The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Loves to talk
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
^Everybody here who bought a Lotus instead of a Porsche stand up NOW! See? Touchy feely isn't just for snowflakes. We have more touchy feely than anybody. Makes you proud to be a human being. Subjective analysis rules, numbers are for dweebs. BRG Elise has it nailed. It's the car they would all buy. Aside: been here for two years and finally figured out your name!! I guess I'm slow on the pickup....like my car!

·
Jeff
154 Posts
I found the test pretty interesting, not just because I'm always pulling for the Lotus to do well (which it certainly did), but obviously the winner is a bit of a shocker. We'd already been planning to buy the Veloster N for my wife next year after her Mini lease expires (we're definitely not buying that thing), so this was a nice little tease for us.

I really doubt Hyundai paid for them to win. I do have a good friend who's a journalist for one of the top auto magazines and he was thrilled when I asked him his opinion of the N earlier this year; everything I've seen or heard says that it really is a blast. I suspect it won because it's really designed to be fun and involving, and for the driver, that is more important that outright speed or stats. Many of those high-dollars cars in the comparison have zero interest for me, not least because most of them don't even have a clutch pedal, whereas the N can only be had that way.

As for FWD/RWD - after my last run of daily drivers (WRX, STi, another STI, and now the BRZ), I've said that I never again want a FWD car for myself. My wife's not as hardcore as I am so I have no problem there, but I will be very curious to borrow the N and beat it on a little to see how it feels compared to my rear-drive BRZ.

There's certainly plenty of M100 owners here who I'm sure would be happy to defend FWD, too!

·
Registered
837 Posts
Hyundai Veloster?

I have a '12 Elantra with close to 140K miles. A nice car. I know I am spoiled driving a Lotus, but the Elantra's handling (especially on a bumpy curve) is not good - feels out of control almost as if it is hydroplaning.

No doubt the handling on the new Veloster must be OK

·
Premium Member
6,239 Posts
Veloster is a perfectly fine car and if forced to go FWD, it would be between that and a Civic Type R. Forget the GTI as they have always had a rubbery connection to everything going all the way back to the girlfriends 1975 Rabbit. Seems a common denominator in all VAG cars. Audis still have that heavy hard rubbery level of communication. In the RWD world of obtainable fun, BRZ and Miata are the 2 best choices on the market. Both are stellar cars in search of 50-100 more HP in a top end variant as the chassis are highly capable without the weight burdens modern types demand through all their connectivity crap etc.
Its a great time to be a REAL driver. Clutch lover or not.

One of the things I wait for on any new Lotus release is if it will finally have a PDK quality transmission. Manuals are fine but UNlike my feelings about the new forum format (which is not better, I look forward to the new technology in transmissions as I have maxed out my manual skills and am ready to move forward.. Will probably always have a manual somewhere but.....

·
Registered
26 Posts
PCOTY: The Hyundai Veloster N? Yes, you read that right. Now read the rest:

R&T: PCOTY

We did fine but as must be with a ten year old design, The GT is a bridesmaid, not the bride. If you don't want to read the whole story, the short take is that the GT gets confirmation as the car the editors would actually buy for themselves. The lack of now expected refinement (aftermarket infotainment, feature deficit, etc) held it back from outright victory. But we know that. Lotus cars have alway been about prioritizing feel and joy, and in that department even the experts agree. I still say the retail price of a loaded GT is a bit of handicap compared to the others, but if that's your problem, buy a 400 and get 95% of the essential goodness. As for me, between a Veloster N and a GT? Well, that's easy!

·
Registered
26 Posts
It’s a very strange article. Reading I was in disbelief about the Hyundai. The looks, attention and feel of the GT is over the top. I can’t see a Hyundai clipping down the highway at 160 plus. The feel of driving is nothing like a GT. Grant you my handling and braking is another level above a standard GT. . I know where my money is invested and it’s 100% well spent.

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
One of my friends got a Veloster N. We autocross and he has let me drive it in a few events. My only overall #1 PAX finish was in his car. He has put on a stiff rear bar and some sticky street tires. Quite frankly it's an amazing car. Rotates surprisingly well when you lift in a corner (big rear bar == FWD fun). It is also more forgiving than my Elise when I over-drive it. I have been able to catch it easily when the back end slips out with a bit of counter steer and then just point the FWD where I wanna go. Get back on the throttle and the rear will catch up later through most elements. I am not a front-wheel drive lover, but that car handles amazingly well. The twin scroll turbo setup makes the lag practically non-existent, and the power level is not insane but definitely enough for hooning fun.

No, it is not on the level of a Lotus in performance. However I can understand why it would get some Car of the Year love.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Gotta admit I'm a little confused ... Where did the Evora finish? 2nd? 3rd? They never listed the order of the candidates.

·
Loves to talk
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I haven't seen where they actually put a finishing order in print (and I subscribe) but I take your word for it Mr. Buff!

I 'm not disappointed by a 4th place finish for the GT in this company especially factoring in price vs. feature set, areas where our cars cannot place highly in any objective measure. That said, this is presumably a test where driver appeal and focus factor highest and Lotus always is an overachiever in those categories.

You've got subjective and objective considerations that will inform one person's opinion differently than another's. Objectively even the newest Evora is going to provide less electronic sophistication, a sparser cabin and fewer features than even an average economy car., which for us is kind of the point actually. But it isn't for everyone. Those are presumably the main qualities and virtues the new Lotus under Geely will be addressing and I believe most of us think that's necessary for the marque to move forward.

Anybody who is disappointed by the Evora's placement in this test might consider the cars it finished in front of. That's the M2 Comp, the McLaren 600LT (hows that for a reaming?) the Supra, (cheaper, newer, wildly anticipated) the Miata (cheep cheep but all agree superb value), the Lambo, an RCF (not a surprise) and the GTR. We all bought these cars on the strength of their character. None of us are yer' average car buyer.

Anyway, to repeat, they all said "the Lotus is the one we'd personally buy." That's the real win.

Here's an article with a critique of the article :).

LINK

·
Wingless Wonder
5,396 Posts
Actually, with a day to review the article, you were correct, there wasn't a published finishing order, just that chart 1/3 down the page. :unsure:

21 - 31 of 31 Posts