no "extra cars" sitting around looking for buyers in the western states. Whenever one does appear it's not for anywhere near sticker. I'd be thrilled to get a car next week at $1.5 K over, but there are none to be had. Two weeks ago I was offered choice of three "available" cars at LOA for $3k over plus $1500 shipping to LA. At a total $4.5K over sticker, I can't afford it. Besides 2 had LSS which I don't want and all three were colors I don't want. I saw in a post about the new LOA showroom they now want $2k over, so they've dropped by $1K in the past two weeks.

This starts to get more and more like the Mini Cooper S was. Cars that have no buyers sitting around eastern dealers lots for below sticker while California has 14 month waits, and inflated prices. Mini made a decision to give every dealer an equal allotment, no matter how many possible buyers lived in the area. Lotus has opted to send more cars to areas with same number or fewer buyers.

BTW, I know it's off topic but here in LA, Mini S models are still hard to come by. I went to Universal City Mini a couple weeks back and they were asking $4k over for an S and $6k over for an S convertible.

$35000 for a Mini S convertible, unbelievable.

Steve

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Do you think it's an intensional cut in supply to the L.A. dealerships since it's an all year driving season?

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Just Curious: What is Mark Starr selling non-special edition cars for? How much over Msrp? I'm not ditching my dealer -- just trying to gauge the market.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Sownman said:
Notice where they are ? There are no "extra cars" sitting around looking for buyers in the western states. Whenever one does appear it's not for anywhere near sticker. I'd be thrilled to get a car next week at $1.5 K over, but there are none to be had. Two weeks ago I was offered choice of three "available" cars at LOA for $3k over plus $1500 shipping to LA. At a total $4.5K over sticker, I can't afford it. Besides 2 had LSS which I don't want and all three were colors I don't want. I saw in a post about the new LOA showroom they now want $2k over, so they've dropped by $1K in the past two weeks.

This starts to get more and more like the Mini Cooper S was. Cars that have no buyers sitting around eastern dealers lots for below sticker while California has 14 month waits, and inflated prices. Mini made a decision to give every dealer an equal allotment, no matter how many possible buyers lived in the area. Lotus has opted to send more cars to areas with same number or fewer buyers.

BTW, I know it's off topic but here in LA, Mini S models are still hard to come by. I went to Universal City Mini a couple weeks back and they were asking $4k over for an S and $6k over for an S convertible.

$35000 for a Mini S convertible, unbelievable.

Steve

know what ya mean...I could have bought many elises from east coast for 1-2K over msrp but with shipping, the costs are too much for me...how come there are no sellers in CA close to MSRP...the few that have come up want 50K for the car.

I too have a mini cooper s deposit and my wait is 1 yr from deposit...no sense buying used for MCS cause the resale values are outrageous.

·
Registered
970 Posts
JonM3Coupe said:
Just Curious: What is Mark Starr selling non-special edition cars for? How much over Msrp? I'm not ditching my dealer -- just trying to gauge the market.
2.5K over.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Location location location,

who's going to buy a car in the NE right now, but as pointed out, costs too much to ship cross country any deal you get will evaporate.

FYI, LOAs extra cars have been in the 2-4k markup
Chris

·
Registered
670 Posts
Allan Gibbs said:
Do you think it's an intensional cut in supply to the L.A. dealerships since it's an all year driving season?
REMINDER !!!! There is no LA dealer, don't you read my LA udates ?:)

Randy, and some others would say that the west is just being shorted because of port problems and has nothing to do with Lotus. Some truth there probably, but thats not the whole story. Are Washington, Utah, Arizona, Calif dealers in possesion of the same number of cars that LOA or FV had 3 weeks ago ? Not nearly as far as I can tell.

Steve

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
You know where the cars are?
You can buy and airline ticket?
You can drive home?!

This reminds me of:

You live in a desert!

·
Registered
538 Posts
Well, if it's any indication, I've posted a number of times that I have a SY with Touring Pack available (including in the 'Cars for Sale' section) and no one even has asked me for a price. Guess there's not much interest in these cars these days.

;)

·
Registered
7,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
man, not even a nibble??
yeah, like i alluded to, there ARE plenty of cars available....i mean 1k-2.5k over sticker, and then im sure now u can get a great deal on a barely used one.....i have to believe i can ship a car from east coast to chicago for under a grand....i dont know...so best case scenario, someone from west coast swings a deal with fox valley for 1.5 over, and ships it for about a grand...thats 2.5 over...seems if ya want it bad enough its there....
just a few weeks ago everyone was crying that the dealers were at 5k over....

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
I think a lot of the guys here won't pay a penny over msrp, I don't think I'd be as stoic I'd probably pony up an extra 1-2k if it meant getting the car six months or more earlier, hell people spend more than that on starbucks and the elise is a hell of a lot healthier.

Course it also depends, if I were in the NE I'd just sit back and wait, no sense paying insurance on a car that I can't drive all winter.
Chris

·
Banned
338 Posts
Come on Ladies....simple solution.

Are we men or mice??? Be a man and buy a car in the east and drive it home to the west. "Just drive it". Who in their right mind would spend $1,500 to $2,000 on shipping the car back when you can drive it back in 3 days at a cost of $250-$300, and as a bonus make an adventure out of it, and see some very nice sights.
You can drive from N.Y. to L.A. in 3 long days.
Enjoy the ride.
Cheers

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Sownman said:
REMINDER !!!! There is no LA dealer, don't you read my LA udates ?:)
All I see are just a bunch of zeros! ;)

Seriously, deliveries are slow in Arizona as well. I think only about 10 or 12 cars have been delivered. The BRP that should be here any day now I think was #12 and my original Magnetic Blue was #14.

In speaking with Scottsdale Lotus, they've also shared their frustration. They know when the car's built, at port, or when they've been invoiced, but they're not really sure about the gaps in between.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Come to Houston.

I special ordered my MINI Cooper S a year ago and it only took LESS than 7 weeks to build it, ship it , and deliver it to my dealer.

Wally at Star Motorcars in Houston is handling my Elise order at zero percent over list, and is the best dealer I've ever dealt with. 100% honest and out to please the customer. It doesn't hurt that he's an enthusiat and a racer. :D

Maybe this is the upside of living in the land of SUVs. :)

John

·
Registered
670 Posts
LNZ_YELO said:
Well, if it's any indication, I've posted a number of times that I have a SY with Touring Pack available (including in the 'Cars for Sale' section) and no one even has asked me for a price. Guess there's not much interest in these cars these days.

;)
Is your dealer allowing someone else to take the car at MSRP ?
Is it black touring interior ? Please PM me about details.

Steve

1 - 20 of 31 Posts