The Lotus Cars Community banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Yeah, you can, but if the speakers that you are putting in (Polk db521's in my case) are big enough to require much trimming of the speaker holes it is a whole lot easier and cleaner to do it with the dash out. The 5.25" Alpines that were the stock rears in my car dropped right in, but the frame on the Polks extends out all the way to the mounting edge. Either way, it's easier with the dash already out, which his is.
I put in the same Polks. I did that, and I have had the dash out 3 times now. If I were to do the speakers again, I'd leave the dash in.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Chuck Risen helped me install a 12 volt digital gauge to the switched circuit. It is only 1/2 inch by 1 inch and installed in the top of the key pocket to left of steering wheel. Cost $50 online and finally know where my charge is with no effort. Easy useful mod, and looks fine.

We also went crazy and installed a hundred other gizmos (zeitronix, dashdaq, sensor alarm module, automotive gauges, amp, satellite radio for different head unit) all of which required access to under the dash. Wish I put in the HD Radio too while we were at it.

Hopefully will add pictures very soon, took them, just need some time to post them.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Remove the part of the passenger's airbag clips that stay in the dash. If you wait until you put the dash back on they'll fall into the dash.

Dan and I just had my dash out this past weekend to install larger speakers using Jim Clayton's adapter rings. Made a big difference.
Life saver right there. I just went and did this.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Tap into the 12v line to hardware your radar detector, navigation, or add some cigarette lighter adapters.
+1

There is a "junction box" under the dash cover that serves as the main power distribution point for the front of the car. It's a black plastic box - open it up, and there is a bolt there connected to the battery cable that runs to the rear of the car, and all the rest of the power connections to the front of the car. I'd add an extra wire (heavy guage) to that post, and run it to where it could be accessable for future projects (i.e. a 25 amp circuit for air horns, etc.). Maybe run it to a small fuse block that you mount under the dash 9then you can power radar detectors, amps, whatever).

·
Super Moderator
2,845 Posts
What's CDL module? That'd be "center diff lock" on my g-wagen.... probably not what we're talking about here... ;)
CDL = Central Door Locking module. It is located to the far left of the dash about directly below the VIN plate and under a bunch of foam and the driver's side vent tube. It is in a really stupid location if you need to remove/replace it..........

·
Registered
682 Posts
fit as many packets of microwave popcorn in the car as possible.

If you catch fire before you crash, you'll have some extra padding, extra thermal insulation, and tasty food to snack on while they cut you out of the car.

Butter is probably a bad idea.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
fit as many packets of microwave popcorn in the car as possible.

If you catch fire before you crash, you'll have some extra padding, extra thermal insulation, and tasty food to snack on while they cut you out of the car.

Butter is probably a bad idea.
rotflrotfl

·
Registered
648 Posts
Sign it with a friendly message to the next monkey that dares to remove the dash. I do it everytime I poke at a car. The phone calls I have gotten due to this are so funny whenever I sell off a car.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.