The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
So you no longer have a rusting hulk hidden in your garage but a running vehicle in the driveway right? Sorry couldnt resist, I'll consider myself smacked upside the head :D :D :D

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
babak said:
So you no longer have a rusting hulk hidden in your garage but a running vehicle in the driveway right? Sorry couldnt resist, I'll consider myself smacked upside the head :D :D :D
Damn babak... you're playing with fire! :eek: Topeka might not be too far for her to come over and kick your ass. :D

Neil

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Little Bastard said:
Damn babak... you're playing with fire! :eek: Topeka might not be too far for her to come over and kick your ass. :D

Neil
I've got more mouth than sense :D
Considering for most racers all roades eventually DO lead to Topeka and Heartland park I'm sure she'll have ample opportunity to do so :cool:

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Woo Hoo! Congrats Lillie! Bring The Wedgie to the next get together! I'd love to see it!

Bob

·
Registered
5,215 Posts
CONGRATS!!!

Come and help me start my Elan... It's not run in over 15 years. Total resto, 98% complete... just need to:
- bleed brakes
- bleed clutch
- hang exhaust system
- front end alignment
- mount seats
- mount steering wheel
- mount different tranny mount
- mount front sway bar

time to start 'er up! :D

Kiyoshi

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I dont know how much you guys want me to work on your cars. I have a very bad coolant leak (I thought it was from the intake manifold that has coolant passages). Well, there is still a lot of white smoke after I "fixed" the holes. I just pulled the intake off again, and it looks like the holes are indeed plugged, so I'm not sure if I need to just run it longer (a lot of coolant filled up the muffler) or if there is another more serious problem (e.g. cracked head/block).:confused:

At the moment I feel confident enough that I should just run it longer. I dont see any new coolant filling the muffler pipes (all beautiful 4 of them). I've only run it twice and for 5-10 minutes total. It seemed like the steam was also decreasing a bit, but I shut it off because the coolant system needs to be bled before it works efficiently and the motor was beginning to run hot. I also didnt notice any blow-by (or steam in the crank case, but the oil does appear to have some coolant in it, but there is no (noticeable) oil in the coolant). And there is a lot less coolant in the oil today than there was yesterday (I noticed the leak before I ran the motor when I was turning it over with the ignition off to get oil pressure up).

But I'm running out of ideas, and patience, and I'm ready to cry. I've never had something like this happen on a motor build, and I'm fearing that the thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours spent have been a complete waste. I'm a bit nervous. And now I'm really sad that all my fiat friends are in NoCal. So I dont have any help either except for a local mechanic that I dont trust.

I hope owning a lotus is never like owning a fiat. Sigh.

Does anyone have any other ideas? Wouldnt the machine shop (or myself) notice a cracked block or cylinder head? I cant imagine that a bad head gasket would "pour" the amount of coolant I have witnessed into the engine. Literally I've probably lost a liter of coolant. It's as if I've plugged a coolant line into the exhaust sytem.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
dumb question, but any oil in the coolant that is circulating? Wouldn't its presence be due to cracked head or its absense rule it out?

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, as there can never be the pure absence of gases passing through the pistons to the crank case, wouldnt that also provide a passageway for coolant? The coolant was filling the combustion chamber (as I could see from the spark plugs) before I ran the motor.

I just turned it over a bunch of times with the intake off, and I saw no new coolant develop from the plugged holes, nor did I see new coolant coming out of the tailpipes. Hmmmmm, do I wait to see if the coolant dries out?

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Also, there was not a lot of coolant in the oil, only a bit. The majority of the coolant was in the intake/exhaust/combustion area, especially exhaust (in buckets).

·
Registered
5,215 Posts
MW...

If I understand correctly you believe the coolant leak was coming from between the intake manifold & head. That allowed some coolant into the cylinders, which then got pumped out into the exhaust system.

It also appears you've been able to confirm that the leak is stopped.

Things to check...

1) coolant in the oil. A tiny bit is okay, but you should change it and the oil filter to be safe. Mayonaise doesn't lubricate...

2) check compression in all 4 cylinders. You don't know how much water got into the cylinders. Water doesn't compress and if the engine didn't hydro lock, then it is possible that...
a) rod bent
b) cylinder wall cracked
c) head gasket blew

3) When running pull the radiator cap off. Are there bubbles coming out? Sign of a possible blown or leaking head gasket.

4) Pull the plugs and do a visual inspection. Drop a "peanut" light down into each cylinder and see what you can see. "Peanut" light is a flashlight bulb.

Good luck,
Kiyoshi

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
The problem with the X1/9 is that it's a bit of a bear to bleed the cooling system. (Radiator in front, twin pipes under the car, yada, yada, yada...)

MW... as Kiyoshi suggested, run a compression test. Do not start the engine again without first draining ALL the oil and coolant. Then fill the engine again with fresh oil. The last thing you want is to have any coolant displace the oil and cause metal-to-metal contact.

I'd also suggest pulling the valve cover and double-checking the head bolt torque. I'm sure you did this, but did you "step" the head torquing? And did you wait a day between torquing the head bolts to make sure that the bolts had relaxed before tightening again?

If you have coolant in the exhaust system and in the oil, it sounds like it's a head gasket problem. (It's purely speculative though.) Were there alignment dowels in the block to positively locate the gasket and the head? Maybe one edge of the gasket folded as you were installing the head?

Sorry to hear about the problems with the X1/9... but hang in there. Building your own motor brings with it an amazing amount of pride.

Bob

1 - 20 of 58 Posts