The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is very, very fast for an NA m3 (highly modded--all bolt ons, cams, full suspension, BBK, etc), but it's starting to get along in miles (60K), and the consumables are very expensive. Would I regret moving into an Exige S for a track car and some daily duty?

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Do some searching. The M3 and Exige have almost nothing in common except for 4 wheels. And your modded M3 is gonna be faster than any Exige S you get.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I had an 2003 m3,also modded with suspension, header, exhaust, bbk, ecu etc. Recently I replaced it with an Exige S. I can say they are totally two different cars. In general overall the m3 would win hands down, in terms of daily driven, storage space, and comfort. But the lotus does gives you smiles on twisty roads and on the track. Yes I agree is not the fastest car out there, but I have more statisfaction driving the Lotus then the m3 on the track. The fit and finish of the car is not the greatest, but once you drive it on the track you will appricate the car more. I think at the end of the day, you would be better of with a 2nd car. I do daily drive the Lotus, the only problem is storage space are limited when you want to do some stocking up the fridge etc. No regrets here

good luck :wave:

My car is very, very fast for an NA m3 (highly modded--all bolt ons, cams, full suspension, BBK, etc), but it's starting to get along in miles (60K), and the consumables are very expensive. Would I regret moving into an Exige S for a track car and some daily duty?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Depends on how much daily driving. If you are talking 90% track and 10% street, then go for it. But if you still want to put 5,000+ street miles on the Exige each year, I don't encourage the switch.

I have owned an E46 M3 and currently own an Exige. There is no comparison whatsoever to the street performance between these two. I would never trade an M3 for an Exige if a lot of street driving was my objective.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I just traded my 03 M3 for the Exige S 240, totally different cars! I would put about 5k miles per year on the M3 per year, most was driving to and from tracks and auto-xs. For me the Exige is what I wanted, bare bones, fast, a race car...but the M3 is a joy to drive daily in traffic and what not. If your M3s primary function is to race, get the Exige then. The Exige is so exotic I think everyone should have atleast one in their lifetime. Good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
30 Posts
M3 vs Exige S

I sold my modified E46 M3 for the Exige S. My M3 had full ground control susp, Brembo's, track wheels & R comp tires etc. On the street the M3 is way more practical but in modified form not that much more comfortable. On the track the M3 was fast, predictable and great fun but a truck compared to the Lotus. The M3 was working very hard and eating up expensive bits while the Lotus feels more like your taking a spin in the country. It is so much lighter that it doesn't seem to be working very hard.

·
Registered
64 Posts
When I had my e46 M3, I absolutely worshipped it. It truly was my 'baby;' I did a lot of suspension work and took great care of it. Now with my 240, I don't miss it one bit. Make sure you have a daily driver, however; Absence (absynthe? heh heh) will make driving your Exige much more of a special experience each time you shoehorn yourself in the cockpit.:)

·
Registered
22 Posts
i was considering trading my 02 M3 for a 911 turbo or a GT-R...until i test drove a couple of elises. i got an 07 exige s about a week later. and since the exige was less expensive than the 911t or the GT-R, i kept the M3. so far i haven't driven the M3 even once since i got the exige. i'm sure i'll appreciate the M3 once i start driving it again, but for now i'm really enjoying the exige.

·
Registered
86 Posts
M3 swap

I sold my 2003 M3 last year for a 08 Exige 240S.
I use it as my daily driver; the only thing I really miss is the lack of storage.
I don't miss the extra mass, the obtrusive traction control, the tarty red lights, the BMW dealer, etc.
I do love the lack of inertia and the purity of its driving experience; it's the best handling car I've ever owned.

·
Registered
22 Posts
update: i've been driving the M3 this week b/c of all the rain. let me tell you, that thing feels (and handles) like a yacht compared to the exige. my new nickname for the M3 is Das Boat.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts