The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the more i read on these threads,,,it looks as if most people who are on here either have an elise or an exige,,,,,,and the ones who have the v8 (which is the one i want,,my dream car),,,have many problems,,,,,,were they not made very well ?,,,,,are most the problems worked out from 2002-2004 ? help me out a bit peeps,,,,,im ready to buy,,,,and am trying to tell myself that it will be ok,,,,maintence,,,,,is it more to maintain a lotus v8 or a testerossa ? i feel you all would know these questions seeing this will be my first exotic i will own......:confused:

·
Registered
261 Posts
Oh boy! This is going to be good :popcorn:

·
Registered
580 Posts
There are probably more threads and resources on this out there than you'd ever care to read.

In a nutshell, as with any car, if they've been taken care of and well maintained, they're as reliable as anything else. The 2000+ Esprits are the years to look for as they had pretty well all of the issues with the car ironed out.

A TR will cost you a hell of a lot more to service. However, it's also a hell of a lot more fun, if not quite as good looking in my opinion.

·
Registered
677 Posts
engine was actually pretty good - it was the citroen gearbox that let the car down.

350 bhp from 3.5l twin turbo so not stressed at all.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Seemingly owners of British cars like to bitch about problems. Owners of Italian exotics seem to keep their mouths shut and sell their problems to the next guy down the line.

·
98 Esprit V8 Calypso Red
310 Posts
If you need more info, send me a PM. I can give you a break down of what you should be looking for and what you need to budget and how your car should be taken care of. That'll give you an idea of how much money you need to budget every year for repair and maintenance. For sure it'll be a heck lot less than a Testerossa.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Seemingly owners of British cars like to bitch about problems. Owners of Italian exotics seem to keep their mouths shut and sell their problems to the next guy down the line.
...oooh, that's good...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts