Well I orderd a whole bunch of fun stuff last week and setup with my buddy Tom (new Exige coming next week, congrats Tom!) to take a Friday off of work and outfit the Elise with the goods.
We both spent quite a bit of time researching the install procedure's and DIY's for the parts, but as it went on it was obvious that there were things left to be desired so we took some pics and I'll leave this as a reference for other people doing the same installs. So enjoy!
1. Ipod Mod:
This went pretty smoothly and you definitely do not have to drill any holes, just run the wire out of the a/c surround grommet in the dash. Works perfect and looks super clean.
2. JL 5 1/4 speakers and Clayton Speaker Rings:
This is absolutely an awesome upgrade, but a few things to keep in mind when doing the fronts and installing the speaker rings. Most of the DIY's say to use a little jiggsaw blade, this is useful towards the end for tidying up pieces, but your best bet is a small assortment of chisels. These work EXCELLENT for taking down the foam to get the speakers to fit.
3. Kemmler Seat Mod:
The first step requiring the removal of the seat rivets, we found the best tool is actually a 5 or 6mm allen socket on an extension just pushing it through.
The order quantities are right, but you don't have to necessarily take the time to cut a bunch of little pieces and pile them together. The cleanest way I found is to actually just use one large piece (I used 3/8) to cover the entire middle section of the seat. I needed some extra tailbone support, so that's where I used some of the 1/8 material layered up underneath the 3/8. Also the contact tape is KEY here. This works extremely well for any layering of the pieces, and also securing the foam to the seatback. I really only used the contact cement when I flipped the bladder, so gluing that back down and also gluing the OEM seat cover onto the foam.
FLIP THE BLADDER, it's 1000x better. Just rip it up slowly, literally flop it over, twist the tube to accomodate and then use the cement to glue it back down.
Some pics of my process:
4.Larini SE and Euro Grill
This didn't come with any instructions which kind of stunk, but it's a pretty intuitive overall. The only things I didn't expect coming were the use of a rivet gun for the euro grill. So have your rivet gun ready! Also, in order to get the Larini to fit right you do have to cut out most of your heat shield, one thing that helped with the left/right orientation is peeling back the shield by the cat. Also even though it was pointless, we sprayed the remaining heatshield matte black. Another thing is that to get the grill to fit somewhat properly on the drivers side and not stick out, it does some good to dremel down the edge/back on the reflector. We cleaned it up after the pic below, but it shows the idea.
5. Fujita Intake
The instructions were pretty decent, at least gave us the right direction here, I'm going to fiddle with it a bit, but somebody has got to figure out exactly what the right distance is to attach the cone. The hardest part is really just unclipping the MAF, we actually had one person hold it up top and the other reach from the bottom to pull it down. Probably unnecessary, but it just worked out that way.
+1 on people who mentioned covering it with a plastic bag during washing, I did that today, brilliant.
We spent a good 15hrs on and off with trips to the hardware and auto store to do everything, but it was all well worth it. Until I threw a CEL on the way home at 4am. rotfl
Today moved on to some detailing with the PC and Menzerna as well as checking out the new digs on the car. Overall it was worth barely sleeping. The sound of the Larini and the Fujita is simply insane.