The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Left Joes Crab Shack last night after a birthday party and pulling out of the parking lot I could smell smoke. My first thought was Damn that car in front of me stinks. Pulled up to a stop sign and smoke comes rolling out from under the dash. Ahhh, I think it's me I am smelling. Lights started flickering, etc.. Tried to turn the lights off and they were stuck on. Killed the ignition rolled into a parking lot. By this time the entire cab was filled with plastic/rubber smelling smoke and I had the top off. Lights by this time had gone completely off. I am surprised it didn't blow a fuse by this time or did it. Started the car after about 20 min. and everything seemed fine except no lights except turn signals, no more smoke so it must have finally blown the fuse.
Anyway I got the wife to drive up so I could follow her home to get the car in the garage. Looks like I have a wiring job for the weekend.
:(
Brian

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good possibility on the mouse. I am hoping it's not "human Error". I installed a new amplified antennae a month ago and tapped into the radio hot wire. I don't see where that would have anything to do with the lights circuit though.

Great advice on the battery. That was the first thing done after I pulled into the garage.

Brian

·
Registered
821 Posts
Good luck. take pics. I know I'm curious.

Mice seem to have an affinity for Lotus cars. damn them.

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
Sorry to hear about your burning Lotus, but it reminds me of my old Europa when the wiring harness burned from the engine all the way through the car to the ignition switch. The tach even filled up with smoke as I was trying to shut off the car. Eventually the smoke cleared from the interior and since I couldn't shut off the engine, I just drove home and pulled the coil wire once I was back in my garage. Oh yeah, not one fuse burned during this entire episode!

Sounds to me like you just had Lucas "The prince of darkness" take over your British car, just like back in the old days. I hope this isn't a case of :tadts:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now I am stumped. Got home this afternoon and remove the entire dash and front access compartment covers. None of the fuses are blown. However while check I found that # 16 was overfused by 10 amp.
I can't smell the burning rubber under the front clam at all. On the other hand I also can't find any wires under the dash that are burned either.
So I hooked up the battery and tried to turn the lights on to see if I could get it to heat up or something so I could find the culprit. No lights at all.
Does anyone know if there is a fusable link or another fuse somewhere for the lights?

thanks,
Brian

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
Now I am stumped. Got home this afternoon and remove the entire dash and front access compartment covers. None of the fuses are blown. However while check I found that # 16 was overfused by 10 amp.
I can't smell the burning rubber under the front clam at all. On the other hand I also can't find any wires under the dash that are burned either.
So I hooked up the battery and tried to turn the lights on to see if I could get it to heat up or something so I could find the culprit. No lights at all.
Does anyone know if there is a fusable link or another fuse somewhere for the lights?

thanks,
Brian
Take a close look at your switch pack module and give it a good sniff to see if that is what burned. It is located right behind the gauge cluster and should be easy to access with the dash top off. This module controls your lights turning on and off, so perhaps it burned up for some reason?

BTW, the radio and switch pack module appear to be both run off the same fuse (15) so your radio wire tap might be the problem.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!
That is exactly what it is. I pulled the cover off and it's toast, crispy.
Now to contact my buddy Yoram and get a switch pack. And disconnect that damn antenae.
Well at least now I have a good reason to clean up under the dash and vents. May even spray a coat of clear on the underside of the dash to see if it helps with the out gassing.

Thanks again,
Brian

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
You might also look at doing the Day Time Running light mod (green wire mod)

My headlights use to burn out about every 3-4 months and would stick on or off occassionally. Ever since I disabled the DRL feature, my headlights have lasted a year and a half so far and I never have weird problems with lights anymore. I hardly ever drive at night anyways, so the pack gets very little usage anymore.

I dont think the SPM was built with the current draw of Daytime Running Lights in mind. Since DRL's were added on 06 a year after the car had been introduced.

·
Registered
398 Posts
West, how, pray tell, does one disable daytime running lights? It's a bitch because I have HID's, and unless you "warm up" the lights manually 10 seconds before you hit the start key, then one (or both) the lights will be off. And you have to shut off the engine to get them turned on again. :huh:

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
He provided a link to the thread....

·
Registered
580 Posts
Also, over amping by 10 shldnt be a problem, am I correct?
Depends on the circuit, the gauge of wire, how long the run is, and exactly what causes it to cook. I once had a wire run cook in another car because a previous owner was an idiot. About 15 feet of wire was completely melted, compromising a good half dozen wires around it in the harness, because it was grounded out due to an intercooler pipe rubbing through it.

When I traced through the system to see why the fuse hadn't blown, said previous idiot had replaced a 15 amp fuse with a 25 amp fuse, and that was enough to melt the wire (and "fix" the blowing fuse issue).

10 amps can certainly do it if the wire gauge is small enough and the run long enough.

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
10 amps can certainly do it if the wire gauge is small enough and the run long enough.
And almost every wire in this car is small. Changing fuses to a higher amperage is like playing Russian roulette. Sometimes you can get away with it, but when you can't, you can expect some serious damage to your wiring. :no:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts