The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are you guys at WOT through turn 5a?

I'm still relatively new to tracking and Thill, but usually i go thou in 2nd, at about 50% throttle, short shift to third at the end of 5a and go thou 6,7,8.

I'm still not comfortable going thou it at WOT and will probably just slowly increase it till I am but was just wondering if it was possible. Oh and i'm on base suspension with AD07s.

Thanks

·
Registered
494 Posts
You're talking about the bypass sequence, right? Not the original (top of the hill) turn 5?

Coming down off the top of the hill is deceptive because you can get down a lot of power as it flattens out, and turn 6 is quick but you MUST apex is properly; otherwise you'll catch that little "point" in the kerbing and get knocked offline.

Steve

·
Registered
652 Posts
You are talking about Turns 5/5a over the hill and not bypass?
If so, yes. I stay in 3rd and after I get back on throttle at the top of the hill I do not lift till the entry to T6. I am not sure there is any benefit from going to 2nd since you are going downhill anyways and you quickly pick up speed.
T6 is very quick and, as SteveLevin said, avoid the "point" in the kerbing. I have hit it a couple of times and person behind me mentioned that the car bounced 1 foot sideways and in the air.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
I treat it like the corkscrew at Laguna Seca, which Thill likes to loosely refers it to. I also stay in 3rd gear. Like Laguna as you drop down the suspension, heavily compress (lots of grip) and like CountTracula, am at full throttle leading up to T6.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
5a - I enter the turn with little throttle then wot all the way down the hill.
One problem I had was hitting the same exit angle out of the turn at the crest of the hill. Used to be inconsistent and didn't want to power down and, when the road finally came into view, go off.
So now as I hit the top of the hill while turning I attempt to sight the distant water tank and set my aim based on it. That lets me know I'm pointing in the correct direction and can go WOT with confidence just prior to actually seeing the road beyond the top of the hill.

-dom

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea, I'm talking about over the hill, the "cork screw".

Hmm I'm going back to Thill on friday and I'll try going thou it in 3rd and see how that feels. I don't lift going down it (except to shift), but I'm just not at full throttle until I'm near turn 6. I'm more curious as to how soon are you guys at full throttle after turn 5.

Oh and doma isn't the water tower the visual point of reference for turn 9? For turn 5 its the shed. Plus for turn 9 don't you want to want to apex it and then come out and run parallel with the left side of the road so another car won't be able to take the outside and have the ideal line going into turn 10. I knoe HOD's company line is to use the water tower but isn't the actual racing line is to protect the outside.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
For what its worth, on my 600cc sport bike, I take the top of turn 5 in 3rd gear (I go 110 in 3rd gear) and full throttle down the hill. I have tried second gear, but it seems to work better for me in third.

For turn 9, looking at the water tower is fine, but the key is not to "finish" the turn. This will keep you more on the right, which is ideal for going down the straight and heading into turn 10.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I don't lift going down it (except to shift), but I'm just not at full throttle until I'm near turn 6. I'm more curious as to how soon are you guys at full throttle after turn 5.
I think what we all meant was that we go full throttle from the exit of T5 till the entry of T6 where you can either lift or tap the brake. Apex speed is, if I remember, about 72-73mph (real speed according to DL1 data logger, not the speedo readout) and your rpms around 8k at the end of the exit berm.

on 6, do you apex right immediately before the kink in the berm?
The kink in the berm is my apex but I do not go over it. Just to the right of it.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I think a common goals for T8 are:
(1) gradually increase comfort at increased speed
(2) lift to scrub speed instead of braking.

T8 being a high speed turn is pretty tricky but my approach to increasing speed has been to do a full lift way early (just after exit of T7), coast to decrease speed and then get back to full throttle as I am turning in for T8. Then, move the full lift point later and later. Eventually, one would like to do a quick lift to turn in and/or scrub a couple of mph and get back on throttle. I did take that turn flat one time and I barely made it (had a little wiggle too) so now I just lift quickly and get back to full throttle way before apex as you want the weight to be fully transferred to the rear and have the rear stable at the point of highest g-loads.
I have not doubts that it could be taken flat but in my case I think I would gain more time by fixing T1 than T8.

·
Registered
494 Posts
It's not just the kink itself in the berm, but there's a slight depression just before it (which is why you get a monster puddle there when it rains). That combination can result in a pretty exciting ride if you are on the limit.

Coming down the hill from turn 5 you ideally want to be right on the right edge of the track. If you are really good and on the limit, you can actually hook your right side tires just over the edge of the pavement and get a bit more grip. (done wrong, though, it will result in sadness and a general "why are all these cars rushing at me" statement)

BTW, as a general note, make sure you take a look at the track before getting on the limit. With the upcoming re-paving, there has been some prep done already. The kerb on the outside of Turn 4 is already gone. I don't know how much more may change given that there is an SCCA event in two weeks, but anything is possible.

Steve

·
Registered
494 Posts
I know that the entire track will be repaved. I haven't heard anything about any changes as far as kerbs go, so my expectation is that everything will be back in place after the track reopens in mid-August. But it will certainly be a whole new ballgame! I'm going to try and get in a test day before the fall SCCA race, though, to get an idea of the new pavement.

Steve

1 - 14 of 14 Posts