The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought these used for a decent price, but they needed new center caps, new paint job, and a set of new Falken rubber in the stock sizes. So with all that and the shipping costs they weren't the bargain of the century.

I had them powder coated in a hyper metallic silver to give them the brightest look they could have without being chromed or polished (personally don't like chrome/polished look for an old school exotic). They are definitely a brighter silver than the factory Nova's, but still in the same family of looks.

Attachments

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
awesome they look great!

You almost should have held out for 2002+ at this point and the money you spent!!
:)
Thanks!

Thought long and hard about that, and I still feel I did the right thing.

I got a really good deal on this 98, and the PO did just an amazing job of respecting and preserving the vehicle. It would be hard to find a 2002+ in as good of condition as this 98.

The problem is that if you buy a "newer" Esprit, it's still up to a 10 year old car that is in need of a many areas of refreshing. I would still need to upgrade the fans and radiator, I would still need to do the clutch and timing belts, and the suspension bushing on the rear go out too, and the exhaust is known to go too.

So the money I put in the 98 is the same money I would have put into a 2002, except for the wheels. But I still have the original AWI wheels, so when I go to sell the car, I will put them back on and sell the Novas and get most of that back. And I paid about 1/2 of what a 2002+ is selling for these days for this car. So it's all good.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Where did you get the center caps? I just bought a set of Novas also but only 2 caps. The wheels are being refinished.
Your wheels look great!

Randy

·
Registered
175 Posts
Nice wheels and great choice of tires.

I remember when I was looking for new tires.I spent literally,days online looking at reviews of tires.For their price point,The Falken 452's and one other Falken(dont remember the model) rated the highest in road handling in dry weather.Higher then many tires at twice the price.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,697 Posts
JAE. Cough, $40 each, cough...
:clap: The price hasn't gone up in 10 years! :clap:

Hooray for JAE. :up:

The plain silver caps on my '88 cost me $35 each back in the late '90s (after a determined tire-store monkey pushed them OUT to release them and broke off all the locking tangs). :mad: :sad: At that time the Lotus Logo caps were 50% more $$$.

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:clap: The price hasn't gone up in 10 years! :clap:

Hooray for JAE. :up:

The plain silver caps on my '88 cost me $35 each back in the late '90s (after a determined tire-store monkey pushed them OUT to release them and broke off all the locking tangs). :mad: :sad: At that time the Lotus Logo caps were 50% more $$$.
Dave Bean said they were closer to $15 recently, but went up.

1998 Lotus Esprit V8

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are you going to go for the round tail light conversion, next ?!:clap:
Don't think so. I would definitely if the car wasn't red. There's not enough contrast with red. I think they look great on silver and grey.

1998 Lotus Esprit V8

·
Registered
182 Posts
Are you going to hold on the the Monoblocs? Apparently, the rears are not available any more new... so if they are straight they could be worth some good coin.

...err, I mean.. they are worthless and you should box them up and ship them to me.

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Are you going to hold on the the Monoblocs? Apparently, the rears are not available any more new... so if they are straight they could be worth some good coin.

...err, I mean.. they are worthless and you should box them up and ship them to me.
Yes, I am planning on putting the AWI's back on the car when it comes time to sell it (who knows when that will be, but it always happens eventually). That is unless the AWI's could sell for the same price as the Novas. The Nova's are definitely not going cheap. One guy wanted $8K for them. I declined.

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Final results

Here they are on the car.

Attachments

·
Registered
480 Posts
That red paint work is just drop dead gorgeous! Not sure if it's the light but it looks like you've put about 15 coats of Nu Finish on it. Great looking car!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts