The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

About to get a new Elise and would like the sound system to be Awsome this time. Not sure where all the previous Audio posts ran away to, but I have a question:

Has anyone run a JL Stealthbox in the footwell AND a behind the seat Sub?
If so, did you use a separate amp for each sub?

My last Elise had an 8 behind the seat and I was less than impressed.

Planning on doing the JC rings on the dash to increase size and cutting out the rears for same.

Suggestions for components are much appreciated.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
The system I had in my prior Elise was the best sounding system I've ever owned.

Here are the items:

- Kenwood Exelon head unit (custom double din mod). Any nice head unit will do the trick
- JL Stealthbox
- Alpine PDX5 amp
- Rears were 6.5 JL C2s
- Fronts were Focal 4" with SEPARATE 1" tweeters (custom install).

Was all installed custom and tune by a shop.

Sounded incredible.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sound Insulation

@Swing, any rec's on Sound Insulation?
Dynamat, Damplifier, there's like 10 different kinds.
Figure while the whole interior's apart, might as well.
I'll do the AC mod while I'm at it.

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
would like the sound system to be Awsome this time
I literally burst out laughing when I read this. I think you're driving the wrong car my friend. Best stereo you can put in these? A really nice set of noise canceling earbuds. Seriously.

I Elige will never have an Awesome sound system, period.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
^ what's wrong with liking good audio in your car? I like blasting when the levee breaks by zeppelin and bombing down the small streets. The loud music only enhances the atmosphere.

Anyways, to the OP, I added an 8" competition sub to a custom made box in the footwell. I didn't touch the stock alpine speakers and head unit, and it sounded incredible. I'm no expert in car audio, but I've gone through at least 7 or 8 audio installs in all the cars I've owned and was blown away by the dynamics in the little Elise. I changed the head unit to a single knob clarion for no reason other than esthetics and it did nothing to improve the audio. Just go with a high quality foot well sub and you can probably stop there.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
alot of people like Jim Clayton speaker rings. lets you put larger speakers in the front.
if you search there are alot of threads on sounds systems and sound insulation

Ed

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
I literally burst out laughing when I read this. I think you're driving the wrong car my friend. Best stereo you can put in these? A really nice set of noise canceling earbuds. Seriously.

I Elige will never have an Awesome sound system, period.
I disagree. Yes, the Elige has so much going against it acoustically, but the system I had in my last car, while basic (4 speaker, amp, sub), sounded incredible. Better than the fancy pants Bang and Olufsen set up that came in my S4.

·
Premium Member
5,195 Posts
I went full out on my Triumph TR4. On the Elise all money spent goes into performance and suspension. The music in the lotus is the supercharger whine and the exhaust.

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts

·
Cyberdyne Model 101
347 Posts
I disagree. Yes, the Elige has so much going against it acoustically, but the system I had in my last car, while basic (4 speaker, amp, sub), sounded incredible. Better than the fancy pants Bang and Olufsen set up that came in my S4.
I've to agree with SwingLo, I've got nearly the exact same setup and its incredible.

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
As this is a subjective argument we'll have to agree to disagree. To clarify my point is around the word "awesome". I've had some great car stereos in my day from high end factory to $5k aftermarket systems. As a side the best I've personally heard was in my '09 Subaru Legacy base model w/factory sub. Sounded great but not amazing.

Sorry I was also being a bit cheeky as I find it rather silly when people try to make these cars into something they aren't. But again that's subjective too so we shouldn't argue that either. So my apologies for being a bit dick'ish.

And yes, there are already many many threads on this subject, using Google for search is your friend.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
All good in the hood.

Honestly, re: the system I had in my last car, I was BLOWN AWAY by how good it sounded. Didn't think it was possible.

It had:

- Kenwood double din hu
- Focal 4" fronts
- JL 6.5 rears
- Alpine PDX5 amp behind seat
- JL Stealthbox on floor

Very similar set up many do, but I also had a bit of dynamat under and behind the seats. Nothing crazy.

I had a 'yo yo yo' pimp my ride show do the tuning of the system and that was the trick. $50 for a professional amp/system tuning was the difference. That thing sounded incredible.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts

An Elige will never have an Awesome sound system, period.
The first post of Ross' makes sense.

But the foam ear plugs also work.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts