The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Less is Better
2,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I thought this side-by-side of the Elise and V6 Exige was eye opening. I didn't realize how much bigger the Exige grew in width.

From this view, it legitimately looks like a completely different car.

·
Registered
375 Posts
^ I thought the wheelbase was longer for the Exige but It looks the same as the Elise? Obviously the body work is longer/wider at the front/rear.

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
Yeah. isn't the v6 Exige like 500 lbs heavier?

The car is nice, but the back is horrific.

·
Super Moderator
5,454 Posts
^ I thought the wheelbase was longer for the Exige but It looks the same as the Elise? Obviously the body work is longer/wider at the front/rear.
The added wheelbase is immediately noticeable from the drivers seat as the car feels tamer than the Elise (I jumped out of my 156BHP Rover powered Elise and into the 345BHP Exige for a brief drive). Just an observation and I appreciated it given the additional power!

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Yeah. isn't the v6 Exige like 500 lbs heavier?

The car is nice, but the back is horrific.
Indeed heavier at a little over 2400lbs. The Exige front looks damn good and couldn't agree more with your comment on the rear. It's like the car version opposite of a "Butter Face".

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Heavier, a hybrid really (all sorts of cars were used to make this thing), unbalanced visually, weak top, basic engine cover, terrible rear, and they made it even worse with the newer ones.

The front, however, is to die for.

The original S3 is at the top with the 4 tails, the newer one is at the bottom with just 2 and 2 smaller ones. PUKE

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
I think all generations of the Exige are special cars to look at -- any of them look great out on the road or track! But I prefer the smaller and lighter S2.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
The S3 is not an ugly car by any means - especially compared with some of the hideous things rolling around these days, but I feel that from every angle, the S3 is not nearly as attractive as the S2. Including the front. It just seems so bland to me. That and the fact that it is so much heavier makes it a very unattractive car to me.

·
Registered
375 Posts

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Personally, I think Lotus did an absolutely brilliant job with the front, and side of the S3. The shapes they used are just fantastic, and the updating with regards to widening the rear is so smooth and beautiful. It's so sad that they dropped the ball completely on the access covers, top, hatch, and rear.

I hate to admit it, but in real life, the car has an enormous amount of presence, making the S2 look like a kid with dirt on his face. Standing next to it, you forgive the designers for making the front and rear so large compared to the old tiny cabin, but it's pretty obvious if you spend any time looking at it. Looks great in pix, as long as you photograph it from the front.

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
The S3 is just an evolution of the design. Too bad about the rear. I don’t know why they had to do that. The Evora doesn’t have that ugly sh*t. They didn’t go hardcore enough with the S2 and you’re seeing that with all these crazy versions of the S3.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
I agree with both of those statements. The roof scoop adds a lot, visually, even if it isn't as functional as it appears.

And yes, the S2 was very tame, but so elegant because of it.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts