The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have an 05 Elise and I'm looking to upgrade to something a little less savage. You know, something I can actually use the A/C in, and also not worry about overheating in standstill traffic, but still a Lotus.

What are some of the known issues, major fault points, and general knowledge I should take into account before making the jump to Evora?

I've found out about the joys and heartaches of owning a Lotus with my Elise but I'm now looking for something a bit more civilized, so sway me one way or the other.

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Registered
2021 Evora GT
2,469 Posts
Many changes/improvements added from 2012 on. 2010s and 11s mostly out of warranty now but cheaper. Clutch vs IPS, pull engine to replace clutch so consider this. IPS issues seem to be mostly worked out via software now. It likely will come down to how much you can spend and the transmission and color/options combos you like.
I'm on my second one since no other car excites me anymore....

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Pro: Way more civilized, easier to live with, more comfortable, rattle-free drive, awesome suspension for comfort, taken way more seriously by the lay public, interior leagues ahead of the Elige, and much larger so more visible to others and vice versa.

Cons: Depreciates versus the Elige which appreciates in value, no option for topless, loses a significant "edge" in driving dynamics to the Elige (at least in raw feel if not in metrics), lacks the iconic status.

I went from an Elise SC to an Evora, and although I love them both to death, the Evora is so much more useable on a daily basis. My wife loves it, we take it on datenight, I daily drive it, everyone loves it, etc etc.

·
Registered
2021 Evora GT
2,469 Posts
Oh yes, I have to share with my wife too.

·
Registered
7,368 Posts
Awesome machines. If you like an Exige, you will think you have awakened in the future with an Evora.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I currently have an 05 Elise and I'm looking to upgrade to something a little less savage. You know, something I can actually use the A/C in, and also not worry about overheating in standstill traffic, but still a Lotus.

What are some of the known issues, major fault points, and general knowledge I should take into account before making the jump to Evora?

I've found out about the joys and heartaches of owning a Lotus with my Elise but I'm now looking for something a bit more civilized, so sway me one way or the other.

Thanks,

Jeff
The first paragraph means you're ready

They have their quirks - the newer you can get the less quirks you'll have to deal with. The Chinese cars are great value and have had a lot of the quirks fixed.

I've only had my Evora for 10 days so there's no heartaches and the joy of having it have been :nanner:, even in the short time. My Elise and I will be together 7 years soon and thinking back there really hasn't been any real heartaches with the ownership. I still have it but its at a friends and I've really started to miss it.

The Evora is so much more grown up and is way faster than the Elise. My wife likes going places in the Evora but still likes the Elise for sunday drives. I guess if I really had to pick only one it would be the Evora but the Elise is still very special. I guess the reason I got one is as I get older the rawness gets a little wearing when you're not out for fun.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
If a person is coming from an Elise or Exige and wants something more well rounded, I think they'll really love the Evora. Now, if a person is coming from a BMW, Lexus, or other luxury car (or a 1995 Honda Civic CXrotfl) and expect the same fit and finish and lack of issues, then a person may be disappointed.

Basically, if you can handle the quirks of owning an Elise or Exige, you can handle the quirks of owning an Evora.

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
If the Elise was the car interpretation of a Ducati motorcycle ... Then my Evora is the car interpretation of my Victory Cross series motorcycle. The comfort of a cruiser with sports bike performance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.