The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

The weight guessing thread

4K views 44 replies 24 participants last post by  zvezdah1 
#1 ·
OK, with the engine announcement (hopefully) coming very soon, and seeing as how we don't have a whole lot more to talk about until that announcement comes... here we go:

Anyone who guesses closest to the weight of the US spec Elise without going over gets... wait for it...

NOTHING! ;)

But you get to say "I guessed closest".

My guess is 1875LB.

#4 ·
Why not make it more interesting? A real prize. A free camcorder racing mount from conecam?

The closest weight to the published weight, not including hardtop.

:)

#8 ·
Hmm... good question.

I am thinking first official data published by Lotus. Whatever form. Dry or wet. With or without African or European Swallow.

#13 ·
zvezdah1 said:
If we're going with first OFFICIAL published weight by Lotus, I'd say 1000 pounds. Manufacturers are notorious for using incredible formulas to come up with weights for the sales literature. ;)
Chris
I have to agree with you on that one. The current PDF sales manual has the versions with all the goodies (aircon, electric windows, etc) having the exact same weight as the other versions. Tosh.

Craigy

#14 ·
Forgot to mention that SELOC is having a shootout at the emerald rolling road in october - a bunch of tuned elises (s1's and s2's) and a few re-engined elises (honda K20A conversions, an audi 1.8 Turbo) - we will probably do corner weights there at the same time so that ought to provide some more real-world figures.

Point of note. If the honda and audi figures are to be believed, they do 0-100mph in under 8.5 seconds! (power to weight ratios in the 300bhp/tonne bracket) - that's more than a lambo diablo.

Cool, eh?

http://forums.seloc.org/showevent.php?eid=123

#16 ·
HI Craigy et al,
Here's a copy of something I harvested from SELOC earlier this year and posted on Roadfly. SELOC is a great BBS btw.

Hopefully, once the Elise actually get's here we can have events in different parts of the US!!
Chris

>>>>>>>HI All,
Posted on SELOC:

"Rolling road weight results

From November last year.
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As chief weigher and holder of the results, I've compiled results for the
8 cars that went on the scales on Saturday.

Each car was weighed and the fuel gauge was read. In an attempt to level
the playing field, I have attempted to calulate the "empty" weight of each
car by subtracting the weight of the fuel in the car. My research has
come up with a weight of 0.72kg per litre of fuel and I've measured
everything to the nearest kg. Obviously, the Elise's fuel gauge is
notoriously inaccurate but I thought it was the best way of doing it.

Name: Bogie
Car: Elise S2 Type 72
Measured weight: 773kg @ 25l
EMPTY WEIGHT: 755kg

Name: Colin Ziepe
Car: VX220 (with hardtop)
Measured weight: 884kg @ 30l
EMPTY WEIGHT: 862kg

Name: Kevin Moloney
Car: Elise S2 Type 25 (with hardtop)
Measured weight: 773kg @ 10l
EMPTY WEIGHT: 766kg

Name: Liam Crilly
Car: Elise S1 (1999)
Measured weight: 748kg @ 35.5l (reading full, estimated from distance travelled)
EMPTY WEIGHT: 722kg

Name: Peter Haynes
Car: Elise S1 (1997)
Measured weight: 734kg @ 34l
EMPTY WEIGHT: 710kg

Name: Rob Catee
Car: Elise S2
Measured weight: 778kg @ 31l
EMPTY WEIGHT: 756kg

Name: Simon Foden
Car: Elise S1 (2000)
Measured weight: 743kg @ 24l
EMPTY WEIGHT: 726kg

Name: Stuart Kirkbride
Car: Elise S1 111S
Measured weight: 750kg @ 27l
EMPTY WEIGHT: 731kg" <<<<<<<<<<<<
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#23 ·
Re: Crap!

adamant said:

BTW Randy, what if we already have the racing mount :)
Then you will like some of our new products instead. :)

P.S. I got a phone call this morning-

"About the suction cup mount you sell. Seems to work quite well. We tested it last night to 130mph. But we are wondering how fast you have tested it before we take it to full speed?"

"Umm.. what is full speed for you guys?"

"220mph"

"Tell you what. You test it and let us know" :)

#26 ·
Re: Re: Crap!

Randy Chase said:
Then you will like some of our new products instead. :)

P.S. I got a phone call this morning-

"About the suction cup mount you sell. Seems to work quite well. We tested it last night to 130mph. But we are wondering how fast you have tested it before we take it to full speed?"

"Umm.. what is full speed for you guys?"

"220mph"

"Tell you what. You test it and let us know" :)
What are those guys driving? I'm guessing by the "at night" thing it's maybe not a racing car/bike, more likely something like a tuned huyabusa or perhaps a stupidly tuned up supra.

Craigy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.