The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there have been a million threads about noises and squeaks and rattles heard inside our Lotus cars.

But I think I have found the number one culprit.

I bought my '05 Elise at the end of that year from SouthBay Lotus.

From the beginning there were squeaks and pops that I thought were coming from the seat belt tensioner or the plastic behind me...I could never figure it out. You can't get to the area under the drivers seat. You can just stick your hand under there hoping to find a loose quarter or something.

Two days ago, I purchased two '07 ProBax seats from Lotus Beverly Hills to replace my original seats. I wanted more comfort and also had hopes that some of the noises might stop.

I asked Allen if we could please replace the sliding metal contraption that holds up the drivers seat and lets it slide back and forth. He said he would, and a new one was installed.

The seats are wonderful, much better than the '05 racing buckets.

But the other thing? ALL THE SQUEAKS AND POPS ARE GONE.

It was the slider. Loose in parts, bent in some places.

If you have noises you can't figure out, have your service manager replace that thing. It's under warranty too, if your warranty is still in place. :clap:

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
My exige seat squeaks every once in awhile.

Lotus will fix a squeak!?

Thats hard to believe. :)

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This was more than a squeak.

This has been a series of noises.

They replaced my seat slider under warranty and they said it was really rattling.

Worth a look. :eek:

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
I had mine replaced twice, since it was loose and the seat kept sliding and rocking back and forth.. It never made any noises though. Someone makes a kit that lowers the seat a bit and permanently mounts it in one position so that it wont rattle anymore. Insane had it on his car and I noticed that it does give you a little more headroom.

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
I had mine replaced twice, since it was loose and the seat kept sliding and rocking back and forth.. It never made any noises though. Someone makes a kit that lowers the seat a bit and permanently mounts it in one position so that it wont rattle anymore. Insane had it on his car and I noticed that it does give you a little more headroom.
How much rocking of the seat is considered "normal"?
I've noticed lately that when I push and pull the top end of the seat (headrest) back and forth it moves at least 1/2 an inch.
I was about to take the seat out and check to see if everything on the slider mechanism is tight.
But since this came up in this thread - how much does your seat rock?

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Mine rocked about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch. The thing that annoyed me is that the seat would slide or rock when I braked or accelerated, so it felt like my butt was sliding all over the place.

The second track had a problem from the start. The original track required that you pull up about an inch to get the seat to slide. The second one required that I only lift it about 1/4 inch to get the seat to slide. It didnt rock for a week, but then the problem started again.

The third one is ok and just barely rocks after 2 years. I think Lotus came out with a new track number, since the parts manual lists two different numbers for the tracks, and I think they were revised in 2006, so maybe I have a newer one.

The problem is in the design of the tracks, they are like a kitchen drawer track, which is in the first picture. Since they are higher and less wide, any side to side movement looses or bends the tracks and that causes the rocking. If they were designed to be lower and wider like in the second picture, then it would appear that the problem would be solved.

By the way, I took the seats out and checked all the nuts and bolts to see if they were loose, but everything was fine. It was a problem with the tracks, not the nuts and bolts holding the seat to the track being loose.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Mine had a small clack-clack every time I accelerate or brake. I thought there was a rock somewhere that bounced back and forth but finally isolated it to the seat-track bearings.

Just go to any auto parts store and get some multi-purpose grease. I used a dowel to work some into the track and moved it back and forth a few times (I had the track and seat out of the car so it was pretty easy to lube up. You might be able to do it under the seat but YMMV.

Click/clack and squeak (at least that one) is gone, but it won't fix the small seat movement if the rail has some play in it.

I switched to a fixed (tall-rails from Sector 111) setup for a bit, but swapped the slider back in so my wife can drive it.

Hope it helps,

-Erik

1 - 13 of 13 Posts