The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know we must have a lot of wine drinkers, so here's your thread to discuss. :) What are you drinking often? What do you like?

Chis,
Yesterday's lunch with my mother required that her selection be opened. Generally not a big fan of these types, but your description at Baily was spot on even though you had the dry version. I think I would have preferred that one. Strong apple flavor, slightly tart, and zero complexity. Very young obviously. But hey, it gave me an excuse to use a glass that was collecting dust.

Tonight I'll probably have B&G's Chateauneuf-du-Pape.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
1. we can't get stripes.
2. we have no info about when our cars will arrive.

oops - sorry, I thought this was the whine thread:D

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
That whole blue bottle thing really bugs me...

The first person who correctly identifies the historical reason for blue bottles wins something from my cellar.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Robert Puertas said:
That whole blue bottle thing really bugs me...

The first person who correctly identifies the historical reason for blue bottles wins something from my cellar.
Light, whether natural or artificial, speeds wine spoilage. Darker bottle colors and certain shades protect wine from light.

·
Registered
387 Posts
James A said:
The spelling is different but the name is the same:
www.elysewine.com
The Cab is not too bad.
Their zin is usually outstanding also. I think the winemaker's daughter is Elyse. If I have another daughter maybe I'll name her .... well, maybe not.

Steve

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Oh dear, I had hoped someone wouldn't bring up the box. :rolleyes:

Of the wineries experimenting with screw caps, most have come away with favorable results. It will take a while before more try it and are satisfied with their own long term testing. Usually the plastic corks aren't used in wines meant for long term cellaring and I've seen those around in some lower priced selections. The long term effects just aren't known. Anyway, don't be hesitant just because a wine comes with a screw cap. Many wines that are offered with a screw cap are also offered with a cork. If you cellar your wines long term, buy both and see what happens yourself.

- J

PS: I opened the Chateauneuf-du-Pape with lunch. Refreshing to get back to something more challenging.

PSS: Robert, what does Zoomz win?

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Zoomz has failed to answer the question correctly, so the cellar door is still locked. ;)

Screw caps and star caps, like on soda pop bottles, give a much more consistant seal. Corks can go bad or lose seal when they dry out. Of course metal caps look cheaper, so public opinion keeps most wineries using cork. You'll find all sorts of wine made with both corks and screw caps, partly because it's now illegal to have bottle openers on airplanes...

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Vantage said:

PS: I opened the Chateauneuf-du-Pape with lunch. Refreshing to get back to something more challenging.
Are you drinking wine at lunch-time in Irvine, or are you back down in SD?

I really need to pick better people to go to lunch with...

·
Registered
100 Posts
Nice Glass!!!

I'm a wine enthusiast but certainly NOT a wine snob. The Oreforrs "Intermetzo" glass is a nice vessel, especially when paired with the nice blue bottle. (The correct answer, by the way, is that the blue glass filters out the rays that are most deleterious to the contents - the blue teardrop just looks pretty.)

I favor reds generally, and recommend most anything from Mission Hills - a fine Okanogan winery in south BC just over the Washington border. Not only are their wines very good, but the winery is a fabulous place and the whole area is fine driving.

Being from Washington, I can't overlook recommending anything from Ste. Michelle. They also have a wonderful facility in suburban Seattle but they do a "concerts on the lawn" series in the summer with some excellent talent.

Cheers!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Chateauneufs are definitely my alltime favorites. One that sticks out in my mind was a Domaine des Senechaux.
St Emilions are almost as good. Best one I've had is Chateau Simard St Emilion from 1990 which I can still buy at the NH liquor stores. (see picture)
St Julien and Pommard follow closely after...
Then there's always Montepulciano to mix up the countries a bit...

Whites aren't my favorite, but if I have to choose one, probably Pouilly Fuisse or Sancerre.

Picture shows a random sample of what I have right now, better wines on right. The Bouchard Aine & Fils Chardonnay and Fonte al Sole Sangiovese/Merlot on the left are both good values at around $8 each.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Re: Nice Glass!!!

CDubYa said:
...The correct answer, by the way, is that the blue glass filters out the rays that are most deleterious to the contents ...
While that might be true, I don't know that it works any better than the more common green & brown wine bottles.

You need to look further back historically to find the answer to my question.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Robert,
I'm in Irvine. Maybe our lunch schedules will coincide sometime.

CDubYa,
Brownie points for knowing the glass. Have heard great things about Ste. Michelle. I brought back a cabernet/merlot blend at a good value from Sumac Ridge on my last visit to BC.

Frukio,
Very nice collection. Too bad you are all the way in Boston, but perhaps we'll be at the same Elise Talk wine run yet.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Does it come from mined cobalt that was later sold to glassmakers by a Bristol businessman?

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Simple. Early on, wine bottles came in only certain colors. There was a Saffron Yellow Bottle and an Ardent Red Bottle. A local resident of the Vineyard named Sir Wallaby demanded that they create a Lazer Blue Bottle. They did and saw it was good. That coined the phrase "Lifestyle Bottle" after Sir Wallaby.

What do I win?

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
I think Randy's got it! ;)

Does it have anything to do with the color blue carrying certain prestige and perceived wealth (in ancient times)?

·
Registered
971 Posts
The C d' P's are one of my favorites too. Good thing that my Air Guard unit is supposed to spend a month in Provence next year. As I also like the Cotes d' Rhones as well. They are quite good but without the peppery flavor of the C d' P's.

On a similar note, anyone a mead fan? I just bottled a very nice sweet pure mead and a very dry raspberry mead. A hobby I've had since I turned 21.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts