The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first got my car I noticed that the gas gauge wasn't working and the "check engine" light came on and stayed that way.
I brought the car in and after several days they found that the gauge was the real problem since it set off the "check engine" light.
After another few days they finally figured out how to fix the problem which they did. I go to pick up my car and as soon as I got into it I knew something was wrong.
There were wear marks on the center console (scratches), there was a deep gauge in the paint under the driver's pull on the door, there was a small scratch in the dash in front of the passenger side seat, there was a ding-scratch in the metal of the steering wheel and finally there were scratches on the hand brake metal that produced a little barb in the metal.
Obviously the tech who repaired the car ( there is only one who works on all the Lotus Elise cars at this dealership) must have been incredibly clumsy .

This all happened about 6 weeks ago. I called the service manager and mentioned these things to him. He was apologetic
and said he would order a new console. I am still waiting for the call that the part was in. These other blemishes are annoying to me and I can only imagine the difficulty ( the wait) I am going to have to get all of these things rectified. Ugh!!!
Just had to vent.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Man, that sucks, Lon. I don't know what to tell you. A guess the lesson is don't leave the dealership until you've gone over the car completely. :mad:

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
"...gosh darn it billy, i told ya to take that thar sanding disc of the air rachet!"

Thats awefull man... make you wonder just what goes through some people minds when they show up to work. i feel your pain though, i picked up my TVR from the shop and the lower front spoiler was shattered! had to get them to pay for a body shop to repair and paint the fiberglass, also had a shop crack a wheel on the P1800, that really sucked.

that is the one thing i like the BMW, they have an superb service organization. Hope the best that it all works out.

Maybe you can talk then into repairing and painting the center console body color, save them some money - and get a nice custom feature for free! hopefully the other items will go quickly too.

·
Registered
430 Posts
This just reinforces my approach of never taking a car to anyone for service. If I can't do it myself, I'll learn how to do it and buy the tools it takes.

I bought my MINI from Momentum BMW in Houston. I saw the car when it was unloaded from the car carrier and took dozens of photos of it showing the straight body panels and perfect factory paint. When I picked it up a few days later they had preped and washed it by running it through their automatic car wash. Their "wash" had scratched it so badly that it took me over 20 hours of wet sanding, buffing with a Porter Cable buffer and Meguire's #2, #3, and #9 to get it back to a somewhat presentable form. I still have about 8 to 10 hours of work to do to get it back to "new". Now the real pisser is that a friend of mine here on EliseTalk (Ara) took his BMW Z8 into the same dealer for service and the service manager apologized to him for not washing his car but said "No way am I going to run a Z8 through OUR car wash." It reallys sucks when the price of the car determines how you are treated.

Needless to say, I would not recommend anyone going to Momentum BMW in Houston. Check out the attached photo of some of the scratches in my "new" MINI.

John

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have an appointment on friday to have them fix everything. It means I won't have the car for a week.

·
Registered
637 Posts
lrattner said:
I have an appointment on friday to have them fix everything. It means I won't have the car for a week.
It's very weird. Taking the elise dash apart and putting it back together is pretty simple once you have done it once. I guess you were the unlucky guy they had to do first.

Craigy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts