The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Ticket Magnet
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
IMG_1515[1].jpg It has been awhile since I started this project and not a lot of progress has been made except that I know pretty much exactly where I am headed and am on course to end up with something I am happy with.
IMG_1516[1].jpg
First - it took f o r e v e r to get the correct wheel and tire combo so now I have 15" rims instead of the 17 inchers. Overall I lowered the trailer about 2 1/2."
IMG_1517[1].jpg
Then I routed out a groove for the E-Track so that the deck of the trailer will stay flat in case I want to build sides and use it to haul a big load of something like dirt. I hve no plans to use it for that, but I am building it with pockets so I can put sides on it if I so choose. If you look close at one of the pics, you can see the groove the track goes into. The E-Track will straddle two boards with the gap between the boards allowing unwated debris to fall through to the ground instead of packing in and needing frequesnt cleaning.

Now it is at the shop for welding. I am having the tongue redone - the old one was crap; a side post installed to replace the post munted in the center of the tongue so I can tilt it completely up out of danger from dragging or high centering; lowering the side rails and fenders as close to 9 1/2" as possible so the doors can be operated. I may end up adding a 2x6 under the tires at the point where the doors get to the fenders to raise the car just enough to not hit.
IMG_1518[1].jpg
The sied bars were reomved and new LOWER sides will be fabricated with pockets and stuff
IMG_1519[1].jpg
More to come but for now that is where I am at.

·
Ticket Magnet
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Nice job Mike! Does that mean you will bring the Elise down to join us for some events next year?
I am counting on it!

Old Man - I considered the removable fender option. Upon further consideration, probably the best way to put it is that I want options that one person could comfortably perform and double axle fenders would probably be too heavy for me to perform on a regular basis and like it. Insead I think we have changed a few things and gained a little here and there and we'll be fine. But I do appreciate your sage advice.

·
Banned
3,239 Posts
I am counting on it!

Old Man - I considered the removable fender option. Upon further consideration, probably the best way to put it is that I want options that one person could comfortably perform and double axle fenders would probably be too heavy for me to perform on a regular basis and like it. Insead I think we have changed a few things and gained a little here and there and we'll be fine. But I do appreciate your sage advice.
Just to add to this conversation, if the fenders were hinged from the front or the back, you could have that "removable" feature...depending on what you were looking for. Or better yet...hinge it from both ends and have a removable pins...then you would have options.

·
Ticket Magnet
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
So here is the latest. The guys are doing a bang-up job on the trailer.

IMG_1583[1].jpg

The ramps are one of the coolest things they have created. They are sooo light and fit perfect!

IMG_1580[1].jpg

IMG_1581[1].jpg

21 - 27 of 27 Posts