The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Just registered here, though I've lurked a little while. Lurk on NSX Prime too, but I can't register there because of the email issue. Anyways, I'll be in the market in about a year for a new car, with a limit of about $45k. I've thought awhile about a few other cars too (Mondial, Vette, Cobra, P-cars), but it's boiled down for now to an Esprit, an Evora, or an NSX. I love the NSX reliability, but because I'll have almost two years of auto tech training/working by that time, it's not the huge of a deal. The Evora seems like a modern NSX to me with two small seats in the back, which is a plus. Though, a much nicer NSX can be bought for the money on a used Evora. Now the Esprit is a bit different, with a lot more power, which is nice, and I quite like the looks of it and the NSX.

Anybody have comments on the two cars, or things that might not come to mind for someone who has not had a chance to see each one in person (and examine, of course)?

Thanks,
Tedd

Also, I'm from the great state of Louisiana and pursuing auto design.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I was priviledged to test drive a new NSX at Texas World Speedway when it first came out. A well-balanced car that does not have more power than the suspension and average driver can handle. As an Elise owner, my advice is that if you want Honda reliability (i.e., the peace of mind of knowing that your car will start everytime) go with the NSX. On the other hand, as an ex-formula car racer, nothing but the Elise comes close to duplicating the feel of a race car, but with the drawbacks of quirks and unrelialibilty.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A Lotus is an amazing machine. Once you drive one you will have no desire for anything else.
It seems to me, though, that the NSX is like a Lotus but made by Honda. Of course, I've been told that there's no way to replicate the steering feel of Lotus cars, and I don't doubt that at all.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Esprit has more power vs evora and similar power to a evora s. evora I would think can be abused a lot more meaning 5th gear pulls all day long as well as time at a drag strip or roadcoarse w/o worrying about the Trans.

Never driven any of them..... Been on the track with esprit and nsx's..... nsx is a impressive car and the first and only Honda that I could live with in my garage. However I would choose something from lotus...... Exige/Elise, esprit or evora.

If I needed it as a daily driver with no other auto to drive I would go evora
If I had money for possible repairs in the bank and didn't drive a ton esprit
If I needed a track toy and sunny day driving exige/elise

·
Premium Member
483 Posts
I just spoke with an Acura salesperson and he told me the NSX was going to cost $125k ish.

So I don't know if price is a factor for you. I also heard from rumors that the car would cost only $40k ish...but seriously, the old NSX's cost around $100k, and the new and much improved hybrid versions will cost less? I know with new technological advancements that prices can go down, but that much down?

Still the Acura/Honda brand is quite reliable. If Acura ever came out with a modest income sport car, I would get rid of my RX8 in an instant and buy that one..until then, at least I will have a Lotus soon to play with.

Just my two small cents.

John

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
To the OP, if you're looking to buy in about a year, the used Evora prices MIGHT come down to your budget of 45K, but I don't think you can touch even a higher mileage 2010 for that kind of coin. 50-55K? Definitely, but not 45K.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I'd go with the Evora; especially if you want some sort of warranty. I wanted an NSX as well, but the cars I saw had been either beat to hell...or were in pristine condition and costing as much as a new Z06. My Evora is the first car I've ever owned that has a gauranteed parking spot in my garage. All other sports cars last a year or less. It's one of the best cars on the market.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts