The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Tire abuser
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
***EDIT*** Fixed it!! No huge hole required! See post 43.

Well, maybe not "huge".... but maybe 1/2".

I have something trapped under the ribbed extrusion on the floor board. It sounds like two loose quarters sliding across the floor every time I corner, which is a lot:D. There is no access to this area that I can find. I have already verified the pieces are there with a large magnet and tried just taping the magnet there to hold the loose parts secure. No luck. At this point, it seems reasonable to just pull the seat, drill a hole and remove the item(s) with another magnet. I would then just use a push-in cap to plug it neatly. It would be on the back edge of the extrusion under the seat (marked by the red arrow below).

Got a better idea? Would love to hear it.

Attachments

·
2006 Exige
931 Posts
I can understand why you want to get that money out of there. 50 cents is 50 cents, right?

Have you tried one of those very small, but very powerful rare earth magnets? That would definitely be a temp fix to hold the stuff in place.

Otherwise, I'd look for the area where the quarters were able to squeeze through in the first place. Then use your magnet trick to coax them out of there.

·
Addict
2007 Lotus Exige S
1,514 Posts
earplugs.

They got in there somehow, so you should be able to remove them, especially if the magnet moves them. Maybe a smaller hole first to put some silicone or something else in to hold them place.

·
Tire abuser
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wonder how something would have gotten in there.
I installed the sys.6.pak a while back. Everything was fine after that, but after the last time I removed my seats something was loose. I suspect that one of the nuts you drill through during the install broke off.

I can understand why you want to get that money out of there. 50 cents is 50 cents, right?

Have you tried one of those very small, but very powerful rare earth magnets? That would definitely be a temp fix to hold the stuff in place.

Otherwise, I'd look for the area where the quarters were able to squeeze through in the first place. Then use your magnet trick to coax them out of there.
I have tried the small rare earth magnets and a larger magnet as well. There are a couple taped in there now. They don't hold strong enough through the aluminum to work much past .3 lateral G's (best guess). I really don't think something can work it's way in, or out. The area looks completely sealed to me.

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
There are some pretty small diameter fiber optic tools that could probably be snaked in through a tiny hole. It would suck to discover that the offending pieces are too big to remove. Interesting also that they are attracted to a magnet...

I'm wondering if some seat attachment hardware somehow broke off or otherwise got loose in that space. I can understand why it drive you nuts though. I once spilled some loose change on the floor and it sounded like my car was falling apart. That aluminum chassis box is a natural sound amplifier.

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
Rather than get it out maybe fill it with spray foam to lock whatever is in there in place. Just an idea.
Maybe not a bad idea if plans A, B, and C don't work...

OTOH, if you screw that up it could complicate everything immensely. I'd say a tube would have to be snaked into the furthest part of the space and then withdrawn slowly as the space fills completely with foam.

·
Tire abuser
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Maybe not a bad idea if plans A, B, and C don't work...

OTOH, if you screw that up it could complicate everything immensely. I'd say a tube would have to be snaked into the furthest part of the space and then withdrawn slowly as the space fills completely with foam.
That is what I was thinking... It's not a bad idea, but if I execute poorly, things could be worse.

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
You need a louder exhaust :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
12,140 Posts
It's been yrs since I had shift mechanism cover off, but does that area give one an opening?

·
Tire abuser
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's been yrs since I had shift mechanism cover off, but does that area give one an opening?
No, it is one solid piece like the picture in my first post. The shift structure bolts down to it.

·
Registered
7,350 Posts
What's the harm in drilling a hole?

But then, I'm a Dentist. That's how we fix lotsa things.

·
Premium Member
12,140 Posts

·
Tire abuser
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What's the harm in drilling a hole?

But then, I'm a Dentist. That's how we fix lotsa things.
That is mostly how I felt, but there is something about the irreversible procedures.... that is like pulling a healthy tooth. I could regret it later and I just don't like regret. It is probably why I don't have tattoos. Also, it would be my luck to drill in there and find out that is where the wiring harness really runs, or the dilithium crystals are in there. Even worse, maybe a 1/2" hole in that spot will make your car fold in half like when you trim out for a fuel pump. Ok, not really, but it would be permanent.

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
Maybe try a couple large rare earth magnets under the bottom. I'd guess that with the bottom being flat it may be thinner than the ribbed top section.

·
2006 Exige
931 Posts
Maybe try a couple large rare earth magnets under the bottom. I'd guess that with the bottom being flat it may be thinner than the ribbed top section.
Please don't do that. It would disrupt the airflow on it's smooth path to the diffuser. :D

I know what you mean about being hesitant about the drilling. I would try EVERYTHING before drilling or even putting foam in there.

·
Registered
7,350 Posts
If you were closer I'd be glad to drill 'em for you :)

image.jpg

There are no wires or crystals there, and you've already manned up and drilled the holes for the syspac. I breathed deeply myself just before doing that.

Try mounting a wing or some canards. That's really a measure, measure, measure, aim, measure, here we go.

My concern is that we make our access and can't manuver the items to it.

What if it's Leprechaun treasure?

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
If you were closer I'd be glad to drill 'em for you :)
Perfect! You could pump him up with some nitrous oxide to steady his nerves first... Then drill away! :D

1 - 20 of 49 Posts