The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
5,709 Posts

Umm, a Formula car that has wings for downforce, slicks and the weight of the engine and transmission over the rear wheels, it is of little relevance to the car in question.

You are missing the point, the mitsubishi engine is fantastic, but there is no need to suggest it when the Duratec is just as good or better for this application.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
:wallbang:
+1

Seb, you're missing the point of the Caterham/Toniq/Seven/etc... it's light, so it doesn't need much torque to accelerate very quickly. On the other hand, it's got a miserable coefficient of drag, and without a lot of horsepower, is aero limited to a relatively low top speed. Kind of like the Elise/Exige.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
There are some folks who have built silly big turbo motors in Sevens, they brag about how great it is, but after some prodding they admit they mostly have straight roads to drive on. Sort of not the point of these kinds cars :rolleyes:
I'll have to disagree with you on that one. Different people have different wants - I just picked up a WCM Ultralite (1300 lbs/240 bhp) and I bought it for the ridiculous acceleration rather than handling (though the handling isnt bad either).

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
I'll have to disagree with you on that one. Different people have different wants - I just picked up a WCM Ultralite (1300 lbs/240 bhp) and I bought it for the ridiculous acceleration rather than handling (though the handling isnt bad either).
That's exactly my point, all they were doing with it is driving in a straight line, that's why they think having 450hp in a seven is "useful"

As a matter of fact, one of the guys with a big hp 7 came out here to visit and I made him sick with my measly 200hp on the twisty roads :evil:

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
As a matter of fact, one of the guys with a big hp 7 came out here to visit and I made him sick with my measly 200hp on the twisty roads :evil:
I led the LOONYs on a trip through the back roads of PA.....I led in my Caterham with 147HP crossflow. They were driving 200HP plus Caterhams. and there were 3 Elises. They had a good time keeping up with me. They were using all of their HP and handling...

Yes...I have driven all sorts of Sevens...most was a 240HP car. to be honest...while it does take your breath away....I have more fun with my Crossflow Caterham. Always shifting...having to keep the speed up in the corners...

I will put a Duratec or Zetec in when I lose this one...but till then I like the driving..

Edit Thurs morn....This is not to take anything away from the Toniq....looks like a lot of fun. My point was that HP is not everything when it comes to Sevens...it is the drive....the wind....the noise....the assualt on the senses.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
That's exactly my point, all they were doing with it is driving in a straight line, that's why they think having 450hp in a seven is "useful"
It is useful if that is what you want. My point is that while 450-500 hp is not useful for YOU, there other people in this world who want a car that can do insane things in a straight line and its not our place to judge. Check out this 380hp 7 that finished 3rd overall in One Lap of America: Mojito: Ultralite S2K SC. A lotus 7 replica powered by a Honda S2000 2.2L . running on Bio-mass fuel - Atlanta, Georgia

Now back to your regularly scheduled Toniq programming

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
Randy, one thing that gets me stoked about a Caterham is the opportunity to build the entire car with my son. Any chance the Toniq will have the same option?

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
It is useful if that is what you want. My point is that while 450-500 hp is not useful for YOU, there other people in this world who want a car that can do insane things in a straight line and its not our place to judge. Check out this 380hp 7 that finished 3rd overall in One Lap of America: Mojito: Ultralite S2K SC. A lotus 7 replica powered by a Honda S2000 2.2L . running on Bio-mass fuel - Atlanta, Georgia

Now back to your regularly scheduled Toniq programming
I understand that people have different wants, but why take a car that is designed to have a balance between power and handling , a car that was never about running big horsepower or driving in straight lines, and then make it unbalanced and use it just for driving in straight lines? There are better choices for that. Do you think the Lotus Elise is meant to drive in straight lines?

Additionally, and perhaps I wasn't clear, but I wasn't necessarily judging them for driving on straight roads, I was suggesting that I ended up understanding why they couldn't really see what the drawback of having all that power because they only were using them on straight type roads.
The roads here, with that much power in a seven, you would either be spending all your time pussyfooting the throttle or waiting for the rescue crews to pull you out of the ravine :panic:

Also, I know all about Mojito, but he runs high speed events, sometimes on ovals, where he needs the power for top speed (and notice how he has to run all kinds of wings on it). Randy is talking about AX the car, which it seems to me, running big power would make your times go up in smoke, literally :shrug:

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Randy is talking about AX the car, which it seems to me, running big power would make your times go up in smoke, literally :shrug:

Sweet...sweet smoke. :shift:

Have you ever seen me autocross the Noble? :panic:

Tire budget for Hoosiers.... :sad:

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
My sons were 5 and 7 when I built my Caterham. they are now in their 20's.

Although they were around then...and sat in the car....messed around it...but they and I really missed the build it together thing.

Then about 2 years ago, a fellow LOONY bought a Caterham and asked me if I wanted to help him build it. My son and I spent about 15 hours over a few weeks building it. Great fun.

Then about a year ago my son and I bought back my old Elan with a full Spyder conversion and rebuilt that car. I have had great fun doing this and it is something that I will treasure always.

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
The TONIQ was officially released today for North America. Pricing and specifications can be found at British Racing Group, L.L.C.. There are 3 models including; the Toniq CB, Toniq CB Spec and Toniq CB Launch Edition. The first cars will be delivered to their owners in second quarter 2010. The Launch edition features a 5% discount off the standard CB and includes paint upgrade and commemorative build plate. Prices start at $32k.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts