The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my Evora had gotten progressively "older". Could not put my finger on it, so I was driving it less and less.

One of the thing I did not like was the "long" clutch engagement. It was hard to get a good release/acceleration.

Well, I changed the brake fluid, and "voila!", since the clutch and brake are sharing the same reservoir, I get a "new" clutch, as well as a restoration of the world class braking Evora had when it was new.

Now, the acceleration is "better", because the engagement of the clutch is so quick and pleasant. The car is like new again.

It is worth noting that LOA refused to change my brake fluid at 7k miles when I first noticed it, as it was "too early" for it. It was not. Change brake fluid every year, I am going to recommend. This car has been driving badly for at least the past year. So minimum every 2 years then. It is so cheap and provides so much benefit.

It is worth noting that each caliper has 2 bleed valves. Don't forget to bleed the inner valve as well.

Inspired by this, I also sprang for some new front tires (to get matching Michelin PSS on all 4 corners) and an alignment.

Guest what? Restoration of the Lotus "magic". I no longer have to steer the wheel consciously to take a corner, and I am no longer hitting those reflectors in the center of the road. Track is very, very true, like a Lotus.
I did take it to a good alignment shop that does Lotus, Lambo, etc.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
I would say you were a victim of the notorious boiling clutch fluid issue. A common issue, there is a Service Bulletin posted here on the forum.

·
Premium Member
8,388 Posts
Should have saved fluid and brought into dealer. That would probably humble the flakes.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
New clutch and brake fluid with really good (ate or castrol srf) makes a massive difference. That and trans fluid will be changed annually for me as a result.

·
Premium Member
2,638 Posts
Humble flakes are all that is left, after you have given someone a full serving of humble pie.

·
Premium Member
8,388 Posts
Notice no left coast responses because its a Zappa thing.:D

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
use ATE or something decent...its so cheap relatively speaking to the reward you get....

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Anyone seperate the reservoir before? It would be good practice to keep clutch dust out of the fluid.
We don't oil our clutch!:facepalm

The clutch hydraulic is a closed system, if dirt ever gets in its busted anyway! Also, all parts are external to the bell housing.

·
Premium Member
8,388 Posts
Anyone seperate the reservoir before? It would be good practice to keep clutch dust out of the fluid.
??? clutch dust in fluid??? New one on me. Its not an open system???:shrug:

·
Premium Member
8,388 Posts

·
Illegal Alien
5,357 Posts
Didn’t open this expecting some good humor for the morning, but got a bonus.. Flaky peeing problems sprinkled with clutch dust.

·
Premium Member
8,388 Posts
All covered with a little green rosetta

·
Registered
6 Posts
So my Evora had gotten progressively "older". Could not put my finger on it, so I was driving it less and less.

One of the thing I did not like was the "long" clutch engagement. It was hard to get a good release/acceleration.

Well, I changed the brake fluid, and "voila!", since the clutch and brake are sharing the same reservoir, I get a "new" clutch, as well as a restoration of the world class braking Evora had when it was new.

Now, the acceleration is "better", because the engagement of the clutch is so quick and pleasant. The car is like new again.
Hi

did this solve the clutch bite point being too low down on the pedal travel or too hight up? Mine is far too high up at the end of travel as you take your foot off the clutch but I think this is probably down to clutch wear but thought it worth checking.

cheers

Christian

1 - 20 of 40 Posts