The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
If you were going to track your Elise than why didn't you purchase the hardtop. If you show up to the track with the hardtop on they cannot argue that it's a convertible.

BTW I have been doing BMW CCA schools up at Lime Rock and Watkins Glen since 1993. I drove my vette up at the Glen from '93 to '95 and the Genesse Valley Chap. of BMW CCA never once gave me a hard time. The vette is a targa just like the Elise and as long as you show up to the track with the hard top on they cannot give you a problem.

Mitch

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
ringmeister said:
Unfortunately he asked first instead of just showing up and probably ruined it for the rest of us. The Vette targa top isn't even made from body material, it's GLASS! I see tons of them at BMW schools with no questions asked.
I hope to God this guy did not ruin it for the rest of us. For if he did I will send the great Borat from the Ali G show to Crush him. LOL, just kidding.

Hey Ring can you ask CCA about the Elise since you have been doing and instructing the schools for over 15 years. Please find out for us. I mean if they really aren't going to allow the Elise with the hardtop into the drivers school, than there is no point for me getting this car.

Best Wishes,
Mitch

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
ringmeister said:
The S2000 is a convertible with a hard top attached to it exactly like a Miata and they haven't been allowed either in many BMW CCA chapter schools. The Elise is a Targa like the 911 targa and like the C4, C5 and C6 Vette which most if not all BMW CCA chapters allow in their schools.
Hey Ring,

So what did you find out with the BMW CCA in regards to the Elise? Are they going to let it in or not???

Inquiring minds want to know.

Mitch

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Hans Stuck said:
Really?! You'd pass on the Elise just because BMWCCA won't let you do their track events? I'm totally amazed given your long-standing enthusiasm for the car. Why not run with the PCA? They have no problem letting their Boxsters run. I guess you could just continue to wait for an Exige.

And...I may have mentioned this story before in another post, but it's worth repeating.....

I did a BMWCCA school in May at Summit Point. A well known BMW guy (originally from New Jersey and used to own & work on E30 M3s) showed up with his '04 Honda S2000 - equipped with hardtop. He ran 2 sessions and was really smoking most everything out there (E46 M3, EVO, STi, R32, E30 M3, etc.) The BMW chief instructor told him, "I'll let you finish the day, but you won't be able to bring that car back to any other CCA schools because it doesn't have a fixed roof." He was a little pissed since he had just bought the hardtop expressly for the schools. He and I agreed that the Chief Instructor's decision was based partly on the ass-whooping he put on the BMWs and most everything else.

Anyway -- I hope the CCA allows the Elise to run with a hardtop. But if they allow the Elise -- they damn well better allow an S2000 with hardtop!!

[Getting ready for my '07 Boxster S Coupe]

BS, I have been doing BMW CAA schools since 1992 and I have never once seen a convertible with or without at top in any east coast CCA school. IT IS NOT ALLOWED period.

Mitch

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Hans Stuck said:
BS to the story or to our belief that being told not come back was motivated by the ass-whooping?

As to the story: Why the hell would I make it up, Mitch?

It was the weekend of May 22-23, National Capital Chapter of BMWCCA. Summit Point Jefferson Circuit. The S2000 was an '04 and it was red. I have the guy's name if you need it. The Chief instructor was a woman named Miriam. She has an older 911SC.
You need more proof & details? It was very very hot that weekend. Some idiot spun his E46 M3 off the skidpad into the mud ditch on the inside part of the pad.
What else do you require? The S2000 owner has the initials C.J.

As to our belief: Well, I just think that the CCA is a little arbitrary about this stuff. They let cars they like run. I doubt a 246 Dino is any safer, but they'd let that run. Sure -- it's a "Targa" style car....but they like it better too.

I don't worry about it. FATT gives you more track time at Summit Point and they allow open cars. So does the PCA. There are many options.

** But you didn't answer the question --- So ... if the BMWCCA says "NO" to the Elise, are you going to back out on buying it, Mitch? Or does the M3 need to sell first? Maybe I should call "BS" on you / that.
Hans,

I ment BS to the fact that there was a convertible on the track. CCA's policy is that NO convertibles are allowed at any of their track events. This is an insurance issue. You buddy should not have even been let onto the track in the first place. I am amazed they let him out. CCA rules are clear on this.

If you would like I can put you in touch with BMW CCA driving events commitee.They can dicuss this further with you.

Yes I am serious if BMW CCA does NOT allow the Elise into their schools I will NOT purchase my Elise. I am 100% serious about this. I am purchasing this car for track days and if I can't take it on the track with my favorite group of friends that I have been doing these events for the past 12 years than I don't need this car. After all the track is where this car should feel at home.
I am almost certain that they will allow the Elise at all CCA events as long as the car has the optional hardtop.

Spoke with PCA. I would have to join PCA and own a Porsche in order for them to allow me to take the Elise onto the track. No option for me since I donot own a Porsche.

BMW CCA is on of the nicest and most liberal of all the big three( Ferrari,Porsche, BMW ). They will let just about anything run at their events as long as it;s NOT a convertible. I have run with them for years and have had nothing but good times.

Hans why you are still around on this list is beyond the beyond??You are NOT even getting an Elise. Why don't you just go to your Porsche Boxter list or S2000 list or Ducati Troy Bayliess list and enjoy life. Stop annoying folks that are buying or currently have Elise's.

Happy Trails,
Mitch

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
ekological said:
Gary posted a reply from the GVC meeting saying that it would be allowed so long as it had a hardtop. :clap:

Thanks for that. Hey where is Gary's post?? I need to see it for my own eyes.

I was 100% sure that CCA would allow the Elise with the hardtop since the car is a Targa and NOT a convertible. Hey my old 92 Vette was a Targa and all the CCA chapters allowed it as long as it had the top on.

Thanks again,
Mitch

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
ekological said:
This was my sentiment exactly. People were saying, "Why don't you run with ____ club?" I have found that the BMW CCA has consistently run the most organized schools out there. Not to mention that I have a lot of friends who run with the BMW club since I've had an M3 since Dec '98. So it looks like I'll have to get a hardtop, but on the other hand...with all these posts of pictures of actual cars and colors (remember, I ordered the car sight unseen), I'm kinda gravitating towards something other than nightfall blue. Lazer blue is real nice but now that the car is $1000 more and it's no longer offered....ugh. I would lean towards chrome orange, red or yellow. There have been a few times where I was almost pushed off the road because the SUV or pickup driver didn't notice I was there :huh:
Yes I know BMW CCA runs the best schools around. My Chapter, NJ Chapter has been running drivers schools in the USA longer than any other Chapter or car club in the USA. They have been running driver schools since 1970. No other club can say that!!!!!!

Best Wishes,
Mitch

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
suv_bait said:
Since when? Did I miss something? Oh well, if so, it can only make my decision easier (fewer choices).

What other clubs have you run with besides the 'CCA? They are one of my least favorite groups to run with... they're fun when you're a beginner but they are just way to conservative to keep being fun as you get faster and get addicted to more and more track time. They even frown upon driving on r-comps, even Toyo's.

I wonder if the next debate we'll be having after this all gets sorted out is whether LSS is kosher with the 'CCA! :rolleyes:

- John
'95 M3
Lazer Blue was originally going to be discontinued. Not sure this still holds. It was a $1,200 lifestyle paint option.

BMW CCA conservative?? I have run with them all of my driving school life. I started in the beginners run group and now I run in the instructors run group. As long as your a good mannered driver you move up the ladder and eventually run with the instructors and they are by no means conservative!!!!

Best Wishes,
Mitch
#15 HRM Lazer Blue on order

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.