The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had some issues with my 83 Esprit overheating today, and am wondering if it might be the thermostat, but can't find it in the parts book. I found the oil thermostat, but nothing for the radiator. Does it have a thermostat, and if so where is it located?

Also where is the sending unit for the temp gauge on the dash?

Lastly, when the car is cold how full should the header tank be?

·
Registered
30 Posts
My manual isn't handy right now, but on my '86 the cooling thermostat is located under the water-neck that curves up over the cambelt from the water pump, and the temperature sender is screwed in to the pump just below the thermostat, on the rear side and pointing a little to the left. It's a brass hex-thing with a green wire connected to it. Water should be about an inch below the top of the header tank when cold.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
there it is on page 40.13A - #23 & #25

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction- I was looking on the cooling system page

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
My manual isn't handy right now, but on my '86 the cooling thermostat is located under the water-neck that curves up over the cambelt from the water pump, and the temperature sender is screwed in to the pump just below the thermostat, on the rear side and pointing a little to the left. It's a brass hex-thing with a green wire connected to it. Water should be about an inch below the top of the header tank when cold.
Actually, It seems that each car will find its own level that may or may not be an inch below. Mine expels any extra out the drain tube and seems to settle at about 2 inches under and stays there. Other people claim halfway works. The key is that the car cools properly! Each car will find its happy spot. Of course, if the level keeps dropping and its NOT coming out of the overflow tube then you got a problem.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I had some issues with my 83 Esprit overheating today, and am wondering if it might be the thermostat, but can't find it in the parts book. I found the oil thermostat, but nothing for the radiator. Does it have a thermostat, and if so where is it located?

Also where is the sending unit for the temp gauge on the dash?

Lastly, when the car is cold how full should the header tank be?
Electric fans working?

All of them?

If all is well there, check your radiator core isnt half blocked up with calcium deposits like mine was.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haven't checked to see if all three fans are working yet, the idiot light-er-tell tale lamp- isn't coming on, but will check it out this morning. It's an intermittent problem which is why I'm leaning towards the thermostat but will add checking the radiator to the list. Good call.

I've had the car for about 4 months and am still learning it's unique personality (and also still discovering reasons why the previous owner sold the car).

·
Registered
30 Posts
Actually, It seems that each car will find its own level that may or may not be an inch below. Mine expels any extra out the drain tube and seems to settle at about 2 inches under and stays there. Other people claim halfway works. The key is that the car cools properly! Each car will find its happy spot. Of course, if the level keeps dropping and its NOT coming out of the overflow tube then you got a problem.
This is true too; I was speaking from the experience of myself and two other local owners. All of ours like to be about an inch below, and I've found that after a flush/fill I'll over-fill it and after some driving it'll settle to right about an inch below the cap. It's kind of amusing really, because before the Esprit my hobby was BMW motorcycles and the classic air-cooled boxers in those would find a way to shed oil until it was at the 'just-right' level that the individual engine preferred for whatever arcane reason. Those bike and the Esprit both seem to have a lot of 'personality.'

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I took the car out for a drive today with no overheating issues at all. Since it's apparently an intermittent problem, I'm thinking thermostat, but will have everything looked at.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Check the radiator cooling core for dirt and debris as this is a common problem. The cooling fins get plugged reducing air flow and causes overheating problems. The A/C condensor is right in front so you need to drop the pod for access and be sure to have a floor jack under it because it's very heavy dead weight.

The oil cooler and condensor can be unbolted, swung out of the way without unhooking any hoses. Best to remove the radiator and flush with water or blow out with compressed air.

·
Registered
104 Posts
My 1987 HCPI had been overheating so I put it in to have the head gasket replaced. The radiator had been replaced a couple of years ago. When the head was off I had the water pump refurbished. Yesterday the garage had the car running whilst I was there and the radiator was getting hot therefore I assume it had circulation and the temperature guage was ok at 90. I went to pick it up today and he said it is over heating again. He has pressure tested it and bled the system but it is still giving problems. I think the thermostat may be giving problems but I replaced that when the radiator was done. I have a 16lb rad cap on it. All this is with the car idling.

Any suggestions welcome

1 - 11 of 11 Posts