The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Hey, I'm sorry, but my work never managed to keep me busy enough so... considering I was hourly, I had to make it look like I was actually doing something!

Cruising the same ol websites does get pretty boring, but thank god for mp3 players! :clap:

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
This is my understanding of the Two-Hour-Rule:

"However, should two hours elapse before the scheduled race distance is completed, the leader will be shown the chequered flag when he crosses the control line (the Line) at the end of the lap during which the two hour period ended."

(from the 2008 FIA Sporting Regulations for Formula 1 races)

It looks like working in an office is as exhausting as driving a F1 car. :panic:

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
before i started my business 20 years ago i worked for a comapny where poeple would go out and take cigarrette breaks evey 1/2 hour or so.
they lasted about 10 minutes. they always seemed to do it when it was the busy hour(restaurant).
I dont smoke, and i resented it that these people were not only rewarded for their habit by getting a rest break, but they also dumped the extra workload on us nonsmokers.
so ol' fishguy came up with the "non smoking smoking break"
I would stand there when it was busy, lean against the wall, give a look as if in deep thought, and blow off any calls for help from inside.
i just stood there.
when i was confronted, I explained that i should also get the same rights as a smoker gets. the smokers were really pissed off, the manager was in a corner with this approach(i was an excellent worker), and some of the other non smokers joined me.
the rule was, you needed to lean against the wall, and just stand there,.................BSing was allowed.
my point was made, and the smokers were not allowed to take these breaks until it was not busy. i didnt care if they smoked, but i sure did resent that it made me have to pick up the slack for their habit.
to this day i stil laugh at that situtation.

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
before i started my business 20 years ago i worked for a comapny where poeple would go out and take cigarrette breaks evey 1/2 hour or so.
they lasted about 10 minutes. they always seemed to do it when it was the busy hour(restaurant).
I dont smoke, and i resented it that these people were not only rewarded for their habit by getting a rest break, but they also dumped the extra workload on us nonsmokers.
so ol' fishguy came up with the "non smoking smoking break"
I would stand there when it was busy, lean against the wall, give a look as if in deep thought, and blow off any calls for help from inside.
i just stood there.
when i was confronted, I explained that i should also get the same rights as a smoker gets. the smokers were really pissed off, the manager was in a corner with this approach(i was an excellent worker), and some of the other non smokers joined me.
the rule was, you needed to lean against the wall, and just stand there,.................BSing was allowed.
my point was made, and the smokers were not allowed to take these breaks until it was not busy. i didnt care if they smoked, but i sure did resent that it made me have to pick up the slack for their habit.
to this day i stil laugh at that situtation.
I had the EXACT same problem when I was working in an ice cream store in high school and did almost exactly the same thing until the policy changed where each person could break one time for 10 minutes in a 6 hour shift, smoker or not.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
I'm ALWAYS at work.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
But you make the most money.....and drive one of them fancy Lotus Eleeses.
Hahahahahahahhahahahhaaa...... yeah... that's what the neighbors think !

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
My line of work is feast or famine. I am, at times, exceedingly bored at work. My "slacking" hours have never ever cost anyone any productivity. eg, "the company" is not losing money while I post this comment.

There are times when I work 40 hours straight. During a day like this, 1 to 2 hours of that 40 might be bathroom breaks and snack breaks. But it's literally big effing deal when I'm called upon to work those hours. It's usually pretty high stress so I'm not only losing sleep and eating poorly, I'm also working up ulcer and blood pressure problems.

Then there are days when I'm in fireman mode. I do whatever I want until the next fire and then I jump and immediately put it out. In those situations, I'm paid for my intellectual property the same way a surgeon is paid to be on call. In these cases, I look for things to do. Things that don't necessarily have to be done. They certainly don't have a deadline or a VP calling to check progress. But they are things that will make my job more efficient down the road. They are things that might reduce the chances of the next fire - thus producing more "free" time.

The simple fact is the better I am, the less I will have to do. I get paid to be good and be available more than I do to complete repetitive tasks.

·
shay2nak
24,979 Posts
NICE! :D

finally get what "G Job" is. I was always asked while working at Harman Audio..."is that your G-Job?" ....LOL!

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
I just had a good employee quit to take a lower paying job, where she knew she would have enough time to do her homework for college behind her new bosses back. I can't match that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts