The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received my Certificate of Provenance today! I'm going to share a little of it.

Original body paint is B119 racing green metallic with magnolia leather trim. Hard top, sport pack and touring pack, and a star shield.

My car left the production line on 30 January 2006 from Hethel. For 2006's, 3022 cars went out world wide. 1079 made it to the US and my car was the 925th. It was 22nd out of 25 cars with racing green metallic, last of three with magnolia leather and the only one with the same color-trim-options.

Lotus of Denver in Highlands Ranch was the 1st dealer and the first owner was from Morrison Colorado.

After lots of $$$ spent on stuff, 7000 miles driven in 6 months, and a 540 spin out I must day I'm happy with the car. Still more to do yet but that will wait until next year. I'm not looking forward to storage but I'm sorta worried I'm putting too many miles on so maybe it will be good to rest the car 4-5 months.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
153 Posts
So now we have it from the manufacturer- 1079 '06's in the US.

Previous guess was 1266, which came from registration numbers (must count some 05/07 cars in jan/december)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Madison-

does your VIN end in 0925 ?

I'm trying to determine weather or not the VIN's were sequential for 06 in US or worldwide. Your report states your car was the 925th US car for 06, so does your VIN match that?

I have VIN #0005.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
I asked Mr. Grahm at Lotus about their numbering sequence in an email - he replied this way -

"The serial number 0134 simply indicates it is the 0134th ‘05MY Lotus model worldwide. All markets and all models now share the same serial number sequence.
Regards,

Andy Graham – Technical Publications and Archives
LOTUS AFTERSALES, Units 6 & 7 John Hyrne Way, Longwater Business Park, Costessey, Norwich, Norfolk NR5 0AF England.

T +44 (0)1603 732178 [email protected]"

To me this means the VINs are not USA specific - it's EVERYHTING. And if Schumi's '06 is VIN 0005, clearly they reset the "count" each model year. So Schumi has the 5th '06 car produced world wide, and I have the 134th S2 Elise ever produced. Worldwide.

Whoopps !!! I just realized what he was saying is that Schumi has the 5th Lotus of any type or model, produced worldwide in '06 . The numbering system is not Elise specific! They now mix them all - ie. an Evora comes off the line in one building, call it #34, an Elise rolls out in another line - that one is VIN #35. I should read my mail more carefully. It definitely explains how the vin's go so high for the Federals when there were only 6500+/- made for the US.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I'm trying to get information on #0002 and he is telling me Lotus America doesn't have much on it.

Schumi,

What's your build date? I have April 2005.
The build date is located on the info sticker on the driver's side sill, right? I haven't checked it. I'll do so when I get home tonight.

·
Registered
153 Posts
OK- just found it-

August 2005.

That is very interesting. If Hank has #0002 built in April, and mine is #0005 built in August- what the hell was Lotus doing in the 3 months between? #0004 must have been a bitch :)

Actually, I have seen VIN's built out of order before- usually has to do with paint options/other options and their availability. For instance- (at another OEM, not Lotus) they will run all the red cars through in a certain VIN range, then all the black cars etc, and if production is slow they get delivered to the customers out of order.

My car is Chili Red, which was a new color in 2006, and thus maybe delayed 0005's build a few months.

·
Registered
63 Posts
OK- just found it-

August 2005.

That is very interesting. If Hank has #0002 built in April, and mine is #0005 built in August- what the hell was Lotus doing in the 3 months between? #0004 must have been a bitch :)

Actually, I have seen VIN's built out of order before- usually has to do with paint options/other options and their availability. For instance- (at another OEM, not Lotus) they will run all the red cars through in a certain VIN range, then all the black cars etc, and if production is slow they get delivered to the customers out of order.

My car is Chili Red, which was a new color in 2006, and thus maybe delayed 0005's build a few months.

If I didn't read the post below yours this would seem normal. Build a couple to get the build process for the new models and fix any issues before they start the full run.

Do you have an 06 bmw330ciandr6? What's your serial number? 0001???

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
OK- just found it-

August 2005.

The Vin's are not specific for Elises. They are for every model made. Worldwide. THat missing #0004 might have been a euro released Exige. No way of telling according to Lotus unless you ask Lotus. Then they will tell you.

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
I just ordered mine I am interested in knowing how many Polar Blue 06 Elises there is out there. 1079 Cars for the US market is not many at all!

·
Registered
33 Posts
It sounds like the build and VIN sequence for MY06 cars started before the build and sequence for MY05 cars was finished (they were coming down the assembly line concurrently).

I did some quick research on the internetz and found this on Wikipedia in the article 'Model year' (and yeah, I know to take internet-info with a huge block of salt):
"An automotive model year is categorically defined by the 10th digit of the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN), and simply indicates any manufacturer-specified evolution in mid-cycle of a model range - such as revised paint options, trim options or any other minor specification change."
(There was also some information in the article about how the association of model year and 3Q was much more prevalent in the US due to TV seasons and advertising.)

I'm not an expert on these things, but this is what I interpret that to mean: model year is not necessarily coincident with an actual date, and the difference between MY05 and MY06 was defined by such things as LED tail lamps, different color choices, etc. and not a specific build date. I don't know how this would apply to differences between MY06 and MY07, for example, where there were no such obvious build changes; I'd guess a changeover between those years would probably have more to do with internal recordkeeping.

FWIW, I have a MY05 built in July 2005 (according to the sill sticker), with last 4 of VIN 4878.

Hopefully this makes as much sense in writing as it did in my head.
-lint.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I gave my son a dollar and he told me my car was red, really cool, and he likes to ride in it. I Guess I saved $50 finding out the pertinent info on my car... :D

·
Such Administrating
6,798 Posts
FWIW, I have a MY05 built in July 2005 (according to the sill sticker), with last 4 of VIN 4878.

Hopefully this makes as much sense in writing as it did in my head.
-lint.
damn, they made some really late 05's then. Guess mine was midstream. I'll have to order the certificate...I think it would be cool framed with the original window sticker :D

1 - 20 of 39 Posts