The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like I'm going to have an extra day on my hands next month after going to Skip Barber's 3 day racing school. Are there any "must sees" you guys could suggest while I'm there? Any just plain cool places? Anything that'll just plain keep me out of the hotel? :p

Thanks in advanced,
~Jeremy

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
It looks like I'm going to have an extra day on my hands next month after going to Skip Barber's 3 day racing school. Are there any "must sees" you guys could suggest while I'm there? Any just plain cool places? Anything that'll just plain keep me out of the hotel? :p

Thanks in advanced,
~Jeremy
The Monterey Aquarium, the 17 Mile Scenic Drive, walk through Carmel to the beach...

EDIT: I took the three day school there back in '97... awesome!

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Lots of great resturants dotted down around the Aquarium area as well. They are probably not finished with all of the construction, so Cannery Row is more than likely still a mess. Walk from the Aquarium down past (through) the construction area and the rest of Cannery Row is open. Lots of cool shops with interesting things to buy.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
hearstcastle.org

take one of the tours

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Take a drive. Start with the 17mile drive in Monterey. Drive to Carmel next door. Great village to walk around in. Drive down Highway 1 through Big Sur. Have lunch at Rocky Point or Nepenthe. Nice hikes in Big Sur. If you have time, keep driving down to Hearst Castle and take the general tour.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Best restaurant is "Fresh Cream" This place is awesome.
Best bang for the buck "The Fish Wife"

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
What about the race track, Laguna Seca yes? Not far away. [Edit: nevermind, just read your post. LOL ]

·
Registered
357 Posts
Big Sur is beautiful. I just ran the Big Sur marathon, but its a nicer drive. If you're with a "special friend", stay a night at the Post Ranch Inn. I like the lunch at Nepenthe as well. Carmel is quaint. 17 mile drive is OK, but you can drive the rest of highway one for free. I did the three day school at Laguna Seca with my wife and brother a few years ago. I think it is more fun than informative, but thats a great track. With one day to explore I would get out of monterey and see carmel or big sur, can't really go wrong however since its a really beautiful part of the country.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
The Monterey Aquarium, the 17 Mile Scenic Drive, walk through Carmel to the beach...
Just did these 3 things 3 days ago :). The aquarium is alright but I wasn't really blown away by it, then again I was just there 4-5 years ago and marine life isn't my thing

·
Registered
31 Posts
Monterey Bay Aquarium for the win.

When I was living in San Francisco, my lady friend and I had season passes. Possibly the best aquarium in the U.S.

The driving down there is awesome as well.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So far it looks like I'm definitely going to check out the aquarium. I'm not sure how the car situation is going to work out. I might just be taking cabs everywhere, but if I end up renting a car, that 17 mile drive sounds like fun.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
So far it looks like I'm definitely going to check out the aquarium. I'm not sure how the car situation is going to work out. I might just be taking cabs everywhere, but if I end up renting a car, that 17 mile drive sounds like fun.
17 mile drive is super--especially in the late afternoon wilth the setting sun casting long shadows. It is a toll road, however, so be prepared with some $$.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Reservations are recommended!! Don't count on just walking in.
+1. Good point. I blew off going here for most of my life and finally went a few years ago. I was surprised at how cool this place was. It only takes a couple hours to tour and is well worth it.

I highly recommend you rent the car and drive down Highway 1. I think it's a crime to be in Monterey and not do Big Sur.:panic:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Day before I leave and I finally realized I might want to ask you guys something kinda weird. I was packing and normally just take jeans wherever I go. At the same time I was on the phone with one of my friends who lives in Cali and she said that it's been way too hot for jeans.

This led me to wonder something though. What am I allowed to wear to Skip Barber? I know at the NASA event I went to, you couldn't drive in shorts. But we're going to be wearing driving suits. What do I wear under said driving suit?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts