The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all, I've been lurking here for a long time but since I'm looking to get into an Elise (or Exige if someone wants to part with one for the price of an Elise (seems unlikely)) in a few months I figured i should probably make a post here. I'm currently located in CA (Salinas). What brought me to Lotus was the fact that they're the best looking cars out there (even still today), and I think their philosophy of lightness/agility over raw power is more in line with what I think of when I think of a sports car. I am really looking forward to buying a car and seeing what the community has to offer.

I do have one area of light concern: I've never owned or really driven a sports car before. I've only driven a manual once, and it was my dad's old Saturn SL. Is an Elise forgiving at all or should I really invest heavily in driving lessons beforehand? (I had planned to take at least one to get the basics down but will invest in more if necessary).

I'll keep poking around and seeing what else I can glean from the forums, but I figured I should take the opportunity to say hello. Hopefully I'll be joining you guys in Lotus ownership soon.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,859 Posts
Is an Elise forgiving at all or should I really invest heavily in driving lessons beforehand?
WELCOME...

If you are referring to needing lessons for the 'theft deterrent' :p manual shifter:

After two weeks of driving, the stick-shift will become second nature. Practice in an open parking lot one or two times before venturing out on a public road, to see where the clutch 'bites' and get a feel for the brakes...

If you are referring to getting driving lessons at a track so that you can explore the ultimate Lotus experience:

YES!!!!! DO IT!!!!

Learn to heel-toe (note that the pedals on '05s are different than later cars) and enroll in an HPDE day at a track near you (when the pandemic permits). You will then be able to explore the capabilities of the car in a safer environment. (Always recommended)

HPDE = High Performance Drivers Education

·
Administrator
1,507 Posts
Welcome to LT! After getting comfortable driving on the street and you're feeling competent and your skill level is rising a HPDE on the track will let you really learn how to properly drive the car the way it was meant to be driven. Not sure in your area but due to covid HPDE instructors for novice and intermediate don't ride with you the do a lead and follow routine. Not as effective but you'll still be learning. Read back thru the many threads here on driving, the car and maintenance and everything will soon be second nature for you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts