The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have always liked the looks of a car that's exterior is all Carbon Fiber. I believe there are a select few here that have done this conversion. I know it is expensive, however I see my Elise as a car that I will be keeping for many years to come, and this conversion will more than likely be cheaper than purchasing another car that thrills me as much.

I am not interested in a fake Carbon Fiber looking Wrap.

Also I plan on completely documenting the conversion on line.

So I would like to open this thread up for discussion.

1) Does the clear coat with UV protection truly prevent the deterioration of the CF? (Including the change in Color)

2) I would like the Carbon Fiber to be Visible, so just a Clear Coat. Thus does anyone know of a manufacturer who's product would be Show Quality?

3) I would like the Clams to be as close to Stock (2006) as Possible.

4) Would love to hear about any feedback (Pos and Neg) about different suppliers/manufacturers.

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
talk to HKFEVER

·
Registered
122 Posts
There are different quality grades of clear coat. They range up to several hundred per gallon plus hardener etc. the higher the quality, the more protection you will get from the sun. The more layers you put on, the more protection you will get. Just don't overdo it because clear coat now is slightly yellow so the more layers you put on, the more yellow will show.

High quality clear can give you full protection, but that still means you have to do your regular wash and wax. Good luck with the project.

·
Carbon Fiber
1,637 Posts
You need to have it all made by one guy that knows how to lineup the weave of the fiber.

·
Relapsing Honda fan
1,259 Posts
I've had plenty of carbon hoods, fenders, spoilers and what not. If your putting it on the outside of a car, expect to get 2 years use at most. Rock chips, shrinkage, vibration, heat all ruins the finish. You can block sand it and reclear the parts but once you get a stress crack in the clear, it's visually junk. I've seen the Seibon all carbon Elise in person a few times, DON'T BUY THEIR STUFF. The fitment is poor, it fades to a goldish green and it weighs more than the stock parts.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I don't know if you're looking for opinions, but beyond the purely subjective (to me CF looks tacky except in very small doses, I realize not so to others), you're going to destroy one of the valuable and interesting parts of the car. Lotus really does know what they're doing with their composite manufacturing, and the fiberglass in your car has different thicknesses and compound curves that are going to be virtually impossible to duplicate by anyone without a very sophisticated manufacturing setup. I think you're much more likely to end up with something that looks like a kit car, and a not very nice and squeaky one at that, than what you're envisioning.

·
Premium Member
5,633 Posts
Well I have always liked the looks of a car that's exterior is all Carbon Fiber. I believe there are a select few here that have done this conversion. I know it is expensive, however I see my Elise as a car that I will be keeping for many years to come, and this conversion will more than likely be cheaper than purchasing another car that thrills me as much.

I am not interested in a fake Carbon Fiber looking Wrap.

Also I plan on completely documenting the conversion on line.

So I would like to open this thread up for discussion.

1) Does the clear coat with UV protection truly prevent the deterioration of the CF? (Including the change in Color)

2) I would like the Carbon Fiber to be Visible, so just a Clear Coat. Thus does anyone know of a manufacturer who's product would be Show Quality?

3) I would like the Clams to be as close to Stock (2006) as Possible.

4) Would love to hear about any feedback (Pos and Neg) about different suppliers/manufacturers.
If you want to learn about Carbon, talk to Rich (RB Composites) although Richie (JR) is making the production now, Dad is overseen the work and quality and Rich (dad) is a very knowledgeable person when it comes to virtually any kind of composite, he's been doing it for many years!! not to mention two great guys.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
If you want to learn about Carbon, talk to Rich (RB Composites) although Richie (JR) is making the production now, Dad is overseen the work and quality and Rich (dad) is a very knowledgeable person when it comes to virtually any kind of composite, he's been doing it for many years!! not to mention two great guys.
Agree 100%, I was about to say the same. I've been to Rich's huge shop a few times and hang out with him and his son - great people and becoming good friends. Rich is a very down-to-earth, super nice guy who is truly a master of his craft as his family has been in the business building stuff with composite materials since the the early 70's and earlier! When he talks about the manufacturing process and the composite materials/chemicals involved, he sounded like a chemist or a chemistry professor - totally lost me!

Fortunately, I saw in person a lot of their currently custom designs and CF creations/projects that hopefully will be available in the near future. I've already told them I'll take first dibs one of everything! Trust me, these are truly custom designed and made parts from scratch personally by Rich and Richie, through a series of trials and errors - not monkey-see-monkey-do molded oem parts and poorly fitted from a third world country! 'Nuf said.

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
there is one in the US, it had like a "gaudy" yellow grill in it or something. there is one in HK too...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts