The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally took a test drive at Fox Valley and thought the car was great, but it is just too much money for a toy right now, I would rather have an S2000 and a boat or save some $$$s at this point in my life. I haven't made the call yet so someone talk me out of it.

I have the following reasons I am going to bail

1) I live in the city and do not have a garage, I have tandem parking and if my neighbors scratched the car I would probably have to hurt them

2) I have only driven about 4,000 miles this year and don't really ever need a car, when I do need a car it is usually to haul stuff or go on a long trip (not the elise's strong points).

3) I spend hours on elisetalk thinking about the car

Basically, I figure I can get a used elise if/when I move to the burbs and need the car to spice up my life. Right now I live in a great place in the city and spend so much money on booze/social expenses that it is just too much excess for how much I would use the car.

FYI: I was going to order laser blue/black or BRP/biscuit, touring, hardtop,3m, I am in the 170s at fox valley, and in the 60s at Behlman...

Actually after writing this post I might as well wait a little longer (see how progress is in March, and how the Cali/FL drivers are holding up), maybe circumstances will change and the $$s are refundable so no biggie...this is the problem with waiting my mind changes all the time dohhhh!!

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
This is hilarious. :)

Point number 3 means you really should get the car. It's an emotional thing.

I would create a barrier of some sort. Maybe a cushion? Or padded car cover. Maybe even a normal car cover would save the car from most door paint dings.

I drive about 4000 miles a year too. But I have a second car that can haul crap around.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BTW, on my test drive I loved the exhaust note, didn't get to drive much but thanks to Tyler at Fox Valley!

Yeah a used Civic may be in my future, I will have the elise some day that is not really an issue, I guess I will wait and see how bonuses play out in the spring.

Elisetalk is ruining my life!!!!! J/K

PS- I also think my GF is jealous of the elise, or at least worried that it may attract too much attention!! On the test drive I broke about 10 people's necks.

I must say though that getting in with the top on looks like it may require some serious stretching/contortion beforehand.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
bboersma said:
Also, if I lived in Cali it would be a no brainer, but Chicago is not so kind to "sun toys".
SOunds like you might be looking at the wrong solution.

Correct solution-

Move to California and a place with a garage.

:)

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Randy Chase said:
SOunds like you might be looking at the wrong solution.

Correct solution-

Move to California and a place with a garage.

:)
A garage in California would probably cost more than a house in most parts of the country!

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
It's the guy that was posting the interesting pictures about the brakes, suspension, lift points, etc.
I remember the jack and the SLK32....

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It is an elisetalkers, I am not going to get up to the reserve but I drove a friends SLD32 AMG last weekend as well and was quite impressed. Of course if the price is right I could be swayed.

I almost moved to Santa Monica last year and may reconsider my options next spring. Of course if I have to buy a house in Cali I can not afford a nice car with the way housing prices are out there.

·
Registered
39 Posts
bboersma said:
Well I finally took a test drive at Fox Valley and thought the car was great, but it is just too much money for a toy right now, I would rather have an S2000 and a boat or save some $$$s at this point in my life. I haven't made the call yet so someone talk me out of it.

I have the following reasons I am going to bail

1) I live in the city and do not have a garage, I have tandem parking and if my neighbors scratched the car I would probably have to hurt them

2) I have only driven about 4,000 miles this year and don't really ever need a car, when I do need a car it is usually to haul stuff or go on a long trip (not the elise's strong points).

3) I spend hours on elisetalk thinking about the car

Basically, I figure I can get a used elise if/when I move to the burbs and need the car to spice up my life. Right now I live in a great place in the city and spend so much money on booze/social expenses that it is just too much excess for how much I would use the car.

FYI: I was going to order laser blue/black or BRP/biscuit, touring, hardtop,3m, I am in the 170s at fox valley, and in the 60s at Behlman...

Actually after writing this post I might as well wait a little longer (see how progress is in March, and how the Cali/FL drivers are holding up), maybe circumstances will change and the $$s are refundable so no biggie...this is the problem with waiting my mind changes all the time dohhhh!!

I have one, you will love it and if we had the weather you had i would always drive it... For now while the sun hides behinds the clouds i drive my 330d... I cant say enough how awesome the 111r is...

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Mark it really is a great car, love using it as my daily driver and fortunately winters in GA aren't so bad that it can't be a year round car!!
Chris

·
Registered
241 Posts
I disagree

The power comes on too harshly with the stupid automatic with kickdowns when you don't want them, etc.. The 6 sounds like crap. The handling is distant. The throttle pedal is taking a nap at launch. The brakes are touchy. Not only that, but it is still a chick car in my opinion.

Plus imagine the ownership cost???

Ara

PS. I know chick cars, I own a Miata!

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
yeah this waiting is something else, makes u think too much.
during my wait, i went and looked at a c6, very nice. a little further along on my wait the new zo6 will debut in jauary...
hmmmm.
anyway, if u do decide to bail out at fox valley, consider me...im like 206 at fox valley...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts