The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone drive it yet? What are your impressions? What are the differences?

I heard the entrance to one is wider, and 11, 14, & 15 are more off camber now.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
I'll let you know after my run on the 21st. :D
Although, the guys running on the 22nd probably will give better feedback.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks larry

·
Registered
494 Posts
If you search youtube using "thunderhill bmw" and sort by date added, there are some videos of the new surface as well. However, I don't think it's done and we'll continue to see it evolve over the next few weeks.

Steve

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Drove it on the 21st as I posted earlier. It felt really good, like driving on the best paved road you have ever driven. The curbing is VERY tall right now, with the transition from track height to top of curb being nearly 45 degrees or more. Apparently they are still planning on cutting down the curbs (not 100% sure on that one). The instructions we received were to "Hollywood Kiss" the curbs (basically get really close but don't touch). I was getting some driver's side air off the curb at the top of 5 for a moment on each lap, which was a little un-nerving and cool all at the same time.:evil:
12 seemed to have lots of pavement through the apex with ridges in the surface to let you know you were getting too far into the turn.
13 apex curbing was flat and drivable.
14 felt a little off camber.
15 was nearly flat.
One problem I had (novice issue probably) was the cone jungle around 14 and 15. It was really hard to keep track of the proper line there...basically felt like there were 100 roadsigns telling you what to do so you just get confused with overstimulation. :D All in all, it was very cool. Even had to dodge some kind of hawk at the entrance to turn 2!

·
Registered
494 Posts
One problem I had (novice issue probably) was the cone jungle around 14 and 15. I was really hard to keep track of the proper line there...basically felt like there were 100 roadsigns telling you what to do so you just get confused with overstimulation. :D All in all, it was very cool. Even had to dodge some kind of hawk at the entrance to turn 2!
Glad you had fun! Sorry we weren't able to get out there.

Your problem will go away with experience; you'll learn that you only need to look at the apex of 14 as you approach it, then to the apex of 15 as you go through 14, then the exit kerbing of 15. It's an "eyes up" thing. :)

Steve

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Drove it yesterday. Didn't really feel any different in configuration wise. 1 didn't feel wider. In the morning it was very slippery. As the day went on and it got warmer, the track got much grippier. That is probably also due to alot of rubber being bedded in and most of the dust being blown off. NASA pretty much sold out all 9 run groups with about half of the groups running full slicks. It definitely has more grip then the old track.

One problem I had (novice issue probably) was the cone jungle around 14 and 15. I was really hard to keep track of the proper line there...basically felt like there were 100 roadsigns telling you what to do so you just get confused with overstimulation.
Other organizations don't have those cones up. They let you run all the way out onto the lego curbing. Same with turn 12. That's one thing I noticed when I rode with instructors in other organizations. They would go all the way out onto the curbing and use 100% of the "track." Makes the front and back straights much faster.

That being said I'd still stick with HOD until you feel your are comfortable on track and out of the novice category. HOD by far has the best instructors and safety record! I've done two events with HOD and the only incident I've seen is someone putting two wheels off. Other organizations (or at least the ones I've been to) average 2 spins a session.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
JediMindGamez said:
That being said I'd still stick with HOD until you feel your are comfortable on track and out of the novice category. HOD by far has the best instructors and safety record! I've done two events with HOD and the only incident I've seen is someone putting two wheels off. Other organizations (or at least the ones I've been to) average 2 spins a session.
That's the feeling I'm getting from other people as well. We had one spin off track in the middle of the day, but it was a non-issue (a Mini went farming :D). With my first 2 instructors I felt like I was well within the limits of the car, but was driving good lines and felt very in control (both were Spec Miata drivers). My last instructor was a bit more "seasoned" lets say...and it actually was really good for my confidence. He had me pushing the car far harder than I had all day, and it was doing it with ease. His method for corners was quite a bit different however, and I'm still going back and forth as to which I liked better.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts