The Lotus Cars Community banner

41 - 60 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
07 Exige S
1,645 Posts
Jeff_R1

What is the c-clip your talking about ? Is it specialty or something I can get anywhere ?
I am trying to get everything I need in advance. I am down needing that c-clip and the choice in bearings.

You said that the bearings needed were "6303 and a 6204 bearing"

Does anyone know what the correct or corresponding ceramic bearing numbers would be ? Is there really any advantages to using ceramic bearings ? Reading the rebuild site they certainly tout the advantages... "40% less friction and the balls are 60% lighter"

·
Registered
268 Posts
There is a little clip that goes on top of the oil shaft seal. It should come with the seal or you may be able to reuse your old one but i had to bend mine pretty badly to get it out.

With those bearings the numbers are a size so you should just be able to find a ceramic bearing in that size. I didn't really consider them as I have had problems with ceramic bottom bracket bearings on my bikes in the past and for the cost I couldn't justify it. They probably are not really related as the bike is covered in dirt most of the time and that more than likely caused the failure.

Jeff

·
Banned
3,229 Posts
Jeff_R1

What is the c-clip your talking about ? Is it specialty or something I can get anywhere ?
I am trying to get everything I need in advance. I am down needing that c-clip and the choice in bearings.

You said that the bearings needed were "6303 and a 6204 bearing"

Does anyone know what the correct or corresponding ceramic bearing numbers would be ? Is there really any advantages to using ceramic bearings ? Reading the rebuild site they certainly tout the advantages... "40% less friction and the balls are 60% lighter"
It sounds like you are describing a hybrid bearing. You can get a complete ceramic bearing also. I was going to do that...but have not gotten around to that yet... And they use the same numbers.

·
Registered
268 Posts

·
Registered
07 Exige S
1,645 Posts
Good quality control Man !

Yeah,

I am just hoping someone can give me feedback if that is the way to go or if there is a preferred supplier I should go with ?

Looks like Ceramic is totally legit if they are being used in turbos...

Lighter
Stronger
Less Friction

Well damn sign me up. I am just waiting for some sage wisdom from someone saying don't do it ! heh

Like I said I am doing research on the fly. I never thought I would be having to decide the merits of one bearing over another for a supercharger application !:coolnana:

Why did you not go with Ceramic bearings Jeff_R1 ?

·
Registered
07 Exige S
1,645 Posts
Damnation ! If price is any indicator...Those are trick ! I bought them. Which brings me to my last question.

The Needle bearings.

If I am going to replace everything else what about those ? Do they go bad ? or is there any real advantage to swapping out ? I have the impression that the level of technical knowledge and tool issues goes up quite a bit if I choose to replace those ?

·
Banned
3,229 Posts
Those were the bearings I was going to buy...but I really don't have any experience with ceramic bearings. I would buy sealed bearings because they do not need any lubrication...at least that's what the literature says. Now, if you replace the nose seal also, you will have three seals before the nose will leak! A good thing, I would say...

The gears in the nose still need lubrication, so you would still put in the correct amount...about 4-oz.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I was considering Hybrid bearings at first but just went sealed steal bearings thinking I will upgrade to a tvs later down the line. That and my issues with ceramics on my mountain bike. They really have nothing in common with the use case in the supercharger but it just sat in the back of my mind so I just stuck with higher quality sealed bearings.

Jeff

·
Registered
07 Exige S
1,645 Posts
Hold my beer...

I don't think I am going to mess with the needle bearings, just going to grease them up.

I honestly don't expect any increased or enhanced boost, but hopefully it will quiet down a little and I won't have to take my SC off again in the intermediate future.

It sounds like the start of a joke : What happens when you overdrive a supercharged Lotus ?

I am working on the punchline ? : Your in the garage a lot cursing watching money burst into flames

dunno need to work on that one. heh. Thanks again all. peacb

·
Registered
542 Posts
Can someone please take a picture of where the fill hole is? I assume it's the one you remove with a hex key? Going to try and do this without removing the intercooler and using a syphon ... Thanks.

Cheers,
Zoomby_U

·
Banned
3,229 Posts
Hold my beer...

I don't think I am going to mess with the needle bearings, just going to grease them up.

I honestly don't expect any increased or enhanced boost, but hopefully it will quiet down a little and I won't have to take my SC off again in the intermediate future.

It sounds like the start of a joke : What happens when you overdrive a supercharged Lotus ?

I am working on the punchline ? : Your in the garage a lot cursing watching money burst into flames

dunno need to work on that one. heh. Thanks again all. peacb
So you didn't go the ceramic bearing rout? Are you at least up and running?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Be cautious of going the ceramic bearing route. Ceramic bearing's do not wear out not like steel bearings, their failures are commonly catastrophic. Your supercharger will probably not be rebuildable afterwards.

John

·
Banned
3,229 Posts
Be cautious of going the ceramic bearing route. Ceramic bearing's do not wear out not like steel bearings, their failures are commonly catastrophic. Your supercharger will probably not be rebuildable afterwards.

John
hybrid or complete ceramic bearings? What is their cause of failure? What is their failure rate in comparison to steel ball bearings? Is their load rating higher or lower than their steel counterparts? A little more information please...

·
Registered
60 Posts
No hard data. My brother owns a bicycle shop. They are commonly used in this application. He said they seem to last almost twice as long but then failed without warning. It seemed the failure was a ball chip/fracture which cascaded. Now, he only recommends to his most competitive riders. They replace them frequently. This could be a problem of dirt/debris. A net search may yield info on applications with more direct comparison.

·
Registered
07 Exige S
1,645 Posts
I got the rear clam off ( For the 1st Fn time !:clap: and I am moving along with removal of the SC.

My jaw dropped when the clam just came right off. It changed how I think about this car now. I can do anything. It was funny when I just could not deny the realism of the futility of trying to do all this with the clam on. It's just not that hard to get that thing off after all !:up:

I did get the full ceramic bearings and I am gonna just "roll" with them :eek:

·
Banned
3,229 Posts
I got the rear clam off ( For the 1st Fn time !:clap: and I am moving along with removal of the SC.

My jaw dropped when the clam just came right off. It changed how I think about this car now. I can do anything. It was funny when I just could not deny the realism of the futility of trying to do all this with the clam on. It's just not that hard to get that thing off after all !:up:

I did get the full ceramic bearings and I am gonna just "roll" with them :eek:
Post photos and details...I'm very interested in going the ceramic rout too!

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Do you guys know where they sell a complete rebuild kit for this so that you don't have to source them individually?

41 - 60 of 85 Posts