The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 40 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Also Detroit Iron only red line at 4,500-RPM (but only runs at 2,500-RPM 98.97% of the time) and ours run at 8,500-RPM all day at the track...that will significantly shorten the life of the snout bearings.
You realize that the blower's RPM is different than the engine's RPM, yes? And the "gear" ratio between them is determined by the displacement and intended RPM range of the engine it's being mated to. So it's likely that for a properly sized application the MP62 is running about the same maximum RPM regardless of the engine's maximum RPM.

OTOH, I agree that track cars will force the blower to run near its maximum RPM nearly constantly... the bearings on my 2-Eleven's blower were shot after 6000 track miles.

·
shay2nak
25,083 Posts
OTOH, I agree that track cars will force the blower to run near its maximum RPM nearly constantly... the bearings on my 2-Eleven's blower were shot after 6000 track miles.
Did VSA replace those?

·
Banned
3,229 Posts
You realize that the blower's RPM is different than the engine's RPM, yes? And the "gear" ratio between them is determined by the displacement and intended RPM range of the engine it's being mated to. So it's likely that for a properly sized application the MP62 is running about the same maximum RPM regardless of the engine's maximum RPM.

Yes...based on the compressor map of the SC. To make your statements, you have to assume that Detroit chose to operate the SC in the same place that Lotus did on the compressor map... Not knowing for sure, I bet not.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
From Eaton:
Q: How often do I need to change the oil in my supercharger?
A: The sealed oil reservoir in a supercharger is designed to last the life of the vehicle. Changing the oil is not recommended unless you suspect contamination, leakage, or other issues like bearing failure. Also, if your vehicle has an abnormally heavy duty cycle, such as racing or towing, you could consider changing the oil at regular intervals such as 20k, 30k, 50k, or 100k miles depending on usage.

Q: I’ve decided I need to change the oil in my supercharger. How do I do this?
A: If you do want to change the oil there is one fill/drain plug on the front face of the front cover. It will probably be an Allen type plug. You will have to suction out the oil using a syringe or other method before replacing with new oil. Fill levels are dependent on application. For aftermarket units, please consult the aftermarket partner company that produced that specific kit. For OEM units, please see the list below or email [email protected]. New oil can be obtained from any GM or Ford service parts facility, or from one of the Eaton aftermarket supercharger partner companies or remanufacturers. Please make sure you do NOT use any other type of oil, including synthetic motor oils. These will cause failure.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Since our supercharger is considered aftermarket I will have to contact Magnuson directly to find out the exact amount of oil required. However, you could just average the three listed OEM MP62s and put in around 108 ml.

Concerning changing the oil on the Exige S MP62, the supercharger is readily accessible directly under the intake manifold. I would probably remove the IC (if still equipped) and associated plumbing to get easier access. Then I would suck out the oil with a small hand pump from Napa/Autozone and renew the oil with the GM/Ford stuff. In a few thousand miles when I change mine I will be sure to create a full DIY.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
From Eaton:
Q: How often do I need to change the oil in my supercharger?
A: The sealed oil reservoir in a supercharger is designed to last the life of the vehicle. Changing the oil is not recommended unless you suspect contamination, leakage, or other issues like bearing failure. Also, if your vehicle has an abnormally heavy duty cycle, such as racing or towing, you could consider changing the oil at regular intervals such as 20k, 30k, 50k, or 100k miles depending on usage.

Q: I’ve decided I need to change the oil in my supercharger. How do I do this?
A: If you do want to change the oil there is one fill/drain plug on the front face of the front cover. It will probably be an Allen type plug. You will have to suction out the oil using a syringe or other method before replacing with new oil. Fill levels are dependent on application. For aftermarket units, please consult the aftermarket partner company that produced that specific kit. For OEM units, please see the list below or email [email protected]. New oil can be obtained from any GM or Ford service parts facility, or from one of the Eaton aftermarket supercharger partner companies or remanufacturers. Please make sure you do NOT use any other type of oil, including synthetic motor oils. These will cause failure.

Since our supercharger is considered aftermarket I will have to contact Magnuson directly to find out the exact amount of oil required. However, you could just average the three listed OEM MP62s and put in around 108 ml.

Concerning changing the oil on the Exige S MP62, the supercharger is readily accessible directly under the intake manifold. I would probably remove the IC (if still equipped) and associated plumbing to get easier access. Then I would suck out the oil with a small hand pump from Napa/Autozone and renew the oil with the GM/Ford stuff. In a few thousand miles when I change mine I will be sure to create a full DIY.

Freaking awesome!

·
shay2nak
25,083 Posts
Thanks DrFatz.

I just had everything off the car a few weeks back. Wondering if I can see or reach it with the IC heatshield on....

·
Registered
41 Posts
Mine Elise SC (2011) has a little splash of black oil on my orange rear bonnet after a few thousand miles of driving and I just wipe it of from time to time, it located directly above the supercharge's pulley, I couldn't find the source of the oil. I thought it was excess oil from the exhaust. But fter reading this, now I have to really check

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Mine Elise SC (2011) has a little splash of black oil on my orange rear bonnet after a few thousand miles of driving and I just wipe it of from time to time, it located directly above the supercharge's pulley, I couldn't find the source of the oil. I thought it was excess oil from the exhaust. But fter reading this, now I have to really check
Check it and at the least put in new oil before she wears out.

·
Registered
214 Posts
this is great information... i was recently looking at the service interval of the MP62 oil and i also found some conflicting information.

from what i gathered, the above posted pictures are correct - i remember seeing multiple people in the forum posting that multiple bottles of fluid was needed, but my findings were that only a few oz (as noted above) needed to be replaced.

i have an 06 with a smaller pulley and i wanted to at least check on the interval. If memory serves me correct, i beleive the BWR supercharger information i received stated a 7,000 mile service interval. i will have to check on that.

good work on the findings so far, i would love to see a DIY writeup when you do your service!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Is there a path here to getting a factory Elise SC setup for much less $$$ on an 06? Can one get the upgrade parts minus the supercharger from Lotus, get the supercharger directly from Magnuson and get it installed for lots less than $6,500?

Jason

I would also like to know the answer to this question.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I found this tiny amount of oil when I removed the snout a few years ago. No symptoms and not worn yet. It took 1 bottle of GM supercharger oil to refill. A mystery where the oil went!

Attachments

·
Registered
214 Posts
as a follow up to this conversation, i actually emailed BWR about this a few months back....BWR has the fluid listed on their website for $22...seams reasonable.

here is the conversation:

"Hi Casey,

We do have the approved Synthetic Supercharger Fluid. Basically there is a drain port at the bottom and a fill port on top near where the nose connects to the rotating group. You want it to fill about 1/2 of the cavity.

Synthetic Supercharger Fluid

Best,

Fred

On Tue, May 7, 2013 at 7:40 AM, Casey wrote:
Hi Fred – a couple quick questions

I believe the manual that have for the V2 supercharger kit states oil replacement at 7,000 miles. I believe I am almost there. Do you carry the oil/parts needed for this process, and do you have any insight on the process?

Thanks

Casey

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
7k miles? Sheesh seems awfully frequent. I need to do this ASAP when I have some time. This post got me all paranoid. Does anyone have a diagram where they can point out the drain and fill plug? I'm running the BWR250.

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
removing the old oil, and pictures please

Is it possible to suck out all the old oil with a pump and tube (i.e. is the bottom of the chamber "simple/smooth" or are there recesses)?

Mine leaks a bit of oil when I track it so I'd like to get it *all* out and put in the right amount (the folks at Magnuson told me 146ml is the amount).

Does anyone have more pictures of a dismantled MP62 to help me visualize?

Thanks!

·
Registered
214 Posts
bump for this thread... it seems there are varied verdicts on the amount of oil that needs to be replaced.... 100ml, 146 ml, "half the cavity", etc.

now that the car is stored for winter i would love to tinker over the next few weeks and knock this out... am i missing any other threads giving conclusive information on the process and amount of oil needed?

·
Banned
3,229 Posts
bump for this thread... it seems there are varied verdicts on the amount of oil that needs to be replaced.... 100ml, 146 ml, "half the cavity", etc.

now that the car is stored for winter i would love to tinker over the next few weeks and knock this out... am i missing any other threads giving conclusive information on the process and amount of oil needed?
What was wrong with the answer given my the manufacturer of the supercharger (Eaton) in post #28? Referring to that post, the M62 uses anywhere from 100-ml to 115-ml...that is a variation of only one teaspoon, not even a tablespoon, of oil!

21 - 40 of 85 Posts